Why is Caleb’s Joseph Playing?

baltfan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, Caleb’s a pretty decent backup catcher.    He’s up to 0.3 rWAR now after a slow start.   In his career he’s been worth 4.5 rWAR in 372 games.     That’s really not that shabby.   

His big issue, IMO, is that he’s subject to prolonged offensive slumps.    His overall .636 OPS (.631 this year) is about what you’d expect from a backup catcher, but he can be unproductive for months at a time.    

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its not so much enthusiasm as its realizing that he is 23 and needs time to develop. He has shown some good OBP in the minors.  Catchers can take longer than other players defensively.   He has two options after this year.  I can see him at Norfolk working on his skills with call ups when he is doing well.  

I think there is going to be a lot of patience needed with a lot of young players over the next few years.

You are using generic statements and not addressing any of the stats or assessments.  Of course you have to be patient with young players, but there is a difference between a guy struggling in his first go around in the majors and someone who's holes in their game have been exposed.

The problem is I think it's a lack of bat speed and that's not something that can be fixed. I'll honestly say I never observed the lack of bat speed in the minors, but I had heard about that as a concern from other scouts and even some whispers within the organization.

The way he was exposed this year was honestly shocking to me. I'm not sure I've ever seen a guy swing and miss at so many pitches in the strike zone not named Chris Davis (who he's actually worse than when it comes to WHIF in the strike zone).

Now maybe he can make some adjustments and learn to guess sequences better that will enable him to overcome the lack of bat speed, but the strike out numbers he's put up have been historically bad, and when you are not combining that with power it's a major red flag.

8 hours ago, foxfield said:

Aww man....

My post was a joke as anyone who "reads" you would know you call em as you see em.

I thought mentioning Kool aid would be obvious. But anyway.  I agree, dont think he is gonna be a nugget.

No, I knew you knew that. I was laughing with you. Sometimes that doesn't come across well through typing. :D

11 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

It’s a 150 AB sample size for Sisco. I’ll be worried about the bat speed and strikeout rate if they are that high around 600 AB. 

Gotta say, gonna be a tough rebuild if we are writing off prospects after a month or two in the bigs.

That's because you are a fan, and not a scout or professional baseball person that gets paid to make assessments far before 600 at bats. "Prospects" are written off far before they will ever see a month or two in the big leagues. It happens all the time and will continue to happen.

If/When Sisco forces his way back to big leagues by putting up numbers in AAA he'll get another shot. At the end of the day, assessments are made long before 600 at bats on prospects all the time so it's fruitless to say you'll wait until that point.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's because you are a fan, and not a scout or professional baseball person that gets paid to make assessments far before 600 at bats. "Prospects" are written off far before they will ever see a month or two in the big leagues. It happens all the time and will continue to happen.

If/When Sisco forces his way back to big leagues by putting up numbers in AAA he'll get another shot. At the end of the day, assessments are made long before 600 at bats on prospects all the time so it's fruitless to say you'll wait until that point.

Tracking those same scouts had him as the Os top prospect last year. ?

Age 21, second round pick in 2013, hit .317/.403/.430 in 426 at-bats between Double-A and Triple-A with 61 walks, 88 strikeouts; superior pure-hitting skills with rare combination of bat speed, smooth swing, and sharp batting eye; should have no trouble producing OBP and batting average; “

40 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Tracking those same scouts had him as the Os top prospect last year. ?

Age 21, second round pick in 2013, hit .317/.403/.430 in 426 at-bats between Double-A and Triple-A with 61 walks, 88 strikeouts; superior pure-hitting skills with rare combination of bat speed, smooth swing, and sharp batting eye; should have no trouble producing OBP and batting average; “

Christian Walker, Dariel Alvarez, Tim Berry, Jomar Reyes, Little Yaz, Henry Urrutia, Michael Ohlman, LJ Hoes, Adrian Marin, just to name a few, are players that were Top 10 prospects and got glowing reviews before too. Things change year to year.

This year, he has scuffled. When you scuffle in the lower minors, you get released. When you scuffle in the upper minors, you lose your shine. When you scuffle in the Majors and then again in the minors that year, you really lose your shine. It's a tough world.

Look what happened to Andrew Susac. Former #1 prospect, just couldn't put it together in the majors. Was on fire in Norfolk this year, then laid a giant egg in Baltimore. Some can adjust, some can't.

Archived