Chris Davis Trade Possible in 2019-20?

Bradysburns

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A championship is a hell of a thing.  If he is a top 5 MVP candidate in 2020 at the deadline with sustained success between then and now then maybe.

At that point the half a season would look more like the anomaly, it's only because we are in the midst of it that it feels like the norm.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

We’re eating it either way.    Which is better:

a.    Pay a guy $23 mm/yr to put up seasons of -3 WAR, or 

b.   Pay $23.5 mm/yr to have some replacement level guy put up seasons of 0 WAR while Davis sits at home collecting his paychecks.

The answer is clearly b.

That's some ugly math, but yes... which would make Davis possibly the worst FA signing in MLB history. I would hope that he goes to the voodoo doctor this offseason. I wonder when the Orioles would pull the plug. That's a monumental decision, and if we're not winning anyway, I don't see them rushing to do that. 

This could become the ultimate slow-mo train wreck. 

3 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

We'd be eating about $70 million, give or take... but much of that is spread out over the (very far off and spread out) deferred period.

Still, for a midmarket team, that could become significant when we're trying to extend/re-sign our good players in the coming few years. That said, I expect Dan to do what's right for the team. Chris Davis is taken care of and then some for life. 

How is it significant?   We're eating it no matter what.

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

You let him hang around until you absolutely need the roster spot and then you DFA him.

I still think that happens sometime next year

I am still clinging to the desperate hope of a theory that the reason he is still batting 5th every day [at least vs RH] is because they have decided to use these 162 games to give him EVERY chance to bounce back,  and that if he fails utterly (I mean south of .600 OPS), then they will rip off the bandaid this offseason.

I mean why else would he not at least be moved down to 8 or 9 in the order?

2 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

How does that fact make it insignificant? Not sure I follow. 

You seemed to imply that whether we cut him or not has some relevance to us when it comes to us signing or extending players.   I don't see how.   The money is gone either way. 

7 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

Looking ahead at the various factors that will impact our rebuild...

CD's OPS is back over .700 for July, and has improved every month since May. 

If he reverts to form (say roughly OPS of .800 and 35 homers)... do you think we could trade him in the next couple years? Maybe the Orioles eat the deferred part of his contract ($47 million between 2023-2037), and move him for his annual base of $17 million? 

He becomes a free agent after 2022.

His up-and-down career numbers would suggest a possible re-emergence at some point. 

Either way, I am very curious to see how the CD saga plays out. I hope for his sake and ours that he rebounds. And I still think it could happen. 

Do you think he's a hopeless case? Could he rebound? Why or why not? And could he become a trade-able asset again? 

No I don't see him improving where he could be traded. 

It would have been much easier to trade Chris Tillman than Chris Davis.   Nope, this is one of those epic Ryan Howard, Carl Crawford, etc. kind of deals....although it could be worse, we still could have been paying Arod 27 million a year...and he made 410 million dollars to play steroid baseball.   410 million dollars, people!    Lordy, sometimes our society is just nuts.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think he has upside?

I think 2017 is about as it is going to get for Mancini.

As I am about the sole remaining member of the Trey fan club  (except for his mom, who I really like!...lol), I will beg to hope that a different outcome is yet to be seen for the young man. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

It would have been much easier to trade Chris Tillman than Chris Davis.   Nope, this is one of those epic Ryan Howard, Carl Crawford, etc. kind of deals....although it could be worse, we still could have been paying Arod 27 million a year...and he made 410 million dollars to play steroid baseball.   410 million dollars, people!    Lordy, sometimes our society is just nuts.  

As opposed to Davis and his Amphetamines baseball?

Just now, tntoriole said:

As I am about the sole remaining member of the Trey fan club  (except for his mom, who I really like!...lol), I will beg to hope that a different outcome is yet to be seen for the young man. 

The 2017 version had some value.  I just don't see him improving from that level.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As opposed to Davis and his Amphetamines baseball?

ADHD and prescribed treatment for it by a psychiatrist is quite different from secretly taking anabolic steroids for absolutely no other reason than to enhance his baseball performance.    And doing it against the rules and lying about it is also a different kind of problem. 

If someone had epilepsy and took brain medication to function and also happened to play MLB would they be similarly disparaged?  Probably not, but there is little difference, imho.  Chris’s performance and my frustration with it as a fan is one thing but anyone struggling with ADHD deserves only our support for treatment of a chronic and often recurrent problem.

Archived