Duquette Communication

Dipper9

On 8/1/2018 at 8:09 PM, Dipper9 said:

But don’t we want our GM to answer the call? Don’t we want our GM at least asking Manny and Schoop agents what it would take to extend them? It’s sounding more and more like these conversations don’t happen and he just assumes they are not extendable.

Do you really believe that Peter would pay Manny 250 million to stay? He already crippled the team with the Davis contract. He'd cripple the team even more if he paid Manny what they think he will get.  Dipper you seem like a good man. I am sorry but I will have to disagree with you. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Do you really believe that Peter would pay Manny 250 million to stay? He already crippled the team with the Davis contract. He'd cripple the team even more if he paid Manny what they think he will get.  Dipper you seem like a good man. I am sorry but I will have to disagree with you. 

I didn't say I would extend him, nor would I want the Orioles to.  But I DO want out GM to at least have conversations with guys who have been the face of the team for the playoff run we just had (Manny, Jones, Schoop, etc.) and tell them thanks for everything, but we are heading in a different direction.  Be open and honest instead of just not answering the phone. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, Dipper9 said:

We’ve heard from several ex Orioles that say Duquette and the Orioles never reached out to them when they became free agents, or guys like Schoop and Machado who say there was never any communication or serious attempts to offer them extensions while they were here and younger.  For the longest time I thought this was just bitterness from ex Orioles players, but when so many say the same thing, it leads me to believe there is truth behind it.  

Even with the rebuild and the young talent Duquette has brought in, we need a leader who openly communicates with the players or their agents on matters like this. 

What say you? 

I don't know. I'd like to think that Duquette and the O's at least had cursory conversations with Machado's camp regarding the potential for an extension back in 2015 or 2016, and that based on these conversations the O's determined that they were too far apart on the numbers for any deal to make sense.

But, for all I know, maybe no such conversations happened. Wouldn't put it past the organization.

As for Schoop, I have no idea if the O's wanted to keep him, but personally, I do not think he's a guy who projects to be a great player long term. I think it was reasonable to expect that the O's could bring him back at a reasonable rate but it didn't make much sense to be bothered by it.

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Our next GM really needs to be a people person. Duquette is socially awkward as all get out and he also says some unprofessional/classless crap to the media.

But he also needs to be good at personnel.  I would not want to forsake one for the other.

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Our next GM really needs to be a people person. Duquette is socially awkward as all get out and he also says some unprofessional/classless crap to the media.

Yeah I think I am ready for DD to go.  

On 8/1/2018 at 10:33 PM, ChipTait said:

It was reported that the deal for O'Day was agreed upon before he was asked about his 10/5.  When he was told it was Atlanta, he consulted with his wife and agreed to waive.

He is injured so he isn't going to have to be in Atlanta very much this year anyway. 

1 hour ago, Mondo Trasho said:

I don't know. I'd like to think that Duquette and the O's at least had cursory conversations with Machado's camp regarding the potential for an extension back in 2015 or 2016, and that based on these conversations the O's determined that they were too far apart on the numbers for any deal to make sense.

But, for all I know, maybe no such conversations happened. Wouldn't put it past the organization.

As for Schoop, I have no idea if the O's wanted to keep him, but personally, I do not think he's a guy who projects to be a great player long term. I think it was reasonable to expect that the O's could bring him back at a reasonable rate but it didn't make much sense to be bothered by it.

I am not certain that an agent needs to discuss any attempts of a controlling team to extend when he has already had superseding discussion with his client regarding taking his talents to free agency. 

On 8/5/2018 at 2:04 PM, Tx Oriole said:

Was someone directing DD then? I don't know but this comes down second hand. We don't know what went down. As for me  I will stick with the new improved DD. Seems like John has  taken off the shackles that Peter had on DD. With them getting into the international market I will have to give DD the benefit of doubt. 

I really dislike the "wipe the slate 100% clean" approach some are taking when it comes to DD. It certainly makes sense when it comes to international players, but not the totality of bad decisions and/or bad player/staff management.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

I really dislike the "wipe the slate 100% clean" approach some are taking when it comes to DD. It certainly makes sense when it comes to international players, but not the totality of bad decisions and/or bad player/staff management.

My rambling 2 cents to agree...but disagree.

I am leery of this idea of wiping the slate entirely clean as well, clearly mistakes have been made.  However, I think it has to be looked at on a time line.  DD seemed to operate unfettered until the end of the 2014 season when Toronto called and has been restrained since.  Not that every decision prior to '14 is perfect, but this is why I think it matters.  

If you are playing poker and for the first few hours you are doing well.  But then, I start imposing things on you...you can't bet over this, or I won't let you bet on that hand, or you cant raise me. Well, you will probably just leave.  But DD couldn't so he had to do the best he could.  And perhaps as a result of restrictions, mistakes were made.   I mean, it gets really convoluted.  Were they bad decisions on their own or were they bad decisions because they were the best available options that didn't work.  It's splitting hairs to be sure.  

My point is that it seemed to work until '14 and then it didn't.  For whatever reason it seems to have swung back to how it was.  There are still plenty of reason to doubt that, but the actions are building a pretty good case that this has in fact happened.

I am pretty open to DD staying if he is actually named GM and everyone reports to him.  IF we are just gonna extend everyone then I think the new words and directions are likely a smoke screen designed to make a payroll of $70MM seem palatable.

That would be an extremely cynical view, but I'd like to hear more of the plan and I'd like to know who is in charge of running it.   So, I hear what you are saying but if we are truly going to rebuild, and he want's to do it, I think we could do much worse DD.  Could we do better, I am open to that too and again, he may not want it, though that doesn't seem to be the case.  I know I don't want Brady in charge. I am on board with the new direction, but until we name a GM and know that he/she has full authority I remain skeptical.  And I remain open to some of the cynical thoughts that are floated here.

On 8/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, mdbdotcom said:

Hard to imagine that any player who is going to be a free agent would accept a trade from a situation where he's playing everyday to go to a team that plans on using him as a 4th outfielder. Whatever free agent value Adam might have this post-season, going to Philly and riding the pine would have killed it.

I kind of feel sorry for Zach Britton being traded to the Yankees .  They said that they would use him as a set up man. But he wasn't a 10-5 guy, so he has no choice.  So far, they have used him as a set up man for closer  Alrodis Chapman and in mop up when the Red Sox blew them out.  Fortunately for Zach, he can escape the Evil Empire after this season through free agency.  ☺️

Archived