Dan to Roch: “I’ve been told by ownership that the club’s going to take the payroll down significantly. "

weams

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/duquette-on-jones-i-respect-him-and-i-respect-the-right-that-the-player-earned.html

"The club has funded a major league payroll beyond the market for several years to maintain a competitive window, but given where we are now I don’t know that it makes sense to continue on that track. But that’s an off-season issue. I don’t really know where the club’s going to be on that right now.”

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good. How low will they go?

• Will they trade Cobb (14m) and/or Cashnre (8M)?
  • How much of Trumbo's contract (13.5m) will they have to eat to move him?
  • Is Beckham safe coming off his current contract (3.5m) and entering his second year of arb?
  • Will Villar (2.25m) and/or Bundy (1.64m) be dealt? Both will be 1st-year arb eligible this off-season.

17 minutes ago, weams said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/duquette-on-jones-i-respect-him-and-i-respect-the-right-that-the-player-earned.html

"The club has funded a major league payroll beyond the market for several years to maintain a competitive window, but given where we are now I don’t know that it makes sense to continue on that track. But that’s an off-season issue. I don’t really know where the club’s going to be on that right now.”

I buy beyond the market. Significantly. The market may be permanently damaged. 

Duh. We’re rebuilding. No way Jones comes back. We migh non tender Beckham, Rickard, and Joseph. Trumbo, Cashner, and Cobb, are all up to be traded if possible. We won’t be signing any significant FA deals. 

All of this is pretty much expected. Plus it’s just time to see what the young guys can do. Mullins and Sisco have been up this year. It’s time to see what Stewart can do. Mountcastle is pretty close. Hays and Santander should be up next season at some point. 

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Good. How low will they go?

• Will they trade Cobb (14m) and/or Cashnre (8M)?
  • How much of Trumbo's contract (13.5m) will they have to eat to move him?
  • Is Beckham safe coming off his current contract (3.5m) and entering his second year of arb?
  • Will Villar (2.25m) and/or Bundy (1.64m) be dealt? Both will be 1st-year arb eligible this off-season.

Beckham is not safe IMO. $5 million would be a big risk that he puts it together. I just don’t think he’s the type of player that contenders trade for because of his shaky defense. 

23 minutes ago, weams said:

This isn't new, when he talked about the new plan they said that payroll would be moved to cover improved scouting and international bonuses etc

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/baltimore-orioles-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

It's great that these guys update so constantly.

Currently we're projected to sit at $94.6 mil after arbitration.

• DFAing Tim Beckham would theoretically save $5-ish mil in arbitration.
  • If they can trade Cashner in the off season, that's $9.5 mil.
  • If they can somehow move Trumbo, that's $13.5 mil.

No other single move really saves that much money.  Villar or Joseph could save a few, but I don't see the sense in jettisoning either.  That said, I see the possibility of (94.6 - 28 mil = 66.6 mil) with a few million added for roster filler veterans.

Archived