Bundy should finish the season in the bullpen

Thato'sfan

Save his arm. Give him a chance to get some extra rest. We know he can be good out of the 'pen. He'll be throwing a bit harder, hopefully gaining some confidence and working on some stuff. Lets him get more frequent looks at the changes implemented in between appearances.

Have him get a solid off season, and hope he is better next year. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Thato'sfan said:

Save his arm. Give him a chance to get some extra rest. We know he can be good out of the 'pen. He'll be throwing a bit harder, hopefully gaining some confidence and working on some stuff. Lets him get more frequent looks at the changes implemented in between appearances.

Have him get a solid off season, and hope he is better next year. 

Why do you think he needs to gain any confidence?

How do you work on stuff out of the pen?  I would think it would be easier to work on things as a starter with a set schedule.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do you think he needs to gain any confidence?

How do you work on stuff out of the pen?  I would think it would be easier to work on things as a starter with a set schedule.

Pure speculation...he sounds a bit lost/defeated. I'd like it mostly due to rest reasons.

It would be easier to work on stuff on a set schedule so perhaps have him go a set number of innings to open a game(3 or so) and have him continue on a starter schedule.

3 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

Pure speculation...he sounds a bit lost/defeated. I'd like it mostly due to rest reasons.

It would be easier to work on stuff on a set schedule so perhaps have him go a set number of innings to open a game(3 or so) and have him continue on a starter schedule.

I'd be fine with using him in an opener role for the rest of the season.

Good luck convincing Buck.

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

He may not be good. 

He has an excellent slider, makeup. Command has been his main issue. Slider has actually improved. Velo has remained the same. Curveball, slider, Change up getting swinging strikes at a higher rate. Fangraphs lists him as having a sinker which he started throwing this year, he has given up hrs on that pitch at a lower rate than his regular four seamer(which has gotten crushed). OPs against his sinker is .759 while it is close 1.000 against the four seamer. That being said, every pitch has gotten hit harder this year compared to last year, likely due to command and lack of fastball establishment.

3 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

He has an excellent slider, makeup. Command has been his main issue. Slider has actually improved. Velo has remained the same. Curveball, slider, Change up getting swinging strikes at a higher rate. Fangraphs lists him as having a sinker which he started throwing this year, he has given up hrs on that pitch at a lower rate than his regular four seamer(which has gotten crushed). OPs against his sinker is .759 while it is close 1.000 against the four seamer. That being said, every pitch has gotten hit harder this year compared to last year, likely due to command and lack of fastball establishment.

Makeup?

4 minutes ago, weams said:

Makeup?

From beyondtheboxscore.com

• The perceived desire to play professional baseball, and to keep improving one's skills through practice.
  • The perceived ability or willingness to play through injury and/or personal difficulty.
  • The perceived ability or willingness to receive coaching.
  • The perceived ability to get along with your teammates / the media / team management.
  • The perceived ability to avoid "trouble," with the law, with steroids, etc.
  • The ability to avoid mental mistakes on the field.
  • The ability to learn the concepts and cognitive skills that make up a not-insignificant portion of the game.
  • The ability to "forget" about previous at-bats or batters faced and re-focus on new challenges.
  • A positive attitude in general.

2 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

From beyondtheboxscore.com

• The perceived desire to play professional baseball, and to keep improving one's skills through practice.
  • The perceived ability or willingness to play through injury and/or personal difficulty.
  • The perceived ability or willingness to receive coaching.
  • The perceived ability to get along with your teammates / the media / team management.
  • The perceived ability to avoid "trouble," with the law, with steroids, etc.
  • The ability to avoid mental mistakes on the field.
  • The ability to learn the concepts and cognitive skills that make up a not-insignificant portion of the game.
  • The ability to "forget" about previous at-bats or batters faced and re-focus on new challenges.
  • A positive attitude in general.

And we are certain that Dylan Bundy fulfills that ?

1 minute ago, Thato'sfan said:

Who are we to say that he fulfills any/all of it...Obviously I can't say that I know for sure, but the general consensus seems to be that Bundy does appear to meet those guidelines.

I'd say that is certainly the persona that has been applied to him. Especially by Orioles media. 

Just now, weams said:

I'd say that is certainly the persona that has been applied to him. Especially by Orioles media. 

And that is all we have to go by...is it not?

I based my prior statements on available information. The accuracy of said information may certainly be questioned, but given that I am desperately hoping for Bundy to succeed, I'd like to believe that the Orioles media is being honest. Have to focus on the postives?

Archived