The Ideal Swing

weams

Before I opened this thread, Ted Williams leaped to mind.  I know it's not Oriole related but I enjoy the brief trip down memory lane all the same.
This is how I remember him.

frank-howard-and-manager-ted-williams-of

My father grew up in D.C., and went to countless games at the old Griffith Stadium.  For the visiting Red Sox, Ted Williams played 157 games in that ballpark.  I bet my father saw quite a few of them because his baseball hero was Ted Williams.   Ted went on to manage those Washington Senators and my father took me to several of those games in RFK Stadium.  We would sit a little down the 3rd base line.  From there,  we were able to see Ted watching BP from behind the screen, and across the field in the dugout during the games.

Our own @Roy Firestone had the very unique opportunity to sit down with Ted.  Enjoy.

I don’t even know why we have rules anymore. I feel like, if I hit submit, I will forever be a part of one of the most dangerous stands against tyranny in internet history. I’m fearful, but I think of what those before me gave so that I would have the opportunity to hit submit in a Ted Williams thread on a forum clearly delineated for discussion, strictly, of our beloved birds. 

I stand with you now, Weams. That is, I’ll just say it, eventually, I’m nervous, it’s a nice Red Sox swing. I’ll dream of storm troopers pounding on my door, doing god knows what with my dog, and dragging me from my home, all because I dared walked alongside Weams on this Labor Day....eve. 

If Sam Horn could see me now...I miss you Sam. 

Archived