2017 vs. 2018: Historically Bad Starting Pitching vs. a Historically Bad Offense

OFFNY

2 hours ago, nate22 said:

Can't wait for the historically bad defense next year.

o

Hey, at least we're fortunate that they alternate the major categories on an annual basis.

They might wind up going 13-149 if they had had historically bad starting pitching, relief pitching, offense, and defense all in the same season.

o

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2018 at 9:10 PM, OFFNY said:

o

The Orioles are currently 7th (out of 30 teams) in the Major Leagues in Quality Starts.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/team-stats?season=2018&category=PITCHING&sort=6&time=0

In 2017, the Orioles were tied for 27th (out of 30 teams) in Quality Starts.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/team-stats?season=2017&category=PITCHING&sort=6&time=0

Granted that QS's is a statistic that (like many other raw statistics) can be somewhat belying in its representation of the effectiveness of a team's starting rotation, but I don't think that it is THAT belying. The Orioles' starting pitching at-large in 2018 has given the team a reasonable chance to win games at a considerably higher rate than did the 2017 starting rotation at-large.

o

o

(3 WEEKS LATER)

The Orioles are still 7th (out of 30 teams) in the Major Leagues in Quality Starts.

The sample size is now beyond the midway point of the season.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/team-stats?season=2018&category=PITCHING&sort=6&time=0

The one area in which the Orioles were sorely lacking last year has improved, while almost everything else around them has fallen apart.

o

• 3 months later...
On 6/17/2018 at 6:40 PM, OFFNY said:

o

In 2017, the Orioles had historically bad starting pitching.

In 2018, the Orioles have a historically bad offense (plus a very bad defense.)

In 50 losses so far this season the Orioles have scored 124 runs, for an average of 2.48 runs per games.

Before today's 10-4 win over the Marlins, they ranked last in the Major Leagues in runs scored overall ........ after today's 10-run outburst, they passed the Marlins (248 runs in 70 games, for an average of 3.54 runs per game. The Marlins have scored 253 runs in 72 games, for an average of 3.52 runs per game.)

Although there is still more than half of the season left to be played, the Orioles have been historically bad in 2 major categories in back-to-back seasons. 

Last year, it resulted in a disappointing 75-87 season. An extremely overworked bullpen (along with a decent offense and decent defense) somehow managed to keep the team in contention more than 3/4 of the way into the season at 71-68 after 139 games before the roof finally caved in over the final 23 games.

This year, it (the historically bad offense combined with a very bad defense) has resulted in the Orioles rivaling some of the all-time worst records in modern MLB history almost halfway into the season (a 20-50 overall record, for a .286 winning percentage.)

The starting pitching overall has modestly improved, with Andrew Cashner and David Hess faring better than Chris Tillman, Wade Miley, Ubaldo Jimenez, and Jeremy Hellickson did last year. Alex Cobb (even if you disinclude his first 3 starts of the season because of his not having had any Spring Training to work with) has been very disappointing, although I suspect that he will improve in 2019 to get back to the neighborhood of his previous career numbers.

o

On 7/7/2018 at 10:23 AM, OFFNY said:

o

(3 WEEKS LATER)

The Orioles are still 7th (out of 30 teams) in the Major Leagues in Quality Starts.

The sample size is now beyond the midway point of the season.

The one area in which the Orioles were sorely lacking last year has improved, while almost everything else around them has fallen apart.

o

o

(SEASON'S END)

The Orioles wound up a few slots below the middle of the pack in Quality Starts (18th out of 30 MLB teams.)

They finished with 64 overall.

The Indians and the Astros tied for the Major League lead in Quality Starts (98.)

The extremely bullpen-heavy Tampa Bay D-Rays were last (45) ........ considering the exceptional circumstances of the 90-72 -D-Rays, the Cincinnati Reds were essentially at the bottom of the Majors in terms of Quality Starts (46.)

The Orioles' 47-115 overall record was the worst winning percentage in club history (1954 - Present), and the 2nd worst in franchise history (1901 - Present.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/index.shtml

o

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(SEASON'S END)

The Orioles wound up a few slots below the middle of the pack in Quality Starts (18th out of 30 MLB teams.)

They finished with 64 overall.

The Indians and the Astros tied for the Major League lead in Quality Starts (98), while the extremely bullpen-heavy Tampa Bay D-Rays were last (45) ........ considering the exceptional circumstances of the 90-72 -D-Rays, the Cincinnati Reds were essentially at the bottom of the Majors in terms of Quality Starts (46.)

The Orioles' 47-115 overall record was the worst winning percentage in club history (1954 - Present), and the 2nd worst in franchise history (1901 - Present.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/index.shtml

o

Interesting that espn has a different number for quality starts: 59 which puts them last.  I wonder why the difference?

48 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Interesting that espn has a different number for quality starts: 59 which puts them last.  I wonder why the difference?

ESPN is  incorrect.  ESPN's totals by individual pitcher is Bundy 15, Cobb 15,  Cashner 13, Gausman 11, Hess , Ramirez 1, Tillman 1 equals 64.

ESPN's team totals are off.  I looked at the Astros, ESPN shows 105. They only had five pitchers with quality starts Verlander 26,  Keuchel 20, Cole, Morton 18 and McCullers 13.  This equals 97 which is the quality starts that baseball reference shos for the Astros.

10 hours ago, POR said:

ESPN is  incorrect.  ESPN's totals by individual pitcher is Bundy 15, Cobb 15,  Cashner 13, Gausman 11, Hess , Ramirez 1, Tillman 1 equals 64.

ESPN's team totals are off.  I looked at the Astros, ESPN shows 105. They only had five pitchers with quality starts Verlander 26,  Keuchel 20, Cole, Morton 18 and McCullers 13.  This equals 97 which is the quality starts that baseball reference shos for the Astros.

I don't see the numbers for Hess and Cole.  If your totals are correct, I'm assuming Hess is 8 and Cole is 20?

Archived