Dan Connolly - Four Primary Scenarios for Buck & Dan’s Future

TonySoprano

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The 2018 Orioles season and organization IS the Hindenburg disaster. The results speak for themselves. Back-to-back last place finishes with high payrolls. A historically bad 2018 with a high payroll. A mediocre minor league system that is bereft of high impact prospects. Years of ignoring the international market. How much more do you need to witness before you think the Orioles need new leadership? I don't think any of the decision makers in the Orioles front office deserve to stay. A new GM/VP should be hired and that person should have free reign to fill positions as they see fit. If that doesn't happen, then the Orioles will continue to be an unfocused mess IMO. 

Peter was in charge prior to the fire sale.

So the fault clearly lies with him.

Yes, years of ignoring the international market was stupid.

But, they are now working in that market.

a New GM/VP doesnt automatically fix things.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Look, I dont think people hate Brady, I do not.  But the idea that the dysfunction of the Orioles can be improved by removing Dan and Buck but elevating Brady is to be kind.  Brave.

So, as much as I hate this the only way it could work is if he is given the keys to the whole thing.  No one worthy of a serious role is taking a spot above Brady if they cannot hold him accountable.

I was a big fan of Brady as a player and I've never heard anything that indicates he is a bad person. But you can't have someone in the organization who gets to meddle in whatever they want and is basically not fireable. I agree with foxfield that the only way Brady should stay is if he is put fully in charge. I doubt that will happen because then he would eventually get "fired" (it might be in that weird Oriole way of sliding someone to another position while they slowly disappear). That can obviously be an ugly or at least extremely distasteful process when the person is a former and much beloved Oriole. 

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

But Brady was extremely happy the Orioles offered that horrible deal to Davis. So either way, Brady wanted Davis back.

Was Brady responsible, that Peter got involved and reupped the deal on the table?

I dont think anybody foresaw Davis going to the tank as quick and as bad as he did.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Peter was in charge prior to the fire sale.

So the fault clearly lies with him.

Yes, years of ignoring the international market was stupid.

But, they are now working in that market.

a New GM/VP doesnt automatically fix things.

I agree with all of this. But I don't think any of it is pertinent to evaluating Brady's current or future role. 

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Was Brady responsible, that Peter got involved and reupped the deal on the table?

I dont think anybody foresaw Davis going to the tank as quick and as bad as he did.

Did Peter get involved because Brady whispered in his ear? I don't believe Dan was all in on Davis.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Baltimore Orioles
— There’s no evidence that either GM Dan Duquette or manager Buck Showalter has been told their fate. But word around the game is that Showalter is very likely to be replaced, while the Duquette call could go either way. Overall, both did a nice job, though this is not the finish they envisioned (if it’s a finish) … 
— The Orioles, in a twist, have the most international money to spend. They are seemingly a favorite for Cuban star Victor Victor Mesa. It was reported awhile back they were signing him, but all concerned said that report was not true. It may turn out to be true, however … 
— Victor Victor has a brother who’s coming, too: Victor Jr. Word is Victor Victor is twice the player … 
— Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic is correct. Word is Cal Ripken Jr. isn’t interested in managing but might be interested in a front office role. While he did once interview for a Nats managerial job (the one that went to Matt Williams, which seemed like a fait accompli at the time) he’d prefer executive work. The Orioles haven’t said what jobs will be open … 
— The Orioles tied their franchise record with their 107th defeat. Is the 1988 team spared by the 2018 club's new loss record, wonders Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun.

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic is correct. Word is Cal Ripken Jr. isn’t interested in managing but might be interested in a front office role. While he did once interview for a Nats managerial job (the one that went to Matt Williams, which seemed like a fait accompli at the time) he’d prefer executive work. The Orioles haven’t said what jobs will be open … 

I dont need Ken to tell me Cal doesnt want to manage. I think Cal has said on many occasions, this same thing. Front Office Role, yes, he doesn't want to travel throughout the baseball season.

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Cal in the FO would be a wise move. TEX needs a new manager, Buck would be a nice fit there.

If Buck went to Texas, you'd think they'd want at least a partial credit for the millions they paid him after firing him with three years left on his contract. 

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Has there been any reporting anywhere that Brady was involved in the Chris Davis negotiations?   I don’t recall any.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/12/os-brady-anderson-on-davisoday-i-hope-in-the-future-we-are-quicker-to-react.html

Yes, Brady, of course, said he was not directly in contact with Davis after he became a free agent...but, very clearly he wanted to extend him, wanted it done sooner rather than later and surely made that clear to Angelos, imho.  

In an organization that is as paranoid and close mouthed about its decision making as the Angelos clan has been, relying on “reporting”is impossible.  This is my chief complaint about the Angelos management era has been treating their fan base like children who should be patted on the head, and be happy with whatever spin the Warehouse creates and who have been the opposite of transparent.   Their communication style makes their product MUCH less interesting and much less marketable. 

The question remains a simple one...”Did you express an opinion to Mr. Angelos about the offer to Chris Davis?”  The fact that it will never even be asked, much less answered, tells you all you need to know about the dysfunctionality of the relationship.   I am not a big fan generally of sychophants ascending to leadership positions (not a big fan of nepotism, either, for that matter). 

Either way, they will never get any talented assistant GM in their right mind to come in with Brady second guessing to ownership at every turn.    So either give the whole shooting match to Brady or fire them all, imho. 

Archived