Dan to Roch: Possible September Call Ups

weams

Beckham being our SS in 2019 is the least of our concerns.  I don't see any hot prospect in the minors that he'd be blocking.  I'm not sure if there's a great FA option out there.

Next year should be all about getting our outfield set with Mullins, Hays, and Diaz, if possible.  It should also be about seeing if we can bring up any young arms like Ortiz and Tate.  It should also be about trying to get rid of Davis.

Hey @atomic!!  So glad to see you!!!

YVUXDAwTau7FqfpTPZcd_Jim%20Carrey%20Tape

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we’re going to be terrible at SS it should be for the league min. You want me to get on board with price slashing, that’s cool, but don’t give Beckham $4-5 million next year. Are people really holding the it hope for a trade next season?  Is that what it is about him?  Playoff contenders aren’t looking to add someone terrible at defense in the middle of a playoff push. Let’s say he puts up a .750 OPS through July 31, he’d still be little more than a SS version of Danny Valencia. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I see no reason to put anyone on the 40 that doesn't need to be protected this offseason.

Good point.  Stewart should be up as well. We should probably get a look at Yaz before he bolts as a 6 year milb FA. 

Mountcastle would be the one player that wouldn’t need to be protected this offseason. He has kinda earned it. All things considered. Likely our MILB POY. 

15 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good point.  Stewart should be up as well. We should probably get a look at Yaz before he bolts as a 6 year milb FA. 

Mountcastle would be the one player that wouldn’t need to be protected this offseason. He has kinda earned it. All things considered. Likely our MILB POY. 

Not that I think 40-man issues will occur this offseason, but there really is no reason for Mountcastle to burn an option next year because he was put on the 40-man for a look see this September. He should be focusing on finding a position in the AFL or in the instructional league. I'd give him that LF or 1B mitt and start giving him reps.

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not that I think 40-man issues will occur this offseason, but there really is no reason for Mountcastle to burn an option next year because he was put on the 40-man for a look see this September. He should be focusing on finding a position in the AFL or in the instructional league. I'd give him that LF or 1B mitt and start giving him reps.

If they are going to move him off of third I would like to see them give him a shot at second before 1B or LF.  With all of the prospects we have coming up in the OF and having Davis / Mancini for 1B.  I think our prospect group of position players looks a lot better with a big time hitting second baseman in the mix.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah but sometimes call ups are given as rewards. Mountcastle was criticized in a very public way in ST. He responded by having no issues and a very good year in AA. Give the guy that acknowledgement and see how he responds next year. 

A few of my thoughts:

1) I can see the logic in both offering Beckham arb or non-tendering him. A few things in defense of Beckham

A) As a SS this year: Beckham has a .241/.317/.438 batting line....As a 3B this year: Beckham has a .217/.268/.309 batting line...This follows a career trend for him of hitting well when he's playing shortstop and not hitting well when he's played anywhere else.

B) Beckham before 2018: .260/.310/.444 w/ decent defense....Mancini career: .268/.321/.451 w/ atrocious defense

C) He's not blocking anyone.

2) I would flip Villar this off-season. I see no reason why we should aim to keep any veterans who aren't completely bombing. People like Beckham, Bundy, Cobb, and Givens we know are capable of much better so I would wait until their value goes up....but Villar, Cashner, Trumbo...if there is a deal to be had I would make it.

3) Austin Hays doesn't even deserve to get promoted to Norfolk let alone Baltimore.

4) Players I would have no problem removing from the 40-man: Donnie Hart, Jace Petersen, Mike Wright, Engel Vielma, Sean Gilmartin, Jhan Martinez, Craig Gentry, Andrew Susac & Caleb Joseph (maybe adding Cervenka?)

2 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

If they are going to move him off of third I would like to see them give him a shot at second before 1B or LF.  With all of the prospects we have coming up in the OF and having Davis / Mancini for 1B.  I think our prospect group of position players looks a lot better with a big time hitting second baseman in the mix.

Mountcastle might be better at 2B than at 3B, but he's still going to be a below average defender there due to his size/range and arm.  So I don't see the point.  

I would shuttle him between 1B and LF.  1B he should be able to handle no problem.  With his hands and athleticism he should be above average at that position.  Have him play 1B and LF in the AFL and see how it goes.  

I rather have an average or better defender at 1B or LF than a below average second baseman. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Mountcastle might be better at 2B than at 3B, but he's still going to be a below average defender there due to his size/range and arm.  So I don't see the point.  

I would shuttle him between 1B and LF.  1B he should be able to handle no problem.  With his hands and athleticism he should be above average at that position.  Have him play 1B and LF in the AFL and see how it goes.  

I rather have an average or better defender at 1B or LF than a below average second baseman. 

Because below average fielder at second + superior bat at second = pretty good player.  While ideally you want plus defenders everyone sometimes it is worth giving up a bit on defense to get offensive at a premium position.

21 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

A few of my thoughts:

1) I can see the logic in both offering Beckham arb or non-tendering him. A few things in defense of Beckham

A) As a SS this year: Beckham has a .241/.317/.438 batting line....As a 3B this year: Beckham has a .217/.268/.309 batting line...This follows a career trend for him of hitting well when he's playing shortstop and not hitting well when he's played anywhere else.

B) Beckham before 2018: .260/.310/.444 w/ decent defense....Mancini career: .268/.321/.451 w/ atrocious defense

C) He's not blocking anyone.

2) I would flip Villar this off-season. I see no reason why we should aim to keep any veterans who aren't completely bombing. People like Beckham, Bundy, Cobb, and Givens we know are capable of much better so I would wait until their value goes up....but Villar, Cashner, Trumbo...if there is a deal to be had I would make it.

3) Austin Hays doesn't even deserve to get promoted to Norfolk let alone Baltimore.

4) Players I would have no problem removing from the 40-man: Donnie Hart, Jace Petersen, Mike Wright, Engel Vielma, Sean Gilmartin, Jhan Martinez, Craig Gentry, Andrew Susac & Caleb Joseph (maybe adding Cervenka?)

Hays is having  a nice August  at Bowie now that he is healthy.  He is on the 40 man roster.  I expect to see  him with the O's in September.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because below average fielder at second + superior bat at second = pretty good player.  While ideally you want plus defenders everyone sometimes it is worth giving up a bit on defense to get offensive at a premium position.

I understand that, I just don't expect him to be a competent defender at 2B.  Range as bad or worse than Schoop without the arm.  I guess they can try it, but that will be his third position change and there will likely be a fourth after that when he fails at 2B.  We also have Villar locking down that position down for the next two years and Mountcastle is less than a year away.  

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I understand that, I just don't expect him to be a competent defender at 2B.  Range as bad or worse than Schoop without the arm.  I guess they can try it, but that will be his third position change and there will likely be a fourth after that when he fails at 2B.  We also have Villar locking down that position down for the next two years and Mountcastle is less than a year away.  

Than why did you use the term below average instead of say poor?

14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

The point is he’s athletic and has good hands/glove action. The only thing lacking has been arm strength and it’s curious as to why they didn’t first move him to 2B (similar angles off the bat) as opposed to 3B.

Archived