To Mountcastle or to not Mountcastle...

wildcard

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't know that "solid" is his projection. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

I think the hope is that he can now stay there. 

For me, he can only stay there if he’s solid.    I don’t want a guy at 3B who’s a fringe defender.    That leads nowhere good.   He doesn’t need to be Manny, but anything below Melvin Mora starts to get dicey.    (For the record, Melvin was -7.2 UZR, -13 Rtot, -24 Rdrs in his career at 3B.)

Just now, Frobby said:

For me, he can only stay there if he’s solid.    I don’t want a guy at 3B who’s a fringe defender.    That leads nowhere good.   He doesn’t need to be Manny, but anything below Melvin Mora starts to get dicey.    (For the record, Melvin was -7.2 UZR, -13 Rtot, -24 Rdrs in his career at 3B.)

Ok. Well, I think fringe+ is ok there. It's an offensive position. 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

There is no doubt that his athleticism could play in left field. Much more so than Mancini. 

I have read that his arm would not allow him to throw the ball back to the infield for a good relay.  I have not seen him though.

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

In summary, you pointed out pleasure in watching a guys defense and asked if someone else had watched — implying they’ve missed out on something — and that pleasurable something is a below solid projection.

That leaves us with three possibilities, or some combination there of:

1) Weams is an easily pleased man with a glass is 4/5th full attitude on his O’s.

2) Weams in the mood for an afternoon of devils advocate because his lady won’t let him win any arguments.

3) Two months ago Mountcastle looked like he was being sponsored by the make-a-wish foundation.

He has looked much better. And he does not have the rag arm that he has been accused of.  Watch him. See for yourself. 

2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

In summary, you pointed out pleasure in watching a guys defense and asked if someone else had watched — implying they’ve missed out on something — and that pleasurable something is a below solid projection.

1) Weams is an easily pleased man with a glass is 4/5th full attitude on his O’s.

2) Weams in the mood for an afternoon of devils advocate because his lady won’t let him win any arguments.

3) Two months ago Mountcastle looked like he was being sponsored by the make-a-wish foundation.

He initially looked like he could not play third. For at least the first third of the season. Now he does. Is he Manny or Flaherty? No. 

3 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I'd pick three for you on your list. I'm somewhat cranky. My wife is a lovely lass who lets me win discussions just to make me happy.

1 minute ago, weams said:

He initially looked like he could not play third. For at least the first third of the season. Now he does. Is he Manny or Flaherty? No. 

Long time lurker, first time poster. I haven't seen a whole lot of Mountcastle but I keep hearing he is athletic with range but a questionable arm.  Any insight on what the hesitation to try him at 2nd is?

28 minutes ago, weams said:

I'd pick three for you on your list. I'm somewhat cranky. My wife is a lovely lass who lets me win discussions just to make me happy.

I never win arguments with my wife.   Sometimes I can postpone defeat.    

30 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I haven't seen a whole lot of Mountcastle but I keep hearing he is athletic with range but a questionable arm.  Any insight on what the hesitation to try him at 2nd is?

There was an internal debate on the subject prior to his move to 3B. A decent part of the 3B argument was replacing Manny. I’m guessing the reason he hasn’t been shifted to second (or LF) is because they don’t want to keep throwing new positions at him, he’s only played about 100 games at 3B and seems to be improving there.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

There was an internal debate on the subject prior to his move to 3B. A decent part of the 3B argument was replacing Manny. I’m guessing the reason he hasn’t been shifted to second (or LF) is because they don’t want to keep throwing new positions at him, he’s only played about 100 games at 3B and seems to be improving there.

Thanks for the reply Luke, that makes sense.  Do you think based on what you have seen that his skillset would play better at second than third?

Archived