Quality Starts

TonySoprano

o

The Orioles rank 7th in the Major Leagues (out of 30 teams) in Quality Starts ........ yet their overall winning percentage is under .300.

Last season, I thought that it was a minor miracle that the team managed to go 75-87 with only 2 legitimate starting pitchers (Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman) ........ and even more of a miracle that they somehow managed to be 71-68 more than 3/4 of the way into the season with the historically bad starting pitching staff that they were competing with before they nosedived in the final 23 games of the season (going 4-19.)

Subsequently, I thought that the additions of Alex Cobb and Andrew Cashner would bolster the team to (likely) win at least 85 games for the 2018 season ........ and like the author of this article, if somebody had told me prior to the start of the season that the Orioles would rank 7th out of 30 Major League teams in Quality Starts on June 15th, I would have presumed that they would be at least 5 or 6 games over .500, and subsequently be (at least) in the thick of the race for a potential Wildcard berth ........ but the fate of this 2018 Orioles team has been much, much different.

Pitching Staff has been Hurt by the O’s Reliance on the Longball

(By Zach Wilt)

http://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2018/06/zach-wilt-pitching-staff-has-been-hurt-by-os-reliance-on-longball.html

o

Yea our ERA is real bad because we've had a few utterly DISASTROUS starts that really skew the data.........but in reality it's the number of 'good starts' you get throughout the year that is a better metric of your starters ability to keep you in games imo...........instead of how many total ER you allow all season long.    Of course both things are important.

While there is no single facet of the game that we are doing really well right now............it definitely seems to be the offense that's killing us most of all.

26 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Yea our ERA is real bad because we've had a few utterly DISASTROUS starts that really skew the data.........but in reality it's the number of 'good starts' you get throughout the year that is a better metric of your starters ability to keep you in games imo...........instead of how many total ER you allow all season long.    Of course both things are important.

While there is no single facet of the game that we are doing really well right now............it definitely seems to be the offense that's killing us most of all.

Yup, dead last in runs and June has been particularly brutal.  Buck was blaming the weather back in April for the lackluster offense.  What's his excuse now?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived