Wieters at Bowie: Still Doing His Thing

Frobby

What would Wieters gain by signing long term with us next year and giving up years of free agency? The advantage to young guys doing that is long term security since you never know when injury may cut short your career. Wieters already has $6m in security.

There is a world of difference between $6mio security and $40mio. He isn't really giving up that much. I think this is a common misconception when discussing "Boras guys". Many assume "Boras" means FA without a doubt. This is usually true for veterans, but it's a different matter with prospects.

Consider that even after Longoria's deal is done, he'll likely have one or two more dips at FA, there is time to shoot for the monster deal. I'd imagine Wieters would not be limiting himself too greatly if, come year two, he signs on for a six year deal for ballpark $30mio. He's giving two years to BAL at what would be a discount, but he's locking in his payday. He'll still be hitting FA before he turns 30.

Piazza had seven years with NYN after 30, six of which for 8-figures, annually.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't disagree more. Did it leave a bad taste in Longoria's mouth when the Rays delayed his call-up?

You're talking about a matter of weeks with Longoria. Ask Delmon Young how he felt about having his arrival delayed a year. Whether it is legit or not, players notice what the industry says about their "arrival" clock, and can get frustrated if it looks like a team is affecting their ability to earn.

That said, we are only talking weeks (I think) with Wieters, so it would likely not be an issue. As an overall concept, it is legit to consider -- I think.

Right, but Fielder is a Boras client and has been after MIL for a long-term deal.

You may be right. As I said, the client doesn't have to listen to the agent. But, that strategy has been predominant for Boras players.

I'm actually with you though, in that I don't think I'd play games with anyone as important to our future as Wieters over when he starts his major league service time. If he's the best choice to be our starting catcher at the end of spring training, then he should be, right then and there. They shouldn't screw around with him. Having said that, I suspect that the Rays and Longoria already had much of that deal in place before the season even started and both parties knew that he'd be in Tampa before the end of April.

You may be right. As I said, the client doesn't have to listen to the agent. But, that strategy has been predominant for Boras players.

I'm actually with you though, in that I don't think I'd play games with anyone as important to our future as Wieters over when he starts his major league service time. If he's the best choice to be our starting catcher at the end of spring training, then he should be, right then and there. They shouldn't screw around with him. Having said that, I suspect that the Rays and Longoria already had much of that deal in place before the season even started and both parties knew that he'd be in Tampa before the end of April.

Yeah, I just think it's a little different with young players that are under control. All you are really asking them to do is give you an extra year or two in exchange for a guaranteed payday. They still have time to go after a monster deal after the initial deal is done.

Matt struck out three times tonight. He did have a smash single down the third base line that would of been a double but the fielder got to it quick and kept him to a single.

My daughter Molly talked to the Seawolves again and got TWO balls. They also gave her chewing gum. She was going crazy with excitement. She brought her cheerleader outfit and pompoms and was chanting lets go BaySox. I honestly think I am enjoying the games at Bowie more than Baltimore. I have made like 5 BaySox games and no Orioles games. I feel kinda guilty but its sooooo much easier to get in and out of. And the kid doesnt know the difference yet.

I couldn't disagree more. Did it leave a bad taste in Longoria's mouth when the Rays delayed his call-up?

I am usually a big fan of what Frobby is advocating, but I think it is wrong to conclude the DRays saved $4M to $5M over the contract due to the two week stint in the minors.

It is hard to judge what the player gave up for the security of a LT deal versus how much was given up because of the stint in the minors.

I tend to agree with you, McNutty. Especially considering Wieters is a catcher. The game is a lot faster at the ML level than it is at any level in the MiL. It's reasonable to think Wieters would be a bit over-his-head calling games, managing a staff and serving as a field general at the ML level with only 10 games of AA ball under his belt.

His bat very well may be ML ready -- it wouldn't surprise me if BAL wanted a little more development on the defensive side of things (mostly mental/experience-related issues). Catching the arms at Bowie will be a very nice step-up. Too bad he couldn't log any innings with Matusz at HiA.

I agree with everything you said.
Even the part where Stotle called you McNutty?
I'm with the folks that think there's no way Wieters signs a long term deal until he's nearing his final year of guaranteed service, mainly because of Boras. That, and where the organization stood at the time would obviously factor.

I'm for calling him up when he's ready. Don't try to milk a few extra months out of the guy. It'll set a bad precedent when you do go to sign long term, just like the crap they're pulling with Markakis. You don't want a bad taste in these guy's mouths.

If Wieters is ready and they don't call him up, and it even so much as leaks that it's due to service time, I may bang my head against my desk until I'm unconscious.

Bad business approach: voluntarily sacrifice leverage and then play hard-ball.

Good business approach: retain leverage and then deal generously (within reasonable bounds, of course).

On that basis, I disagree with you completely about Wieters; but you’re spot on with respect to Markakis.

Archived