I am 110% behind rebuild but I’d love to have Schoop back!

Rene88

18 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Agreed completely on the Brewers trade.  Britton has struggled, but to me the jury is still out on that trade because of Tate.

But yeah, anyone who sees the Schoop trade as anything other than a plus for the Orioles iwayyyyy overvalues Schoop.

I like the Schoop trade, but also think Schoop is a good player who shouldn’t be judged based on 16 games in Milwaukee.   It is amazing how he went from red hot to ice cold the minute he was traded, though.    I hope he heats back up and makes the Brewers fans feel better about the trade.   

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Funny, I see that trade as pretty lopsided in our favor.   Schoop’s a bit better than Villar, but it’s not drastic and Villar is under control for an extra year.   Meanwhile, we got two prospects to go along with it: one pitcher who was having pretty good success in AA and has looked good in three AAA starts with us, and an interesting 18 year old SS who’s already playing pretty well in short season A ball.    Seems like a great trade to me.

The wierdest thing about the Schoop trade... Minny seemed to want a SS out of the deal, and Villar's skills fit SS better than Schoop's - even though they're both most natural at 2B.  Schoop clearly lacks the range to play SS imo and hadn't played there for years.  The age difference is less than a year, so the extra year of control is more signifcant than the age difference - does anyone really disagree with that?  And Minny gives up a 19 year old SS with higher upside than both Villar and Schoop.  I gotta wonder if Villar did something to anger management in Minny.    

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The wierdest thing about the Schoop trade... Minny seemed to want a SS out of the deal, and Villar's skills fit SS better than Schoop's - even though they're both most natural at 2B.  Schoop clearly lacks the range to play SS imo and hadn't played there for years.  The age difference is less than a year, so the extra year of control is more signifcant than the age difference - does anyone really disagree with that?  And Minny gives up a 19 year old SS with higher upside than both Villar and Schoop.  I gotta wonder if Villar did something to anger management in Minny.    

By Minny you mean Milwaukee.   I like Carmona but I’m not sure I’d say he has a higher upside than Schoop, who was a top 100 prospect as a young minor leaguer, has been a major league all star, and is still only 26 years old.    Schoop’s upside was/is pretty high.  

16 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I gotta wonder if Villar did something to anger management 

Well he was putrid last year and first half this year. He's like Schoop in that he's feast or famine, lots of 0fers when he's scuffling. Maybe he had an issue with not starting quite every day? He also turned down an extension.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By Minny you mean Milwaukee.   I like Carmona but I’m not sure I’d say he has a higher upside than Schoop, who was a top 100 prospect as a young minor leaguer, has been a major league all star, and is still only 26 years old.    Schoop’s upside was/is pretty high.  

Yes, Milwaukee - thanks for the correction.  I think Schoop was still considered a possibility to stay at SS when he was in the minors.  Now, I think he's close to having to move to 3B, and his batting selection seems to be poor/declining this season.  So, as far as ceiling, I'd disagree - though obviously Schoop is much more likely to come closer to his ceiling and I consider him to be a valuable major leaguer.  

Looking at Schoop and Villar's recent performance revs up the confirmation bias on the old trope that steady playing time is an ingredient in individual success.

Buck's regulars seem to get that more than average, and I believe there is probably some player skill involved in being able to be good 4 days a week if you aren't playing 6 or 7.  Even as successful as our teams were, our good players never really had to try and learn that skill the way similarly good players on some of today's juggernauts do.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Britton has struggled, but to me the jury is still out on that trade because of Tate.

As much as I love ZB, NYY is getting almost nothing out of him. He's pitched like 9IP, to a -0.1WAR. And he's getting paid $12m along the way. This trade was a strong win for us (and we should thank ZB for pitching well for a few weeks, at the right time).

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I like the Schoop trade, but also think Schoop is a good player who shouldn’t be judged based on 16 games in Milwaukee.   It is amazing how he went from red hot to ice cold the minute he was traded, though.    I hope he heats back up and makes the Brewers fans feel better about the trade.   

But he had been Chris Davis bad up until about three weeks prior to the trade as well. 

3 minutes ago, 99ct said:

This trade was a strong win for us (and we should thank ZB for pitching well for a few weeks, at the right time).

Or we should be grateful for how he was used to enhance value. He may not really be the whole way back. Maybe never if there is still a shoulder issue. 

I'm so glad we traded with the Yankees. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Or we should be grateful for how he was used to enhance value. He may not really be the whole way back. Maybe never if there is still a shoulder issue. 

I'm so glad we traded with the Yankees. 

Yeah, also very possible. I think the bottom line is ZB is a generic bullpen piece and its great that we sent him to the Yanks for a pretty decent package. 

20 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

In my opinion, and thats all this is on this entire website....when the smoke clears Schoop is a much better player than Villar and the prospects we got will have little or no impact on the Orioles. Again, just my opinion.

Not a fan of Ortiz? He looks like a pretty nice pitching prospect. Carmona is far off, but is a nice ceiling guy. Plus we got Villar the next couple years. Who may eventually bring some more back. 

40 minutes ago, 99ct said:

As much as I love ZB, NYY is getting almost nothing out of him. He's pitched like 9IP, to a -0.1WAR. And he's getting paid $12m along the way. This trade was a strong win for us (and we should thank ZB for pitching well for a few weeks, at the right time).

I thought he’d be rock solid for them. Everyone seems to get that magic pixie dust when going to NY. Very surprised. 

18 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

I thought he’d be rock solid for them. Everyone seems to get that magic pixie dust when going to NY. Very surprised. 

At this time, the marginal benefit to NYY appears to be pretty low. They are unlikely to catch the Red Sox. At best, he gets a few high-leverage innings in the playoffs. And his contract is up anyways, so he did us no good. Plus we saved $. Awesome trade. 

Archived