How do you rate the return on the Britton trade?

Frobby

How do you rate the return on the Britton trade  

222 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the return for Britton?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/31/18 at 06:54

12 hours ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

If in 2022 we look back and see:

• Dillon Tate produced 4 years as solid rotation piece
  • Cody Carroll produced 4 years as set-up/closer production

Then this was an outstanding trade. Both of those products will roll into more productive trade pieces if we aren't competitive at that point. 

Fantastic point. I voted "solid" here. My ONLY concern was that these guys weren't young prospects. They're MLB-ready, for the most part, and we're aiming for that 2020 window. Kinda felt like we "should" have gone for the 18- and 19-year-olds. 

But great, great point. If these guys start performing extremely well, and we're approaching the window... we will have the option to flip them, essentially for similar players... MLB-ready. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

FWIW, there are 13 pitchers drafted in 2015 who have reached the majors, all of whom were drafted after Tate.    None that have reached the 1 WAR mark, though.    So, I wouldn’t necessarily say that Tate’s behind schedule, though you certainly would hope for a faster ascension from a 4th overall pick who went to college.    

Good info. Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Erghhhhhhhhh I hate the play in game. They should have been considering the realities of this offseason well before 2018.

It's the unfortunate reality of life in the AL East as a midmarket team. Buy and sell at the same time - this idea that you have to be either ALL IN or REBUILD is ridiculous to me.

This is one of those accepted things that people shrug off as "it's just the way it's done." Drives me bananas.

"It's just the way it has to be done." You trade your good guys when you are in the wildcard race and they move you to Portlandia.

12 hours ago, atomic said:

I voted disappointing.  Read Tate ceiling is a fourth starter and could end up as a bullpen piece.   Would have kept pitching Britton until trade deadline and saw if offers increased. 

This was better than other closer trades just this week and everyone knows what they have in Britton.  Pitching more in Bmore wouldn't change that.  There was already many teams fighting for him.  You are misunderstanding Tate's projections.  He could be a back of the rotation guy but theres a lot of potential in the bullpen.  Nobody at this point should question having a strong closer or set up type either for actually winning games or for moving for more parts.  

I voted outstanding.  I am surprised by what we got back and am more than pleased.  You get Tate who I think will be a strong bullpen arm at worse.  Carrol is a wild card, may not be a serviceable ML reliever and Rogers may not become a ML starter but the two combined is a really nice lottery ticket as add ones for a two month rental.  

1 minute ago, MikeAD said:

You are misunderstanding Tate's projections.  He could be a back of the rotation guy but theres a lot of potential in the bullpen.  

People can't become slaves to rankings and projections. When looking at Dillon Tate, there is an electric plus mid 90s fastball, and  a slider and changeup that both flash plus. Jacob Degrom was seen as a number 3 ceiling(Not saying he will become a bona fide ace, just pointing out that projections are just guesses and not a certain thing). Tate could have three plus pitches.

20 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Fantastic point. I voted "solid" here. My ONLY concern was that these guys weren't young prospects. They're MLB-ready, for the most part, and we're aiming for that 2020 window. Kinda felt like we "should" have gone for the 18- and 19-year-olds. 

But great, great point. If these guys start performing extremely well, and we're approaching the window... we will have the option to flip them, essentially for similar players... MLB-ready. 

They're not going to compete with an all-rookie team. There will have to be some experience when the next window comes around. Plus, you've got these guys through, what 2024 at the least?

5 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Just to be clear, it’s wasn’t a play in game.  They were in the postseason in 2016 even if many people here didn’t enjoy watching.

The Orioles could have made it to the 2016 World Series and lost in extra innings during Game 7 - and people on this board would still be complaining that they didn't trade Britton when his "value was at it's peak."

22 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I don't know if 18 and 19 year old players would be ready by 2020. 

42 minutes ago, theocean said:

The Orioles could have made it to the 2016 World Series and lost in extra innings during Game 7 - and people on this board would still be complaining that they didn't trade Britton when his "value was at it's peak."

I know some people. Not all. Many enjoyed the thrill of finally being competitive for five seasons.

10 minutes ago, dabirds said:

This guys says the Yankees got a steal and didn't give up anything of value.  i don't necessarily agree with him but thought I would share for anyone interested.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/07/why_yankees_trade_for_zach_britton_is_more_than_a.html

He's right. Did not cost the Yankees anything they could keep. Just like the Orioles. Did not cost them anything they could keep. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

He's right. Did not cost the Yankees anything they could keep. Just like the Orioles. Did not cost them anything they could keep. 

This  trade seems like a mutual win-win. I'm fine with that if it benefits the O's in the long run.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think the return is fine given the context. But it pains me to think what they could have demanded after this performance:

Year Age Tm W L ERA G GF SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W
2016 28 BAL 2 1 0.54 69 63 47 67 38 7 4 1 18 3 74 0 10 254 803 1.94 0.836 5.1 0.1 2.4 9.9 4.11

Why in the world would anyone trade him when they still are pushing to compete???

makes zero sense.   They were still trying to make a run and rightly so.  I’m 1000% glad they stuck with these guys, even while in the WC Chase last year.  

9 minutes ago, weams said:

I know some people. Not all. Many enjoyed the thrill of finally being competitive for five seasons.

I enjoyed watching the team during the period of relevance for sure...but I still wanted to trade Britton after 2016. 

I guess my comments are floating around somewhere from then. I don't like the idea of a mid market team spending a lot of resources on relief pitching. I also did not believe Zach would have been able to come close to duplicating his previous success.

Archived