To Mountcastle or to not Mountcastle...

wildcard

that is the question.

Brittany says she would  surprised if we doesn't  see Ryan Mountcastle called up before the end of the season.  I would be surprised if he is.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/inbox-high-expectations-for-cedric-mullins/c-290140150

Mountcastle does not have to be protected from the Rule 5 draft if he stays  a minor league  player this season.  That is a roster spot that can be used for other players.   They can look at him in ST next year.

So what do you think?   Will Mountcastle be promoted to the majors this season or not?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

that is the question.

Brittany says she would  surprised if we doesn't  see Ryan Mountcastle called up before the end of the season.  I would be surprised if he is.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/inbox-high-expectations-for-cedric-mullins/c-290140150

Mountcastle does not have to be protected from the Rule 5 draft if he stays  a minor league  player this season.  That is a roster spot that can be used for other players.   They can look at him in ST next year.

So what do you think?   Will Mountcastle be promoted to the majors this season or not?

I do not think we need to worry about 40 man spots this year. 

I'm torn on this. I know they want to see what they have with players.

Mountcastle has a great bat, but subpar defense. The Orioles already have Nunez at 3rd and have given him the starting role there. Nunez is basically the same thing, only Nunez has a strong arm, just a bad glove. Mountcastle has a weak arm, decent glove. Both have great bats with power. But Mountcastle really doesn't have a position.

He also doesn't need to be on the 40 man roster this season to be protected from anything. Yes, there shouldn't be a roster crunch, but there really isn't a need for him.

10 minutes ago, weams said:

I do not think we need to worry about 40 man spots this year. 

Here is my 40:

Starters: (11) Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Ramirez, Hess,  Yacabonis, Means, Harvey, Tate, Rogers, Ortiz

Relievers:(13)  Givens, Castro, Scott, Wright, Hart, Bleier, Meisinger, Fry,  Araujo, Kline, Luis Gonzalez,  Carroll, Phillips

Catchers: (3) Sisco, Wynns, Caleb Joseph

Infielders: (6) Davis, Villar, Beckham, Nunez, Wilkerson, Valera

Outfielders: (6) Mancini, Stewart, Mullins, Hays, Rickard, Santander

DH: (1) Trumbo.

If the O's are ready to non tender Joseph, Beckham, Hart (plus Peterson) then I agree with you.

If the O's aren't ready to do that,   then maybe not.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here is my 40:

Starters: (11) Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Ramirez, Hess,  Yacabonis, Means, Harvey, Tate, Rogers, Ortiz

Relievers:(13)  Givens, Castro, Scott, Wright, Hart, Bleier, Meisinger, Fry,  Araujo, Kline, Luis Gonzalez,  Carroll, Phillips

Catchers: (3) Sisco, Wynns, Caleb Joseph

Infielders: (6) Davis, Villar, Beckham, Nunez, Wilkerson, Valera

Outfielders: (6) Mancini, Stewart, Mullins, Hays, Rickard, Santander

DH: (1) Trumbo.

If the O's are ready to non tender Joseph, Beckham, Hart (plus Peterson) then I agree with you.

If the O's aren't ready to do that,   then maybe not.

I see no need for Joseph, Wilkerson, Rickard, Hart, or Trumbo either. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I see no need for Joseph, Wilkerson, Rickard, Hart, or Trumbo either. 

Trumbo has a  contract the O's are not going to eat.  

Wilkerson could be the O's UIF next year or maybe the 3rd baseman.

Rickard is probably on the 40 man roster until Diaz or Hays  are ready.  Neither appear to be ready yet.   O's need a backup CF.

Hart is out of options next year.  The question is do they give him away or try to trade him for a minor league.   He is still cheap, a lefty and still breathing.

Joseph is one of the three best catchers the O's have and he has options.  They have to be able to replace him and with Sisco not stepping up. Joseph still has value to the O's at maybe a 2m salary.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to see players get AAA experience before getting called up unless it’s urgent that we get them to the majors.    And it’s not urgent.

I'm the opposite but his defense isn't ready and he isn't on the 40 so I'd wait.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rickard is probably on the 40 man roster until Diaz or Hays  are ready.  Neither appear to be ready yet.   O's need a backup CF.

Hart is out of options next year.  The question is do they give him away or try to trade him for a minor league.   He is still cheap, a lefty and still breathing.

Joseph is one of the three best catchers the O's have and he has options.  They have to be able to replace him and with Sisco not stepping up. Joseph still has value to the O's at maybe a 2m salary.

Trumbo can be traded this offseason. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to see players get AAA experience before getting called up unless it’s urgent that we get them to the majors.    And it’s not urgent.

I agree with you. It's not urgent at all. But I bet a few extra weeks with Bobby Dickerson would be of some help. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A rebuilding team would never pay a backup catcher two million.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

A rebuilding team would never pay a backup catcher two million.

Who is your starting catcher?  Sisco has not been able to hold the job and the O's organization has looked at Wynns as a backup catcher almost his whole career.  If they add a catcher from FA they will probably pay at least 2M.

Archived