2018 Trade Deadline

Yardball85

1 hour ago, Oriol3s said:

We could get a similar but BETTER return for Valencia, except the FO seems to just wait until any potential market disappears.

Slow motion train wreck...just waiting for Manny to get hurt...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking at the proposed trade of Manny to the Phillies....I believe the handiwork of Bowden.

Philadelphia Phillies land Manny Machado and Zach Britton from the Baltimore Orioles for J.P. Crawford, Adonis Medina, Cole Irvin and Connor Seabold.

It's not terrible on the surface but why on earth the Os would want Crawford is beyond me. Crawford is .200 hitter at the majors and a players whose batting average and OPS dropped substantially at each level of the minors. He's destined to be a defensive only SS and  more likely a utility infielder imo.

Medina is their #2 rated prospect and Irvin and Seabold both reside in their top 30.

I'd prefer to go with Suarez, De La Santos, Irvin, and perhaps Muziotti. It likely removes the need for Brittion (although at this point he probably returns little). 

Its sets the Os up in the pitching department and gives the Os a high ceiling prospect. I'm not impressed with their list of infielders. Perhaps Gambia is one you take a shot on?

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm looking at the proposed trade of Manny to the Phillies....I believe the handiwork of Bowden.

It's not terrible on the surface but why on earth the Os would want Crawford is beyond me. Crawford is .200 hitter at the majors and a players whose batting average and OPS dropped substantially at each level of the minors. He's destined to be a defensive only SS and  more likely a utility infielder imo.

Medina is their #2 rated prospect and Irvin and Seabold both reside in their top 30.

I'd prefer to go with Suarez, De La Santos, Irvin, and perhaps Muziotti. It likely removes the need for Brittion (although at this point he probably returns little). 

Its sets the Os up in the pitching department and gives the Os a high ceiling prospect. I'm not impressed with their list of infielders. Perhaps Gambia is one you take a shot on?

I'm not sold on Crawford either but he has good plate discipline and gets on base in the minors, something that is sorely lacking on this team. Also he's projected to be an above average defender which would also be a welcome addition to the roster. 

25 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'm not sold on Crawford either but he has good plate discipline and gets on base in the minors, something that is sorely lacking on this team. Also he's projected to be an above average defender which would also be a welcome addition to the roster. 

If he hits .200 his 100 points of additional OBP is not very valuable. I'd look for a better option 

I wonder how many fans the Orioles are losing by their lack of urgency with the rebuild. I guarantee there are more and more people that just don't care. Is management aware that fan support is important? I hate to say it but even the Cleveland Browns organization seems less clueless than this Orioles clown show.

4 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I wonder how many fans the Orioles are losing by their lack of urgency with the rebuild. I guarantee there are more and more people that just don't care. Is management aware that fan support is important? I hate to say it but even the Cleveland Browns organization seems less clueless than this Orioles clown show.

A real organization would have someone in charge.  Which I don't think we do.  

9 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

For me, any Machado trade to Phillies must include Sanchez or De Los Santos. I saw De Los Samtos pitch earlier this year in Pawtucket, he was absolutely dominant.

11 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

They got Boston's #15 prospect. We could get a similar return for Valencia. Let's do it now.

hate to say it, but that will probably be our return for Jones, Britton, and Brach too.

5 hours ago, gtman55 said:

They will risk losing the educated fans at least.  An educated fan will stay focused on their losing team if there is a plan, the milb system is being fertilized by trades, solid drafts, and intl signings, etc., and young, fringy prospects are battling through the growing pains on the MLB squad as they determine their destinies as either AAAA journeymen or MLB contributors.  Those guys that do make it through the grind of a few losing seasons usually become the leaders on the winnings teams that eventually come to fruition.

15 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

For me, any Machado trade to Phillies must include Sanchez or De Los Santos. I saw De Los Samtos pitch earlier this year in Pawtucket, he was absolutely dominant.

The problem is the Orioles are going to be so worried about getting a replacement for Manny they'll settle for someone like Crawford over a more highly touted prospect that plays another position.Yes they were pushing for pitching prospects in the off season, but lets not forgot that was before they signed Cashner and Cobb. 

For what it's worth I agree with you. Get the best prospects (in this case Sanchez and De Los Santos) and worry about replacing Manny  over the winter. 

11 hours ago, SteveA said:

Red Sox get Steve Pearce from Toronto, completing Pearce's career-long quest to play for every AL East team.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/06/red-sox-acquire-steve-pearce-blue-jays-trade.html

It's a shame we weren't pro-active enough to have offered them Valencia. They might have preferred him to Pearce. Tough to say though. Pearce offers more position versatility...although he doesn't really play any position well. 

27 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

They will risk losing the educated fans at least.  An educated fan will stay focused on their losing team if there is a plan, the milb system is being fertilized by trades, solid drafts, and intl signings, etc., and young, fringy prospects are battling through the growing pains on the MLB squad as they determine their destinies as either AAAA journeymen or MLB contributors.  Those guys that do make it through the grind of a few losing seasons usually become the leaders on the winnings teams that eventually come to fruition.

Excellent point but unfortunately the Orioles management team hasn't drafted all that well, generally comes up on the short end of trades, doesn't sign international players and doesn't seem to have a cohesive plan for a rebuild. There just isn't much being done by the team that gives us fans any sense of optimism. It's almost pathetic.

I can almost guarantee if there was a poll of O's fans regarding the ownership of this team, 90%+ would welcome Angelos moving on.

5 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

I’m happy getting De La Santos and Suarez   As main components as opposed to Sanchez. You’d be getting two guys outside their top 10 but both look good. Add Cole Irvin #22 and a position prospect ... plenty of lottery tickets to choose from. I like Quinn as a leadoff CF candidate with elite 80 grade speed. He has injury concerns that lower his status. 

Id think this is a good deal the Phillies can absorb that helps the Os. If we need to eat money or throw something in fine

On 6/29/2018 at 3:09 PM, Roll Tide said:

I’m happy getting De La Santos and Suarez   As main components as opposed to Sanchez. You’d be getting two guys outside their top 10 but both look good. Add Cole Irvin #22 and a position prospect ... plenty of lottery tickets to choose from. I like Quinn as a leadoff CF candidate with elite 80 grade speed. He has injury concerns that lower his status. 

Id think this is a good deal the Phillies can absorb that helps the Os. If we need to eat money or throw something in fine

That trade would work for me.  Gotta think we can battle LAD and AZ against each other for Manny, and see what Philly comes in with as well.  I hope they are displaying an Un-Orioles level of aggressiveness on this one.

46 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

That trade would work for me.  Gotta think we can battle LAD and AZ against each other for Manny, and see what Philly comes in with as well.  I hope they are displaying an Un-Orioles level of aggressiveness on this one.

I doubt this, but am hoping the media buzz is doing some of the work for them. Having Arizona and L.A. as two of the top suitors in the same division (both with a good chance of winning the division and both likely to be the favorites after a Manny deal) could help. Ultimately, I think the Dodgers have the best chance to get something done as I think they have more options to structure a deal (and can do so without including their top pitching prospect or top hitting prospect).

Archived