Thoughts About Tonights 2nd Game With Boston

section18

The losing continues ! 

What happened to Davis on 3rd early in the game when he fails to tag up twice and score? Do we have a 3rd base coach? Buck on the post game said he talked to Davis about it. Dickerson told him they thought the ball was going to be fair instead of foul. So what! If I recall Davis was at least 10 feet off the bag.  No intentions of tagging. Dumb ! Dumb! Dumb!

Wright comes in and grooves another one to JD Martinez.  Why are we pitching to him? Why?

Has Wynns clearly moved ahead of Joseph?  Joseph can't throw anybody out it seems when I'm watching. Wynns is 5 for 11 throwing out runners and is hitting close to .275. Joseph seems to be catching a lot of the high scoring games we lose.

The play that ended the inning with Davis on 3rd had Pearce stretch at 1B and he clearly is off the bag when he catches it.  Buck does not appeal the call. If ever a play needed to be reviewed it was that one. Our TV and radio people all seemed surprised he didn't challenge the call. I thought he was receiving help on these plays.

Is it time for Buck to get tossed from some games on poor home plate umpiring.  Tonight's game was one of the worst I've seen with calls several inches off the plate called strikes in Boston's favor. Embarrassing !

Whether he stays or goes AJ looks great in RF. Best since Markakis out there.

Villar at SS tonight did okay. He can play SS or 2B and I guess time will tell where he stays. Can someone explain why our middle infielders throw 3/4 arm to first base and throws are usually extra tough for our 1B to catch.  Hardy always seemed to throw over the top and was accurate most of the time.

Why are we walking so many of the other teams hitters and why are we striking out so much.  I believe they said 8 of the 10 walked Friday night scored. I think they said at one point tonight we had struck out 24 times in 72 at bats or in 24 innings we had struck out in 8 innings. Why ? The pitchers walking batters seems to be getting worse.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, section18 said:

What happened to Davis on 3rd early in the game when he fails to tag up twice and score? Do we have a 3rd base coach? Buck on the post game said he talked to Davis about it. Dickerson told him they thought the ball was going to be fair instead of foul. So what! If I recall Davis was at least 10 feet off the bag.  No intentions of tagging. Dumb ! Dumb! Dumb!

People no longer focus because we are tanking.  (this is mostly sarcasm)

Wright comes in and grooves another one to JD Martinez.  Why are we pitching to him? Why?

Because we are tanking.

Has Wynns clearly moved ahead of Joseph?  Joseph can't throw anybody out it seems when I'm watching. Wynns is 5 for 11 throwing out runners and is hitting close to .275. Joseph seems to be catching a lot of the high scoring games we lose.

Joseph has thrown out 35% of his runners.  An above average rate.

The play that ended the inning with Davis on 3rd had Pearce stretch at 1B and he clearly is off the bag when he catches it.  Buck does not appeal the call. If ever a play needed to be reviewed it was that one. Our TV and radio people all seemed surprised he didn't challenge the call. I thought he was receiving help on these plays.

We're tanking so he's not.

Is it time for Buck to get tossed from some games on poor home plate umpiring.  Tonight's game was one of the worst I've seen with calls several inches off the plate called strikes in Boston's favor. Embarrassing !

Winning no longer matters so there's no point in needlessly getting tossed.

Should have been in RF years ago, but he's only there because of Mullins.

Villar at SS tonight did okay. He can play SS or 2B and I guess time will tell where he stays. Can someone explain why our middle infielders throw 3/4 arm to first base and throws are usually extra tough for our 1B to catch.  Hardy always seemed to throw over the top and was accurate most of the time

Cannot explain such an idiosyncrasy.

Why are we walking so many of the other teams hitters and why are we striking out so much?

Because we either aren't teaching them correctly or have poor players that won't listen.

So at the current rates, the Red Sox are projected to go 114-48 and the Os 48-114.  That would be 66 games out of first place......and 54 games behind the 102 win pace of the Yankees.  That is truly amazing.  And perhaps even more amazing than that is the AL Central has FOUR terrible teams and one of them may actually finish with a worse record than the Os despite having to play within that terrible division 70+ times a year. 

5 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

So at the current rates, the Red Sox are projected to go 114-48 and the Os 48-114.  That would be 66 games out of first place......and 54 games behind the 102 win pace of the Yankees.  That is truly amazing.  And perhaps even more amazing than that is the AL Central has FOUR terrible teams and one of them may actually finish with a worse record than the Os despite having to play within that terrible division 70+ times a year. 

While piling up the oddities...the 100+ win Yankees inability to destroy the Orioles like everyone else is a big reason they will be a WC.

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

While piling up the oddities...the 100+ win Yankees inability to destroy the Orioles like everyone else is a big reason they will be a WC.

While they will be a WC, I don't see Seattle or Oakland having the chops to go into NY and win a one game playoff.  Seattle maybe, but Oakland no way.  I don't even know how the As are over .500.  So I think we will see NY and Houston in the divisional round. 

I understand that our season has evolved into a audition for future Orioles.  I also understand the growing pains of having kids not quite ready having to grow into their future rolls. I am good with that.

However, I am not good with sloppy ,mindless, baseball. We should still be trying to win games with what we have.  Last nights game which I attended was a totally half ass effort by the Orioles.  

Besides all the before mention gaffes there were others that wouldn’t show up on a telecasts.  Jackie Bradley stole second in the middle innings on the second or third at bat of the inning.  He was getting a secondary lead of 10 feet on the previous pitch. I said to my wife pitch out and he is dead to rights.  The next pitch he steals second.

None of our middle infielder know how to catch a throw to second base.  Granted some are in the dirt or over there heads but how many times have we seen a drop ,fumbled or missed catch result in an SB?  

The team fundamentals are atrocious has Buck just mailed it in for the season.

i understood once we committed to a rebuild there would be a downturn in play, but I never suspected with Buck as manager to see such a sloppy team

8 hours ago, section18 said:

The losing continues ! 

Villar at SS tonight did okay. He can play SS or 2B and I guess time will tell where he stays. Can someone explain why our middle infielders throw 3/4 arm to first base and throws are usually extra tough for our 1B to catch.  Hardy always seemed to throw over the top and was accurate most of the time.

Why are we walking so many of the other teams hitters and why are we striking out so much.  I believe they said 8 of the 10 walked Friday night scored. I think they said at one point tonight we had struck out 24 times in 72 at bats or in 24 innings we had struck out in 8 innings. Why ? The pitchers walking batters seems to be getting worse.

Front Page article

1 minute ago, Woody Held said:

I understand that our season has evolved into a audition for future Orioles.  I also understand the growing pains of having kids not quite ready having to grow into their future rolls. I am good with that.

However, I am not good with sloppy ,mindless, baseball. We should still be trying to win games with what we have.  Last nights game which I attended was a totally half ass effort by the Orioles.  

Besides all the before mention gaffes there were others that wouldn’t show up on a telecasts.  Jackie Bradley stole second in the middle innings on the second or third at bat of the inning.  He was getting a secondary lead of 10 feet on the previous pitch. I said to my wife pitch out and he is dead to rights.  The next pitch he steals second.

None of our middle infielder know how to catch a throw to second base.  Granted some are in the dirt or over there heads but how many times have we seen a drop ,fumbled or missed catch result in an SB?  

The team fundamentals are atrocious has Buck just mailed it in for the season.

i understood once we committed to a rebuild there would be a downturn in play, but I never suspected with Buck as manager to see such a sloppy team

I do not think a major league baseball team can give maximum effort and win fewer than 30% of their games over a full season.  

17 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

While they will be a WC, I don't see Seattle or Oakland having the chops to go into NY and win a one game playoff.  Seattle maybe, but Oakland no way.  I don't even know how the As are over .500.  So I think we will see NY and Houston in the divisional round. 

Oh really? I think the Orioles could go to the Bronx and win one. 

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

Do you want to win games the rest of the season, or want that #1 draft pick? Personally, I want that pick. Whether they lose 95 or 110 games makes absolutely no difference to me at this point.

1,2,3,4  Does not matter to me. They all are about the same and number one will get all the money anyway. No way to save it. 

Just now, weams said:

Or, they are just poor players. Teaching is overrated at this level. 

I have a friend that attributes all successes to hard work and dedication. I believe that and talent and some great luck will get you ahead in life. 

Archived