2019+ Positional Review Series: 2B

Greg Pappas

In this thread series, I’m seeking to review our organization-- position-by-position. It’s my hope that we can generate a lot of discussion about where we stand currently, and what the future may hold.  Regarding minor leaguers, I’d like to keep the focus on players that are our better prospects, as well as those that have a reasonable chance to contribute at the major league level for years to come.  If I miss a player that you feel should be featured, please note it.  Also, if ANYONE wants to work on the remaining series thread (Starters) please shoot me a message. I'd be happy to get the help.;) Thanks. Lastly, I'll list each 'position' below and add links as they're completed.

2019+ Positional Review Series: Catcher
2019+ Positional Review Series: 1B/DH
2019+ Positional Review Series: 2B
2019+ Positional Review Series: SS
2019+ Positional Review Series: 3B
2019+ Positional Review Series: Outfielders / Nice write-ups from @Legend_Of_Joey 
2019+ Positional Review Series: Starters
2019+ Positional Review Series: Relievers @Thato'sfan created this /

Anyway, let's get started on 2B.

MLB:

Minors:

In my limited view, we're a bit weak in middle infielders, and while Villar may regain some semblance of his excellent 2016 form, it's more likely he'll wind up playing at a league-average level at 2B.  There's nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sure he'll factor into our future, beyond his current contract, expiring after the 2020 season.  He could potentially be a trade candidate at some point.

Bannon is a decent prospect, and potentially much more than decent. After being promoted from A ball, he's playing 3B at this time for AA Bowie, but may also factor in at 2B.  I know @Luke-OH really likes him.  While scouts have varied opinions on his talents, he's certainly worthy of keeping tabs on.     

Grenier and Hall are currently playing at Delmarva and Aberdeen, respectively. Grenier is a college guy taken in the comp round of the 2018 Draft, while Hall was a Canadian high-schooler taken in the 2nd round of the 2017 Draft.  Both are shortstops, but I listed them because, as with most SS's, they could easily be moved to 2B. It's very, very early in their careers, but neither of them are hitting well so far this season. They're both considered good bets to be quality defenders as middle infielders, but as with many prospects, their bats will likely determine just how far they go.

Per @Luke-OH I'll mention Preston Palmeiro and Alexis Torres; two fringe prospects whose ceilings are an average ML 2B. The odds, however, are against them. 

Overall, I'm of the opinion that Villar will be solid for the next two years, and though we don't necessarily have a minor-leaguer ready to make an impact at the ML level anytime soon, time may reveal a quality candidate by 2021.  Like with many positions, the future beyond 2020 has the crystal baseball looking cloudy. Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

We'll probably see if Steve Wilkerson and Breyvic Valera can play some ball during the early stages of this rebuild.

Yeah, there are a number of middle-infielders, including those two, that could get some playing time, but I wanted to focus on those with a decent shot at being solid contributors. Of course, either of them, or any of the others I left out, could prove me wrong.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Barring a trade for more organizational depth at 2B I think Villar is locked in as our starter for the next two seasons. I don't seem Bannon, Grenier, or Hall knocking at the door anytime before then. 

Also, history does not indicate that Villar "will be solid" for the next two years. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I don't think it's a given that Beckham will stay at SS. He could be in the mix for 2B as well.

I think he's just as much of a hack at 2B as he is at SS. The only place you might be able to hide his defensive deficiencies is at 3B...but he doesn't hit enough to justify playing him there and we have Mountcastle. 

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Rather he be nontendered and they spend money on a stop gap shortstop 

2nded. He's just another glorified DH (who doesn't hit enough) and we already have enough of those types of players. Jose Iglesias would probably be a decent defensive stop gap. If they're truly interested in trying to field a competitive team next year they should consider moving Villar to SS and try to sign LeMahieu on a one or two year deal. 

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Also, history does not indicate that Villar "will be solid" for the next two years. 

That's just my opinion... I'm not expecting him to be 2016 good, but I feel that he'll be better than he's been since then.  Maybe something like a 725'ish OPS with 25-30 SB's? That seems middle-of-the-pack solid.

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

That's just my opinion... I'm not expecting him to be 2016 good, but I feel that he'll be better than he's been since then.  Maybe something like a 725'ish OPS with 25-30 SB's? That seems middle-of-the-pack solid.

I hope you're right. 

46 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

2nded. He's just another glorified DH (who doesn't hit enough) and we already have enough of those types of players. Jose Iglesias would probably be a decent defensive stop gap. If they're truly interested in trying to field a competitive team next year they should consider moving Villar to SS and try to sign LeMahieu on a one or two year deal. 

I sure hope they don't think they can be competitive next year. 2020 I can understand, most of the prospects from trades and the top of the system have an ETA then. 

But getting a strong defensive shortstop like Iglesias would be a good move, especially if defensive liabilities like Nunez or Mountcastle are at third baseman, 

It’s looking like Beckham and Villar are going to be the up the middle duo through 2020. 

I think both can be average defenders and post .700 OPS. Which is pretty decent. 

I think we have to include any of the SS prospects in this category, as well as Preston Palmeiro. Palmeiro is still in our top 40. 

We desperately need to add some middle IF depth through are future top picks and future sell off trades. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s looking like Beckham and Villar are going to be the up the middle duo through 2020. 

I think both can be average defenders and post .700 OPS. Which is pretty decent. 

I think we have to include any of the SS prospects in this category, as well as Preston Palmeiro. Palmeiro is still in our top 40. 

We desperately need to add some middle IF depth through are future top picks and future sell off trades. 

Somebody mentioned Mountcastle up-thread. If his arm doesn't play at third, is there a chance he could end up at 2B? He can't be worse than Steve Pearce, can he?

Archived