Olney and Ravech: O's are hemorrhaging Machado's trade value

Greg Pappas

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Been saying it for months.  There's a strong, strong chance they don't trade him.  They need to be "blown away" by an offer and no team is going to do that for a rental.  

Yeah I try to tell myself that there’s no way we could be so stupid as to not trade him, but Orioles. 

Really, I do believe we will actually deal Machado, but I expect it to be such an arduous and all-consuming project for this organization that we will fail to deal at least a couple other guys that should be traded. Think there is little chance we can get our lives together enough to deal Machado, Britton, Brach, and Jones if he waives the no trade clause (and whoever else I may be forgetting). I think there is virtually zero chance we have the bandwidth to seriously consider dealing guys a little further out that have been discussed, like Gausman. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Yeah I try to tell myself that there’s no way we could be so stupid as to not trade him, but Orioles. 

Really, I do believe we will actually deal Machado, but I expect it to be such an arduous and all-consuming project for this organization that we will fail to deal at least a couple other guys that should be traded. Think there is little chance we can get our lives together enough to deal Machado, Britton, Brach, and Jones if he waives the no trade clause (and whoever else I may be forgetting). I think there is virtually zero chance we have the bandwidth to seriously consider dealing guys a little further out that have been discussed, like Gausman. 

Management stated that no players with remaining season of control will be traded.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Management stated that no players with remaining season of control will be traded.

Would be so stupid not to dump the Trumbo contract if another team was willing to take it.

As for the rest, why get more in trade now when you can get less later?

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would be so stupid not to dump the Trumbo contract if another team was willing to take it.

As for the rest, why get more in trade now when you can get less later?

I think Trumbo actually has positive value this week. He's on everyone's hotsheet. 

51 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

TBF that says “focus on”, not that everyone else is off limits.

In that tweet yes. I heard him state it stronger elsewhere. But you are right. He may not be incharge. 

It's 6 weeks to the deadline.  The biggest driver for me in how much we'll accomplish in weeks 4-6 is if Buck steps out of the dugout into some amorphous front office capacity in the next few weeks.  Then it'll be interesting for Gausman, Schoop and Givens.

Just like SteveA's Chris Davis 2.0, I think a move like that would signal to buyers there could be better than expected communications, efficiency and execution by Baltimore.

19 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

It's 6 weeks to the deadline.  The biggest driver for me in how much we'll accomplish in weeks 4-6 is if Buck steps out of the dugout into some amorphous front office capacity in the next few weeks.  Then it'll be interesting for Gausman, Schoop and Givens.

Just like SteveA's Chris Davis 2.0, I think a move like that would signal to buyers there could be better than expected communications, efficiency and execution by Baltimore.

You think there’s a chance that transition could happen (Buck to a FO role) mid-season? I’d love to see that but doubtful.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

You think there’s a chance that transition could happen (Buck to a FO role) mid-season? I’d love to see that but doubtful.

Not a ton, but there is the precedent from when Buck went into the dugout.  It would kind of be the yin and yang of his managerial tenure, and assuming he is among the leading candidates to be the biggest brain in our leadership going forward, this is a period when the day to day managing isn't the most productive use of his time.

From Buster, this morning  http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/18674/olney-the-nationals-arent-about-to-go-away-in-2018-and-beyond

As Orioles lefty Zach Britton lingered in the trade market last summer, the Dodgers and the Astros were among the teams that felt as if they wasted a lot of time talking with the Orioles -- because in their view, Baltimore struggles with the process. The Orioles have a different perspective on this, predictably, with some club officials believing that in the end, they assessed the question of whether the offers on the table were worthwhile and decided to keep Britton. But because of how those conversations played out, some rival executives say they won’t actively engage the Orioles -- rather, they’ll wait for the Orioles to come to them with hard proposals.

Evaluators with other teams say Baltimore isn’t really pushing any Manny Machado trade talk yet. It may be that in order for the Orioles to get solid return on Machado, a major injury to a contender is needed, because there are so many left-side infielders available and so few teams seemingly looking for a third baseman or a shortstop. Unless some team steps up aggressively to take Machado off the board, in the way that the Nationals moved aggressively on Kelvin Herrera, the Orioles could go into the last days before the trade deadline without significant offers on Machado. They could be left with the same choice that the Rangers had with Yu Darvish last summer: Take 60 cents on the dollar in value, or keep the player and get nothing more than a compensation draft pick.

I may be just whistling past the graveyard, but I think Manny's trade value was always overblown, particularly in this "we know what we are doing"  environment. Manny has been too big to trade for the last last two or three years. Why trade 2-3 proto Sotos for 2-3 years of prime time Manny if you have convinced yourself that the proto sotos are going to become Sotos in 1-3 years? Plus  what you really need to get you over the hump is a red hot pitcher or two for a month and a half.

Archived