Orioles set record for futility, will Buck survive?

Tony-OH

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Pride, interestingly enough is one of the seven deadly sins.   But all joking aside, no, it does not have to be that way and when the team was coming around, it won down the stretch even when it meant nothing.  But since last year, it's different.  

Is that Buck?  Is it Davis and Trumbo?  Is it DD?  Brady?

If a skunk sprays a room full of people...everyone stinks.

And there we have it!  Who's the skunk?  Ownership!  When you solicit opinions from everyone and side-step organizational structure, eliminating the need for the structure in the first place, you wind up with an ad-hoc system.  That's precisely what we've had. 

Trumbo signed to negate the need for signing Davis.  I think that was attributed to DD and it shows some foresight knowing Davis was going to command big money.  Then the signing of Davis anyway.  That was attributed variously to Buck, Brady, AND big Pete.  Reason given:  that he was one of Buck's guys or whatever.  Goodness!  You can't have an organization and then side-step it when it's convenient.

If ownership doesn't finally get that there's only one chef and that everyone has their own responsibilities - as foxfield above described the situation so adeptly, then we're still doomed because there is no long view or commitment to structure.  It's just, "What feels right now?" or some other similarly ludicrous organizational management structure.

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

Just one example that came to mind.

Wade Miley has a 2.23 ERA for Milwaukee.

Jeremy Hellickson has a 3.54 ERA for Washington.

TJ McFarland has a 1.93 ERA for Arizona.

Yovani Gallardo is 7-1 for Texas.

Arrieta, Strop.

That's SEVEN guys that we wanted GONE.   They were so bad for us we were sick of them and most people here never wanted to see them again.   And they go somewhere else and are effective in one way or another.

You bring up Miggy... we let him go too and he was effective for the White Sox for over a year.

No one shed a tear when Feldman walked after we briefly had him as a rental.   He went and put up a 107+ ERA for 350 innings with the Astros after leaving here.

So many guys that are so bad we are actively hoping they get released on this message board, go on to have success after they leave here.   How many examples do you need?   There's something rotten here.

Could be the Camden effect? I don't really know but that's a lot of guy who were pretty terrible here who found success elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Could be the Camden effect? I don't really know but that's a lot of guy who were pretty terrible here who found success elsewhere. 

And our revolving pitching instruction.  I won't get into much of it, but certainly we have not had good pitching continuity at the MLB level at least.  

Rick Peterson seemed like he had a plan in the MiLB. and of course Griffin is highly respected. None of the folks in Baltimore made much of their opportunities other than Dave Wallace and Rick Kranitz.

18 hours ago, SteveA said:

Arrieta, Strop.

That's SEVEN guys that we wanted GONE.   They were so bad for us we were sick of them and most people here never wanted to see them again.   And they go somewhere else and are effective in one way or another.

You bring up Miggy... we let him go too and he was effective for the White Sox for over a year.

No one shed a tear when Feldman walked after we briefly had him as a rental.   He went and put up a 107+ ERA for 350 innings with the Astros after leaving here.

So many guys that are so bad we are actively hoping they get released on this message board, go on to have success after they leave here.   How many examples do you need?   There's something rotten here.

Since 2001....how many managers, coaches, scouts have we had in the last 17 years? Have all of them been bad? 

58 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Reds know how to do things the right way. O's will wait till the offseason I would guess. 

The Reds are not exactly a model franchise these days.  They’re in their fifth straight losing season, and 16th in the last 19 years.   

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Reds are not exactly a model franchise these days.  They’re in their fifth straight losing season, and 16th in the last 19 years.   

Well maybe so but I'd rather be the Reds right now than the O's. O's have a tougher schedule. Out going Manager and maybe an out going GM. 

34 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Well maybe so but I'd rather be the Reds right now than the O's. O's have a tougher schedule. Out going Manager and maybe an out going GM. 

I’d rather be any team but the Orioles right now.   Horrible, and in a division where the top 2 teams are poised to dominate for a while.  

On 8/13/2018 at 1:21 PM, Tony-OH said:

I don’t think it is a coincidence. 

Look around the entire AL East. The one team that has developed pitching is Tampa. Tampa has a pitchers park. 

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d rather be any team but the Orioles right now.   Horrible, and in a division where the top 2 teams are poised to dominate for a while.  

Boston is awesome right now but I don’t think their window is as wide open as it looks.  

On 8/12/2018 at 8:19 PM, SteveA said:

Arrieta, Strop.

Didn't want Miley or Gallardo in the first place.  

Archived