2019+ Positional Review Series: SS

Greg Pappas

In this thread series, I’m seeking to review our organization-- position-by-position. It’s my hope that we can generate a lot of discussion about where we stand currently, and what the future may hold.  Regarding minor leaguers, I’d like to keep the focus on players that are our better prospects, as well as those that have a reasonable chance to contribute at the major league level for years to come.  If I miss a player that you feel should be featured, please note it.  Also, if ANYONE wants to work on the remaining series thread (Starters) please shoot me a message. I'd be happy to get the help.;) Thanks. Lastly, I'll list each 'position' below and add links as they're completed.

2019+ Positional Review Series: Catcher
2019+ Positional Review Series: 1B/DH
2019+ Positional Review Series: 2B
2019+ Positional Review Series: SS
2019+ Positional Review Series: 3B
2019+ Positional Review Series: Outfielders / Nice write-ups from @Legend_Of_Joey 
2019+ Positional Review Series: Starters
2019+ Positional Review Series: Relievers @Thato'sfan created this /

Okay, let's get started on SS.

MLB:

Minors:

As I stated in the 2B thread, we're weak in middle infielders throughout the entire organization.  Beckham's days as an Oriole are hard to prognosticate, as his shoddy defense overshadows his relatively solid overall hitting. It's hard to say where he ranks in the AL, but I'd be looking to upgrade the spot yesterday. The problem with that is that it's easier said than done.  Without a ready-made replacement, it's more likely that he stays at SS at least through the 2019 season.  Villar has spent time at SS, so I listed him here, but I suspect he'll be our 2B through the 2020 season, and spot start at SS when needed. If he plays well, he could potentially be a trade candidate at some point before his contract runs out.

Cadyn Grenier is our 2018 Draft comp pick.  He was the starting SS for the National Champion's at Oregon State, and most agree that Grenier was one of the very best defenders at the position in the entire draft and it could already be ML-ready.  There were concerns about his bat being good enough to factor as a ML regular, and while he's off to a poor hitting start as a pro, it's too small of a sample size to judge.  If Grenier can hit well enough to pair with his defense, he could eventually find himself starting for us at short.

Adam Hall was taken in the 2nd round of the 2017 Draft as a Canadian High-schooler.  After the draft, Scouting Director Gary Rajsich said of 6'-170 youngster,  “Adam Hall is an exciting shortstop. He’s very toolsy. He can run, he can throw and we believe he’ll be able to hit, so we’re looking forward to bringing him into the organization as a young shortstop.” John Sickels of MinorLeagueBall noted, "...65 or 70 speed, overall athleticism stand out, has tools to remain at shortstop; line drive hitter with the potential for some gap power; obviously we need to see him play but he’s young and athletic and plays a premium position, keep an eye on him. ETA 2022." He's not hitting particularly well thus far this season, but I imagine points of view on his potential will come more into focus by this time next season.

Regarding Jean Carmona (who I initially missed), this is what @Legend_Of_Joey posted below, "Low floor, high ceiling and is now forcing a bit of an issue at Aberdeen. Considered good enough that him and Hall are splitting time. The Brewers scouting reports on him said he has good power from both sides as a switch hitter, with a decent amount of speed. For defense, he has a decent glove and strong arm, but may fill out and move off the spot."  Thanks to Joey for that.

The rest are are guys I feel are AAAA at best types and thus I haven't noted them. However, feel free to mention anyone I may have missed or undervalued. Again, these are just my opinions (unless noted) based on what I've gathered, and thus fairly limited.

Overall, I'm of the opinion that Beckham's run at SS will continue on, but I'd love to see us target a quality defender to replace him, as soon as yesterday. Barring Grenier developing quickly as a hitter, there doesn't appear to be any quality help coming in the near term. 
Beyond 2020 the crystal baseball is looking murky, though we hold out hope for Grenier, Hall and Carmona. Thoughts?

Add in Jean Carmona, acquired in the Schoop deal.

Low floor, high ceiling and is now forcing a bit of an issue at Aberdeen. Considered good enough that him and Hall are splitting time.

The Brewers scouting reports on him said he has good power from both sides as a switch hitter, with a decent amount of speed. For defense, he has a decent glove and strong arm, but may fill out and move off the spot.

28 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Add in Jean Carmona, acquired in the Schoop deal.

Low floor, high ceiling and is now forcing a bit of an issue at Aberdeen. Considered good enough that him and Hall are splitting time.

The Brewers scouting reports on him said he has good power from both sides as a switch hitter, with a decent amount of speed. For defense, he has a decent glove and strong arm, but may fill out and move off the spot.

Yeah, I just had Luke tell me that, LOL! Totally missed him. Thanks Joey.

Archived