Yusniel Díaz 2018 vs Adam Jones 2008

Sanfran327

I read a quote in Roch's blog (I think) from a scout that said that Diaz is not quite as good as Jones was when we initially traded for him. Anyone have an opinion on this? 

Jones went on to have a terrific career and is a pro's pro, but I hope Diaz ends up being a tick better. That's setting the bar awfully high, IMO, as I'm a big Jones fan, but I'm hoping for Jones' defense and power with a bit higher avg and OBP. Even if he ends up primarily playing RF for us for the next 10 years instead of CF, which is where it looks like he's heading. 

What do you think? Is Diaz's ceiling Adam Jones? Is it higher? Lower?

4 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Interesting. Thanks

Same question applies then. Relative to Markakis, where do you think Diaz's ceiling fits?

Diaz strikes out a bit less and projects to have some more power. Some scouts think he has potential to be a 20-25 home run guy. Both seen as a high average-high OBP guys who would play solid corner outfield defense. The ceiling for Diaz, IMO, is a player in the mold of Nick Markakis with more power and slightly less strikeouts. I've seen Diaz play before and I'm pretty high on him, but he really does look like a stud and potential all star.

All depends on how/if his power develops.  IF he can average like 20 HR a year, I think, as you said, his on base skills at the top of the lineup could make him more valuable than Adam, at least offensively.  But there's the rub:

If you factor in the leadership Adam provides, and his GG defense in center during his prime, I'm still inclined to say Diaz will never be quite as valauble as Adam was.  Also, it has been reported that Diaz is a pretty bad basestealer, so that doesn't look like it will be a part of his game.

Either way, I'm definitely excited to watch him develop!

8 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Interesting. Thanks

Same question applies then. Relative to Markakis, where do you think Diaz's ceiling fits?

I think so, though I worry about his lack of doubles in the minors.  Reports are that he gets the barrel of the bat on the ball well, so you'd have to think his extra-base hit totals would improve.

34 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I read a quote in Roch's blog (I think) from a scout that said that Diaz is not quite as good as Jones was when we initially traded for him. Anyone have an opinion on this? 

Jones went on to have a terrific career and is a pro's pro, but I hope Diaz ends up being a tick better. That's setting the bar awfully high, IMO, as I'm a big Jones fan, but I'm hoping for Jones' defense and power with a bit higher avg and OBP. Even if he ends up primarily playing RF for us for the next 10 years instead of CF, which is where it looks like he's heading. 

What do you think? Is Diaz's ceiling Adam Jones? Is it higher? Lower?

I don't know enough about Diaz to have an opinion on that.

4 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I think so, though I worry about his lack of doubles in the minors.  Reports are that he gets the barrel of the bat on the ball well, so you'd have to think his extra-base hit totals would improve.

I was thinking he was only 19, but I think you're right: at 21, I'd hope his power would be a bit further along than it is, too. But still, first thing's first, and you gotta barrel up the ball consistently before you can start expecting consistent HR power. 

If he's an everyday starter on or before OD 2020, with consistent all star potential, I think we'll all be happy. We could have a very well rounded OF by then.

Archived