Wieters at Bowie: Still Doing His Thing

Frobby

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My four year old daughter is an unashamed flirt with the Erie SeaWolves. She got an autograph. Got high fives from two young players. She told them she loved them and all the BaySox.(wrong team. I waited a few minutes to tell her she was coolaborating with the enemy. Had to ease her down) In ten years I'm gonna have problems because she is learning the arts of passing notes to the young available atheletes. LOL Im only partially kidding.

In 10 years it might be the athletes that will be the ones passing the notes. Either that or having people from the media pass notes to them. True story.

One unnamed player from Potomac asked me earlier this season after a game in Frederick to give his number to one "lucky" girl hanging out at the stadium.

Assuming health, he will make his ML debut this year...I have very little doubt about that.

I agree. I think all it is going to take will be an injury to Ramon Hernandez, and he will be up. The man is living up to all the hype and then some. When they started throwing out the Varitek and Mauer rumors when he was first drafted, I was a little sceptical. However, now I am starting to wonder if he will be better. You always hear that Markakis has the potential to win a batting title some day with his approach at the plate.... I am thinking we may hear the same thing about Weiters when he gets up.

Assuming health, he will make his ML debut this year...I have very little doubt about that.

Given MacPhail's nature, I have my doubts. Combination of not wanting to rush him and not wanting to start his service time. But, I'm not opposed to being surprised.:D

Wieters OPS is 1.081...Its obviously a small sample size but still...Gotta like that.

I don't see how they are going to be able to keep him down.

This is one of the most consistent players I've ever seen. Look at his numbers each year at Georgia Tech, then at Frederick, and now at Bowie. It's pretty much the same set of numbers, over and over again.

There is no reason to think he isn't going to be a great major league player.

My four year old daughter is an unashamed flirt with the Erie SeaWolves. She got an autograph. Got high fives from two young players. She told them she loved them and all the BaySox.(wrong team. I waited a few minutes to tell her she was coolaborating with the enemy. Had to ease her down) In ten years I'm gonna have problems because she is learning the arts of passing notes to the young available atheletes. LOL Im only partially kidding.

Ahh...so this is how you break a daughter into being an autograph hound! LOL...seriously I think it's cool that both girls and boys are into it now adays...I don't recall many girls when I was growing up interested in baseball

I went to the game on the 4th. I did not realize how big he is. He made most of the players look like little kids. I liked how went with the pitches and went to the opposite field. Just a note for those who are going down to get his autograph...if he is starting the game he will not sign before the game. He signed for me after the game and I was the only person he stopped for that night (due to the fireworks). The future looks good with him behind the plate.

Ahh...so this is how you break a daughter into being an autograph hound! LOL...seriously I think it's cool that both girls and boys are into it now adays...I don't recall many girls when I was growing up interested in baseball

This happened with my daughter. She is now 8, but got interested in baseball and collecting autographs in 2005. If you ask her, who she likes and it is always, whoever Daddy likes. We have her pitcure with many Orioles, Keys and Baysox players. She has quite an autograph and memorabilia collection. (Maybe she can challenge Roy Firestone's someday HAHA)

I went to the game on the 4th. I did not realize how big he is. He made most of the players look like little kids. I liked how went with the pitches and went to the opposite field. Just a note for those who are going down to get his autograph...if he is starting the game he will not sign before the game. He signed for me after the game and I was the only person he stopped for that night (due to the fireworks). The future looks good with him behind the plate.

This part about Matt not signing before he is starting a game is NOT true. You just have to catch him at the right time. I have seen him sign before most games as time warrents. AND YES he is a BIG guy!

This happened with my daughter. She is now 8, but got interested in baseball and collecting autographs in 2005. If you ask her, who she likes and it is always, whoever Daddy likes. We have her pitcure with many Orioles, Keys and Baysox players. She has quite an autograph and memoraibilia collection. (Maybe she can challenge Roy Firestone's someday HAHA)

Nice! I wish I had held on to alot of what I collected when I was younger and in some ways easier to get autographs and such...I guess that's why I started collecting again in my middle years...although I would say it hasn't been cheap it's been enjoyable...

I don't have kids of my own but I have one nephew with an interest in baseball and the Orioles...he's about your daughters age...he gets alot of the Orioles magazines I don't hold on to and extra stuff I pick up I think he'd like...

From Kevin Goldstein today:

Matt Wieters, C, Double-A Bowie (Orioles)

It seemed like the Orioles took a little longer than expected when it came to moving the team’s top prospect up to Double-A. Wieters hit .345/.448/.576 during his nearly three months in the Carolina League, and scouts were nearly unanimous in their calling him a man amongst boys there. Now playing up at Bowie, little has changed. Over the weekend, Wieters went 5-for-10, adding a home run on Sunday to up his Double-A numbers to .353/.463/.618 in 10 games with the Baysox—including seven walks and just three strikeouts in 34 at-bats. Now people are wondering if he’s already proven to be too good for this league as well.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7765

This idea that he would be rushed is absurd.

What? I don't care how well he's doing, saying that "he would be rushed is absurd" is absurd itself.

He'll of had less then one year of pro ball even if he gets called up in September. And saying that the possibility of rushing him with less than one year of service time is absurd?

What? I don't care how well he's doing, saying that "he would be rushed is absurd" is absurd itself.

He'll of had less then one year of pro ball even if he gets called up in September. And saying that the possibility of rushing him with less than one year of service time is absurd?

I tend to agree with you, McNutty. Especially considering Wieters is a catcher. The game is a lot faster at the ML level than it is at any level in the MiL. It's reasonable to think Wieters would be a bit over-his-head calling games, managing a staff and serving as a field general at the ML level with only 10 games of AA ball under his belt.

His bat very well may be ML ready -- it wouldn't surprise me if BAL wanted a little more development on the defensive side of things (mostly mental/experience-related issues). Catching the arms at Bowie will be a very nice step-up. Too bad he couldn't log any innings with Matusz at HiA.

Archived