Heyman: Manny walked away from an 8/$64 mm deal with the O’s over a $1-2 mm difference early in his career

Frobby

John Heyman wrote a long article on who will get the bigger contract this winter, Manny or Harper.   12 of  18 executives polled said Manny would get the bigger deal.

That part isn’t Orioles-related at this point, I guess.    But buried in the article was this gem:

[Machado turned down] an early Orioles offer that was believed to have been worth about $64 million as we can report this week, in a decision that turned out to be a very good one even though the sides were believed to be only $1 million to $2 million apart at the time, and Machado wound up tearing up his knee that same season.

Not clear to me whether Heyman is talking about discussions in early 2013 before the first knee surgery, or in 2014 before the second knee surgery.   Based on prior reports I’m guessing this was in 2013.    And even though Manny apparently is the one who walked away, the fact that the O’s let him walk away over a matter of $1-2 mm at that price (if true) makes me want to puke.   

https://fancredsports.com/articles/inside-baseball-which-superstar-will-win-the-off

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

John Heyman wrote a long article on who will get the bigger contract this winter, Manny or Harper.   12 of  18 executives polled said Manny would get the bigger deal.

That part isn’t Orioles-related at this point, I guess.    But buried in the article was this gem:

Not clear to me whether Heyman is talking about discussions in early 2013 before the first knee surgery, or in 2014 before the second knee surgery.   Based on prior reports I’m guessing this was in 2013.    And even though Manny apparently is the one who walked away, the fact that the O’s let him walk away over a matter of $1-2 mm at that price (if true) makes me want to puke.   

https://fancredsports.com/articles/inside-baseball-which-superstar-will-win-the-off

Me too, think how much more they could have received for him with three years left on the deal!

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If true this team is too cheap.  

Not even that actually, you empty the vault for Davis and get hung up over the amount of money that would have been wasted on a mediocre starter.  

I have a feeling no matter what numbers were quoted in this piece someone would say the Orioles were too cheap.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I believe this. I also believe that it may have been a moving target. Who knows.  People get up from the table. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I know that.  The more I think about this the more upset I’m getting.

Once in a generation talent and ownership messes up a golden opportunity to lock up Manny early.  Who knows how long it will take for this team to develop another superstar. 

I was joking/not joking earlier.

Let's say it went down like Frobby suggested and Manny is signed through the 2021 season at a reasonable rate.

Do you keep Manny in the hopes that the team can somehow be competitive in 2021?  Or do you trade him and the end result is the same aside from an additional couple prospects?

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I know that.  The more I think about this the more upset I’m getting.

Once in a generation talent and ownership messes up a golden opportunity to lock up Manny early.  Who knows how long it will take for this team to develop another superstar. 

And he's not a once in a generation talent.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/arenano01.shtml

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I was joking/not joking earlier.

Let's say it went down like Frobby suggested and Manny is signed through the 2021 season at a reasonable rate.

Do you keep Manny in the hopes that the team can somehow be competitive in 2021?  Or do you trade him and the end result is the same aside from an additional couple prospects?

Still trade him, but you get a better haul with Manny under team control.

I don’t think this team wins again until 2023 and Manny likely is on another team by then.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And he's not a once in a generation talent.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/arenano01.shtml

I agree. I am a big Machado fan, but he is not some generational talent. He will need to stay at 3b long term in my opinion. I would have loved to have a potential HOF talent on the team regardless.

Archived