Dan to Roch: Possible September Call Ups

weams

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

I dont see Beckham not getting arbitration unless we are really just spending nothing.  He has been solid with the bat since the break .274 and ops is .856.  I expect they keep an opening day payroll in the 90-100 million range.

90-100m?  Doubt it.   I think they try to trade anyone that is make money this off season.  Cobb, Cashner, Givens , Trumbo if they can find a buyer.  The Gausman/O'Day salary dump signaled to me that they are going as low as they can get.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sounds like Stewart is no slam dunk. I’d like to see us call up the guys that have to be added to the 40 man to protect them from the Rule 5. Let’s get a good look. Stewart, Means, Rogers, Luiz Gonzales, Kline. Then reward a guy like Mountcastle, whose conversation in ST with Buck became public, all he did was produce. 

Guys like Wilkerson, Valera, and Susac will be up as well. 

It will be interesting if we bring Sisco back. 

Reward Mountcastle for what purpose? Because he didn’t quit? 

Just now, wildcard said:

90-100m?  Doubt it.   I think they try to trade anyone that is make money this off season.  Cobb, Cashner, Givens , Trumbo if they can find a buyer.  The Gausman/O'Day salary dump signaled to me that they are going as low as they can get.

Teams are not taking Cobb  (14 million) Trumbo(13.5)  and Cashner (9) million next year.  The Orioles are not going to eat money on those contracts but will look for a good first half and a chance to move them.  They also are not going to go with Bundy and 4 rookies in the rotation and where out the bullpen and cause overuse to some of the young guys they have in it that may cause injury.  Every team when rebuilding still has a vetern starter or two to eat innings.  The Braves have done that the last few years and they had more young arms then we did.  

2 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

Teams are not taking Cobb  (14 million) Trumbo(13.5)  and Cashner (9) million next year.  The Orioles are not going to eat money on those contracts but will look for a good first half and a chance to move them.  They also are not going to go with Bundy and 4 rookies in the rotation and where out the bullpen and cause overuse to some of the young guys they have in it that may cause injury.  Every team when rebuilding still has a vetern starter or two to eat innings.  The Braves have done that the last few years and they had more young arms then we did.  

I agree its questionable that they can move Cobb. Trumbo and Cashner this off season but they will try.     The O's will be glad to go with Bundy and a bunch of rookies(if they keep Bundy)  There will be a lot of shuttling with Norfolk.

Look at all the young pitchers the O's will be trying out next season.

Starters: (11) Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Ramirez, Hess,  Yacabonis, Means, Harvey, Tate, Rogers, Ortiz

Relievers:(13)  Givens, Castro, Scott, Wright, Bleier, Meisinger, Fry,  Araujo, Kline, Luis Gonzalez,  Carroll, Phillips, Flaa

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont buy it either, and neither do the guys that have actually seen him play. :):):)

He is improving there, that’s real, and scouts will generally agree.

He’s still probably a 40 (below average) glove there. So unless you have a healthy tolerance for lesser defense, he needs to improve more.

32 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He’s still probably a 40 (below average) glove there. So unless you have a healthy tolerance for lesser defense, he needs to improve more.

Based on the amount of replies whenever Beckham makes a bad throw or can't get a ball...

911 will be on speed dial if both of them are on the left side for a lot of people.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

40 man roster manipulation isn't usually a problem with this team, and with 2 extra spots, even more manageable.

IMO, I think Beck does get arb, he wont break the bank, and he is better than most alternatives on this club, and not like they are doing anything for 3 years.

Perhaps, but maybe it's my own preference, but I'd get rid of as many low baseball IQ players as possible during a rebuild. They are not good examples to the young players you are bringing up and for me, my least favorite kind of player to watch is the one that doesn't know how to play the game properly, especially when they are in the major leagues.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, but maybe it's my own preference, but I'd get rid of as many low baseball IQ players as possible during a rebuild. They are not good examples to the young players you are bringing up and for me, my least favorite kind of player to watch is the one that doesn't know how to play the game properly, especially when they are in the major leagues.

You made a good point, and I can understand your reasoning.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Gotta disagree with you a bit here. He's a 30 glove at best for me for a few reasons. He can't come in effectively, can't throw on the run effectively, and still bounces routine throws because of his poor arm strength. His hands are ok, but he is a defensively liability at 3B still. 

If I'm the Orioles I'm giving him a LFers glove and sending him to the AFL. I just can't see him overcoming that lack of arm strength and be able to play an effective MLB 3B.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Gotta disagree with you a bit here. He's a 30 glove at best for me for a few reasons. He can't come in effectively, can't throw on the run effectively, and still bounces routine throws because of his poor arm strength. His hands are ok, but he is a defensively liability at 3B still. 

If I'm the Orioles I'm giving him a LFers glove and sending him to the AFL. I just can't see him overcoming that lack of arm strength and be able to play an effective MLB 3B.

So why the heck, did we draft him, is his bat, that good?

If the arm is the biggest issue, would he be able to play 2B? Or would his lack of range be an issue? And with a poor arm, I know LF is the bad throwing position in the OF, but I don't know if I want an arm that bad in the OF at all.

If the Orioles would move away from Davis and Trumbo at all costs this offseason, I could get behind a 1B/DH combo of Mancini and Mountcastle for most of next year (after the latter gets some time in Triple-A).

Archived