Cobb & Cashner Clear Waivers

Greg Pappas

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Everyone goes through waivers. Everyone. 

The clubs try to put players through.  Some don't make it through.  Cobb and Cashner did.   Dan has till the end of the month to try to make a deal for them.  Cobb  is his best chance to make a deal

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Those clubs were not a month away from the playoffs when Cobb signed last spring.   Cobb is probably the hottest  starter that has cleared waivers.

If some team wanted him they could have claimed him on waivers and the Orioles would have let him go.  I don't see why you think anyone wants Cobb at his salary owed.  And he couldn't even be traded without his permission.  I am sure Chris Davis cleared waivers and so did Trumbo.  

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

If some team wanted him they could have claimed him on waivers and the Orioles would have let him go.  I don't see why you think anyone wants Cobb at his salary owed.  And he couldn't even be traded without his permission.  I am sure Chris Davis cleared waivers and so did Trumbo.  

Cobb would probably take a trade to a contender from a last place team beginning a rebuild in about 2 seconds.   Maybe a team didn't  claim because they want the O's to take a player and his salary back in the trade.

The O's traded Schoop and his 8.5m salary but took back Villar and his 2.5m salary.   Maybe its something like that with Cobb.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cobb would probably take a trade to a contender from a last place team beginning a rebuild in about 2 seconds.   Maybe a team didn't  claim because they want the O's to take a player and his salary back in the trade.

The O's traded Schoop and his 8.5m salary but took back Villar and his 2.5m salary.   Maybe its something like that with Cobb.

Well you are right.  I am sure if the Orioles wanted to trade for Chen they could probably convince the Marlins to take Cobb. 

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I remember when everyone was saying that Jones would accept a trade to a contender.

Mullins and Cobb are the only reasons to watch the Orioles right now. I like that once a week I can tune in and have a decent chance of watching a well-pitched game. That's not a real reason to keep him, but trading him would add even more pain to what we've already been experiencing all year. 

56 minutes ago, atomic said:

Daniel Murphy cleared waivers and was then traded to the Cubs. Why didnt the Cubs just claim him in the first instance?

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I remember when everyone was saying that Jones would accept a trade to a contender.

Jones has been with the O's for 11 years.  He married a lady from the Baltimore area.   He is much more connected here than Cobb.   Cobb has yet to make it through one season.  He thought the O's were going to keep Manny and Jon and would compete.   None of that happened.  I am sure Cobb would rather be on a winning team than a 100 games losing team.

41 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Mullins and Cobb are the only reasons to watch the Orioles right now. I like that once a week I can tune in and have a decent chance of watching a well-pitched game. That's not a real reason to keep him, but trading him would add even more pain to what we've already been experiencing all year. 

Yep, And Manny had Jon were supposed to lead this team to the playoff.   Bundy, Gausman, Cobb and Cashner were supposed to be a solid starting four.  But it didn't work out that way.  Now anyone would making money is on the block.  Sorry.  I don't like it either.

I didn’t read the thread in its entirety. The argument that the Os need to keep either so young guys aren’t rushed or they would need to sign other guys is short sited. They could march out a rotation of Yacabonis, Wright, Gilmartin, Rameriz and Bundy next year and you aren’t hurting any development or spending any money on innings eaters. Yes, they will suck but we expect that they will suck next year. Hopefully Bundy rights the ship and is tradeable next deadline. 

If the Os can pull a trade of Cobb straight up for a Villar type, that trigger will be pulled faster than you can blink. They aren’t going to trade IFA money, that is their lottery ticket money. 

If Cobb was a free agent at the end of this season, a 3 year, 43 million dollar contract is pretty reasonable. For a contending team desperate to add a hot pitcher down the stretch he has some value. Obviously if you trade him you would do it before September 1st, no idea why Can of Corn would assume he would not be eligible for the post season.

For the Orioles one consideration should be if he continues to pitch as well as he has in August into 2019 he would have a lot of trade value at next years trade deadline.

9 hours ago, atomic said:

If the Orioles take back salary or exchange for a player with a commitment, your logic is false. Maybe they just don't want them at our prices. Verlander could have been claimed last season He was not. 

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I still think he would if a contender wanted him for an everyday role. The list of teams that would want him in that capacity is pretty small, however.

57 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I still think he would if a contender wanted him for an everyday role. The list of teams that would want him in that capacity is pretty small, however.

From MLBTR:

• "The Orioles won’t trade center fielder Adam Jones this month, according to Cafardo, who writes that the 33-year-old “was open to going elsewhere.” Jones’ apparent willingness to leave Baltimore runs counter to various reports from last month, when he would not waive his 10-and-5 rights to join a contender for the stretch run. Now, having cleared revocable waivers this month, Jones is eligible to be traded anywhere, but it appears the longtime Oriole will end the season with them. After that, he’s scheduled to reach free agency."

2 hours ago, weams said:

If the Orioles take back salary or exchange for a player with a commitment, your logic is false. Maybe they just don't want them at our prices. Verlander could have been claimed last season He was not. 

I don't disagree with that and I don't see how my logic is false. I  said another team would be willing to take Cobb if the the Orioles paid most of his salary.  I just don't see the Orioles doing that. And I don't think the Orioles would get anything meaningful in return if they took on half his salary.  

Archived