An Uncertain Future

Greg Pappas

This is just my viewpoint, limited to what I've read, but it's an odd time to be an Orioles fan. It's uncertainty at the highest level.  A potential permanent change in ownership, whether from Peter Angelos to his sons, or a sale of the team outright, may be in the near future. Very little is known, with bits of info filtering in here and there, though it's been speculated that Angelos' fading health is at the root of it.  It seems the ongoing MASN dispute could loom large in how this all plays out.  Some feel that the recent slew of trades was motivated in part by an attempt to cut payroll, perhaps in preparation of a potential sale.  Not since the sale of the team to Peter Angelos' group over 25 years ago have I felt this unsettled.

It's not just the ownership situation, but just as important is the rudderless ship that is our entire organization.  We don't have a "GM", manager, or staff signed for 2019 and beyond.  It seems that Peter's son John Angelos has taken the reigns, at least temporarily, and he may have been the one directing the current rebuilding efforts.  I've been impressed with many of the changes and have hope that these positive developments will continue.  As well, I hope to see a fresh start, with a new GM hired from a slew of well-respected candidates, to oversee the remaking of this organization with full autonomy. There are many others that would like to see Dan Duquette retained.  Regardless, at is stands, there is an uncertain future.  Fan limbo, so to speak.  I suspect we'll get some answers after the season... if not about ownership, at least regarding who'll be helming the ship.  

I don't buy for a second that the Angelos boys will be selling.  They are waayyyy too engaged with the team to not do everything possible, including bring in other investors, to make up for any taxes that have to be paid when Peter passes.

As for the GM and manager, agree will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  

12 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I don't buy for a second that the Angelos boys will be selling.  They are waayyyy too engaged with the team to not do everything possible, including bring in other investors, to make up for any taxes that have to be paid when Peter passes.

As for the GM and manager, agree will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  

Yeah, if I were a betting man, I'd bet that the Angelos' retain the team, but that remains to be seen.  It's the combination of ownership questions, along with with the very obvious lack of leadership beyond this season, that has me anxious for resolution.

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The GM and manager situations are unsettled, but that’s very temporary.    A few weeks into the offseason, we’ll know what’s happening.

The ownership and MASN situations could drag on much longer. 

I don't know about that.   As long as the the ownership's direction is unclear, any GM or manager that is hired or extended  is just temporary. 

The uncertainty  could linger for quite a while.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

The GM and manager situations are unsettled, but that’s very temporary.    A few weeks into the offseason, we’ll know what’s happening.

The ownership and MASN situations could drag on much longer. 

Yes, it could.  That unknown variable may be a detriment in any GM search.  Hard to say.

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

They could be engaged because they are selling. O'Day in the Gausman trade does seem to fit with the narrative of cutting costs rather than rebuilding.

Archived