Tanner Scott has earned runs in 11 of 26 appearances (42%)

LookitsPuck

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This was less about protecting Britton than about exposing Scott to some high leverage, high pressure situations IMO.

Perhaps, but I'm just not sure that fits Buck's M.O. Not pitching Britton because he's fairly strict in his usage of his closer makes as much sense. 

I agree with you though that Scott probably doesn't get that chance if the Orioles are still in a race. I think he would have let Brach finish the inning. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asked whether Zach Britton was available for a four-out save, Showalter said: “Like I said, there’s a lot of different challenges I’m juggling here, OK? So respect that. He pitched yesterday and could have pitched the ninth inning today.”

Melewski - http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/07/cashner-on-getting-pulled-brach-on-his-struggles-after-loss-at-rogers-centre.html

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, but I'm just not sure that fits Buck's M.O. Not pitching Britton because he's fairly strict in his usage of his closer makes as much sense. 

I agree with you though that Scott probably doesn't get that chance if the Orioles are still in a race. I think he would have let Brach finish the inning. 

I guess Buck’s answer moots my theory.    But I’ll point out that Britton had 6 4-out saves from 2015-17.     So Buck does go there on occasion.    

Greg Olsen was talking about Scott on the radio the other day and said basically he is hard to figure out.  The ability to strike out the side with few foul balls and then coming into games throwing 97 and getting crushed.  Dempsey said it well after the game.  He threw an almost down the middle fast ball on the home run and he feels he should have thrown down and away to the hitter. Makes sense!  He gave the hitter a pitch he could pull.. The other thing that is bothersome is how he responds to post game TV interviews.  He doesn't look upset or bothered by his poor pitching. Brach is another story. He throws a hanging curveball to their CF and a two run HR was the result. How many times have we seen the famous hanging curveball?

6 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I have no problem with what Buck did here.  I have a big problem with the BP fastball Scott threw on 3-1 because he had no control.

Below average to fringe average command and inconsistent control. He's just 2 years removed from walking almost a batter per inning in A+ ball, he's actually come a long way and has posted a lower walk rate against MLB batters than he has in any significant span in the minors (he was 4 per 9 in 21 A ball innings). He's fanning almost 14 per 9, the improvement is noticeable for me, let him get his reps, learn from mistakes and he's just a small improvement away from being a legit late inning reliever, we've seen the flashes, it's a consistency thing. 

11 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Below average to fringe average command and inconsistent control. He's just 2 years removed from walking almost a batter per inning in A+ ball, he's actually come a long way and has posted a lower walk rate against MLB batters than he has in any significant span in the minors (he was 4 per 9 in 21 A ball innings). He's fanning almost 14 per 9, the improvement is noticeable for me, let him get his reps, learn from mistakes and he's just a small improvement away from being a legit late inning reliever, we've seen the flashes, it's a consistency thing. 

Yeah, no, I agree with all of that completely.  This season is gone and I think the kid's a valuable part going forward.  That's why I liked what Buck did.  I just meant yesterday.  Yesterday he had no control.  He missed badly on the three balls and then just threw one down the middle that hasn't landed yet.

5 hours ago, Ripken said:

Yeah, no, I agree with all of that completely.  This season is gone and I think the kid's a valuable part going forward.  That's why I liked what Buck did.  I just meant yesterday.  Yesterday he had no control.  He missed badly on the three balls and then just threw one down the middle that hasn't landed yet.

I think watching that replay of the gopher ball he threw, that the HR pitch despite being a terrible pitch, shows growth. When I saw him last year in AA, if he lost his groove and got behind 3-0, he couldn’t place one over the plate if his life depended on it. 

He’ll have to learn that with MLB hitters you just can’t do that and hope it gets fouled off because it’s 97. But I’m glad he is figuring out how to throw a strike when he needs to, even if isn’t a quality strike yet.

35 minutes ago, Why Not? said:

Thanks for sharing.

The one piece of context that I can add to the article as someone who has seen him pitch live multiple times in Bowie last year and on video a ton.

He's not throwing that grade 80 fastball anymore. He's lowered the effort in the delivery for added control (which has worked, thanks to his much improved slider), but his fastball is down a couple ticks and more importantly, it's flatter. When he was slinging in Bowie last year, he was practically unbarrel-able, I probably watched more than half of his total innings pitched and the only time his fastball gave up hits was infield hits or guys throwing the bat at it and poking it to opposite field. It basically never got hit with authority. He walked a ton of people though and that level of control wasn't going to be viable against MLB hitters, they'd just walk all day.

On 7/22/2018 at 4:19 PM, Horsepower said:

Yep he failed but it was Brach that let us down again.  How soon will it take to rid us of Brach, Castro, Givens, and Davis?

Brach and Givens could go at any time. Davis? Never.  Castro? No need.

16 minutes ago, weams said:

Brach and Givens could go at any time. Davis? Never.  Castro? No need.

Relative to Davis, we have an unusual agreement in place for the $6 M/yr deferred money, a schedule for when O's have to put money into the "fund" and how it is paid out. I don't see why they can't try to reach agreement to put the remaining $68 M (next 4 yrs) into the fund over a revised pay in schedule and stretch out the payback period. Then you DFA him and let him try to hook on with someone. If he does he makes even more $$. The O's have a long-term payout schedule that won't cripple them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived