Wieters at Bowie: Still Doing His Thing

Frobby

He won't see the big leagues this year as long as Hernandez is still here. If he's moved, that's a different story.

If I were running the O's, I'd keep Wieters in the minors all year, and for the first 2 weeks of next year, so that he wouldn't be eligible for free agency until after the 2015 season. In other words, I'd do exactly what Tampa did with Evan Longoria.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tend to agree with you, McNutty. Especially considering Wieters is a catcher. The game is a lot faster at the ML level than it is at any level in the MiL. It's reasonable to think Wieters would be a bit over-his-head calling games, managing a staff and serving as a field general at the ML level with only 10 games of AA ball under his belt.

His bat very well may be ML ready -- it wouldn't surprise me if BAL wanted a little more development on the defensive side of things (mostly mental/experience-related issues). Catching the arms at Bowie will be a very nice step-up. Too bad he couldn't log any innings with Matusz at HiA.

I agree with everything you said.

However, if he keeps knocking the snot out of the ball, and his coaches think he's ready to handle everything else (catching, handling the staff, mentally ready for the bigs) then I'd be fine with a cup of coffee in September - assuming he plays regularly.

My original point was that the possibility of rushing him, small as it may be, is always going to be there; particularly if you call him up THIS year.

If I were running the O's, I'd keep Wieters in the minors all year, and for the first 2 weeks of next year, so that he wouldn't be eligible for free agency until after the 2015 season. In other words, I'd do exactly what Tampa did with Evan Longoria.

If I were running the O's, I'd plan on signing Wieters long term, making his service time less of an issue. Longoria is actually a great example -- what does it matter that they saved the service time when they have already inked him to a deal that covered his 6-years and then some?

Service time is really important if you're not sure how a prospect will progress, and especially in the case of pitchers. Now, I am not saying that Wieters will without a doubt be a star. I'm just saying that in an ideal situation his service clock does not come into play becaus BAL inks him to a 6-, 7- or 8-year deal within the first couple of years.

Of course, you better lock up Markakis and Jones first, or there will be some hurt feelings.

If I were running the O's, I'd plan on signing Wieters long term, making his service time less of an issue. Longoria is actually a great example -- what does it matter that they saved the service time when they have already inked him to a deal that covered his 6-years and then some?

Note that they signed him shortly after bringing him up to the big leagues. Here is Longoria's deal:

2008: $500 K

2009: $550 K

2010: $950 K

2011: $2 mm

2012: $4.5 mm

2013: $6 mm

2014: $7.5 mm club option ($3 mm buyout)

2015: $11 mm club option

2016: $11.5 mm option (must be exercised after the 2014 season)

The key year to focus on here is 2014. If the Rays had not delayed Longoria's arrival by 10 games this year, 2014 would have been the first year he was eligible for free agency, and he'd be making a lot more than $7.5 mm in all likelihood. The Rays' decision probably saved them $4-5 mm on Longoria's long term deal.

Overall, this deal is an absolute steal for the Rays. Their decision to delay his arrival helped them to do it.

I went to the game on the 4th. I did not realize how big he is. He made most of the players look like little kids. I liked how went with the pitches and went to the opposite field. Just a note for those who are going down to get his autograph...if he is starting the game he will not sign before the game. He signed for me after the game and I was the only person he stopped for that night (due to the fireworks). The future looks good with him behind the plate.

You are right about how big he is. In Potomac I sat right next to the dugout and every time he came out he just towered over everyone. At the plate he was 1-3 but everything was hit hard, and behind the plate he threw out two runners with absolute ease. He might just be the best young ball player I've ever seen except for maybe Markakis. With those two guys you just get the idea that nothing could fluster them and they know exactly whats going on at all times.

However, about Wieters signing, thats not true. Before he began to warm Arrieta up he came out and signed a ball that an awesome security guard gave me. Heck, even Billy Rowell signed for me which was pretty neat considering how he always seemed to ignore fans last year. It was pretty sweet cause I was just standing there while the grounds crew was finishing up and back to back to back Wieters, Rowell, and Snyder all walked up to me and signed my ball.

Note that they signed him shortly after bringing him up to the big leagues. Here is Longoria's deal:

The key year to focus on here is 2014. If the Rays had not delayed Longoria's arrival by 10 games this year, 2014 would have been the first year he was eligible for free agency, and he'd be making a lot more than $7.5 mm in all likelihood. The Rays' decision probably saved them $4-5 mm on Longoria's long term deal.

Overall, this deal is an absolute steal for the Rays. Their decision to delay his arrival helped them to do it.

Right. That is why I said "less" of an issue. $4- to $5-mios over nine seasons is about half a million a year. Not insignificant, but in no way does it seem like a potential "sticking point".

There is some great insight in this thread. However, a Longoria type deal may not work with Weiters. He is repped by Boras. I agree with Frobby. Bring him up next year a couple of weeks into the season.

Well, you won't get a Longoria deal because it leaves too much money on the table -- agreed. However, you can get a long term deal -- Fielder approached MIL about being locked-up long term. You knew Wieters would cost you when you drafted him. You might as well lock him up the instant he'll discuss it, barring a disaster over the next three years, or so.

Is it a common conception that Wieters is test FA as soon as he can? That would be depressing....

Well, you won't get a Longoria deal because it leaves too much money on the table -- agreed. However, you can get a long term deal -- Fielder approached MIL about being locked-up long term. You knew Wieters would cost you when you drafted him. You might as well lock him up the instant he'll discuss it, barring a disaster over the next three years, or so.

Is it a common conception that Wieters is test FA as soon as he can? That would be depressing....

Boras is known for having his clients play out their time with the club and use free agency to get the max possible deal. Doesn't mean the client always listens, but hat has been Boras' history.

This idea that he would be rushed is absurd.

Thank you for approaching this issue in such a mature and reasoned manner, as usual. :rolleyes:

If MacPhail believes Wieters can use one full minor league season before bringing him to the majors, I can support that. Matt may be ready, but with Hernandez on hand there's no reason to bring him up now. And, even if Ramon is traded, MacPhail is known for taking a conservative approach with player development.

Boras is known for having his clients play out their time with the club and use free agency to get the max possible deal. Doesn't mean the client always listens, but hat has been Boras' history.

Right, but Fielder is a Boras client and has been after MIL for a long-term deal.

I'm with the folks that think there's no way Wieters signs a long term deal until he's nearing his final year of guaranteed service, mainly because of Boras. That, and where the organization stood at the time would obviously factor.

I'm for calling him up when he's ready. Don't try to milk a few extra months out of the guy. It'll set a bad precedent when you do go to sign long term, just like the crap they're pulling with Markakis. You don't want a bad taste in these guy's mouths.

If Wieters is ready and they don't call him up, and it even so much as leaks that it's due to service time, I may bang my head against my desk until I'm unconscious.

What would Wieters gain by signing long term with us next year and giving up years of free agency? The advantage to young guys doing that is long term security since you never know when injury may cut short your career. Wieters already has $6m in security.

I'm with the folks that think there's no way Wieters signs a long term deal until he's nearing his final year of guaranteed service, mainly because of Boras. That, and where the organization stood at the time would obviously factor.

I'm for calling him up when he's ready. Don't try to milk a few extra months out of the guy. It'll set a bad precedent when you do go to sign long term, just like the crap they're pulling with Markakis. You don't want a bad taste in these guy's mouths.

If Wieters is ready and they don't call him up, and it even so much as leaks that it's due to service time, I may bang my head against my desk until I'm unconscious.

I couldn't disagree more. Did it leave a bad taste in Longoria's mouth when the Rays delayed his call-up?

Archived