Ken Rosenthal Article for May

Deadwood Fan

Ken Rosenthal posted a new article on the athletic about what gives for the Orioles and when. I will summarize what he said.  It is'nt know if John and Lou will be more proactive than Peter.  Duquette considered firing Roger McDowell after last season.  Coolbaugh could also be let go. Buck is likely in the organization either as a manager or a front office role. Buck also would fight about a shakeup of his staff. Not an exact internal candidate to replace McDowell or Coolbaugh.  Thinks the Angelos sons are reaching a breaking point with Duquette than Peter would and maybe sensitive to a change with Duquette resume.  Duquette could be ousted sooner if he tries to push for a coaching change.  Brian Graham could be a replacement for Duquette during the season.  Os should be worried about attendance and will need to send a message to the fans about a long overdue overhaul. 

That Duquette could possibly be let go by the Angelos sons for pushing for coaching changes seems like more of ownership not letting a guy do his job. I think we’ve seen this movie before. But I guess the other side  of the coin is that why would a guy on his way out the door make any personnel changes anyway?

So Brian Graham (mentioned as possible replacement) is Director of Player Development since ‘13. I had to Google him as I was not familiar with the name. Former Indians minor league manager and had similar role in development for with Pirates and was interim GM for awhile. 

52 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Interesting that there was no mention of Brady.

There is a lot of theorizing that Brady could be the next GM.  Not a lot of evidence or quotes pointing towards it.  

Sounds like a lot of truth. Buck seems to only want his guys that he’s directly worked with for coaches. Seems like we’ve gone through that coaching tree. 

We are all expecting big changes and it’s probably not going to be much. Trade the FAs. Shake up the coaching staff. Bat Davis 9th. 

The article is lacking in any real revelations and full of speculation, which he covers it often by using "might" such as

Duquette, though, might no longer possess the authority to make coaching changes.

But Angelos’ sons might reach a breaking point sooner than their father would.

Then again, the front-office dynamic might change quickly if Duquette attempts to force a showdown, perhaps by pushing to change coaches, perhaps by attempting to resolve his own future.

Then he tries to have it both ways

The Orioles should not be inclined to embarrass Duquette publicly, and the Angelos sons, if they are sensitive to public perception, probably do not want their first major move to be a dismissal of a largely successful executive.

And perhaps the dynamic should change quickly, for the sake of all involved.

He ends with

Firing coaches will not bring the fans back. Neither will parting with Duquette. But at some point, the Orioles will need to send a message to their fan base, and begin a complete, fundamental overhaul that is long overdue.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

The article is lacking in any real revelations and full of speculation, which he covers it often by using "might" such as

Then he tries to have it both ways

He ends with

DD was "largely successful" from 2012-2014, although some of that success is owed to Andy MacPhail.  His performance from 2015-present can be charitably described as disappointing (although with an asterick if he was in fact forced to sign the horrendous CD deal).  That's 3+ years of subpar.  Since 2014, he made a good deal for Trumbo and a decent deal for Seth Smith.  Just about everything else has been awful.  

I want to see the whole lot of them gone. Clean house, front office and coaching staff. This is arrangement no longer works, and there needs to be some accountability for all the poor decisions over the past few years.

Probably hoping against hope that John will be much different from Peter, but I'm willing to have an open mind about John. That said, if Buck is retained and left largely untouched through all of this, I will be very disappointed. IMO, the team clearly needs a new direction, and Buck's stubborn loyalty in certain respects would not be ideal for a rebuild. Buck's a great manager, but he doesn't seem to learn from some of his mistakes and I think it's time to move on.

1 hour ago, Ballmer Bruce said:

If this team does not beef up scouting staff and really compete on Latin free agents they will simply not compete consistently in the AL East.

Agreed, 100%.  We can banter back and forth about Brady, Buck, Dan, whoever....but as long as the Orioles decide not to invest huge into scouting, development and the Latin market, we'll never be good.  

IMO, this is the only thing worth considering when searching for a new GM.  Can they look at the Latin market, sign, draft, develop, etc.  Seeing it now with the Yankees, seeing it with the Sox.  

4 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

I want to see the whole lot of them gone. Clean house, front office and coaching staff. This is arrangement no longer works, and there needs to be some accountability for all the poor decisions over the past few years.

Probably hoping against hope that John will be much different from Peter, but I'm willing to have an open mind about John. That said, if Buck is retained and left largely untouched through all of this, I will be very disappointed. IMO, the team clearly needs a new direction, and Buck's stubborn loyalty in certain respects would not be ideal for a rebuild. Buck's a great manager, but he doesn't seem to learn from some of his mistakes and I think it's time to move on.

I'm kind of with you but Buck is a big part of the team, clubhouse, and culture, for better or worse.  Fire everyone and who leads the team day to day?  You can promote from the minors in the meantime but you still have 25 men playing baseball.  I'd be fine with clearing house if there was a next step planned or they had already done interviews under the radar but with no plan it could be even worse.  I could see the coach and front office searches going on into the off season and then into next year as well.  This whole thing is such a mess 

Archived