The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Explain yo'self. 

He's saying that the jersey photos meant nothing. It was just a photo op. And the Malins don't have enough pool money to sign all three of those guys. So everyone freaking out about the photos should chillax. 

4 minutes ago, Santandah said:

He's saying that the jersey photos meant nothing. It was just a photo op. And the Malins don't have enough pool money to sign all three of those guys. So everyone freaking out about the photos should chillax. 

Well, understood about the jerseys.  Disagree on the pool money.  Clean sweep, those guys are going to be Marlins.

1 minute ago, Santandah said:

Not trying to stir the pot here. I'm just curious as to what you think each player will take. The Marlins have $4.3 million in pool money. 

I dunno.  But all signs are pointing to VVM landing there.  I saw a video with Gaston saying he hopes he can play there.  VMJ?  I don't see why he'd be the only one to NOT sign there.  

Just now, orioles119 said:

Couldn't they have had the workout at a neutral site?  Especially not the competition for their services.  Seems very MLB-ish to have the workout in Miami - especially when MLB would rather the Orioles cease to exist.

Seems like this was arranged by their agent, who is a Miami guy. It's also good PR for him in Miami. As is taking photos with Miami jerseys. That being said, he gets a cut of that bonus money -- and I'm guessing Marc Antony royalties aren't what they used to be, so he's going to want them to each sign for as much as possible.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno.  But all signs are pointing to VVM landing there.  I saw a video with Gaston saying he hopes he can play there.  VMJ?  I don't see why he'd be the only one to NOT sign there.  

Because money and opportunity. Just like anyone else looking at any job. 

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Explain yo'self. 

Marlins have 4.3M, so what’s the breakdown there?

3M VVM

1M Gaston

300K VMJ

So for them to pull that off you have to assume VVM is willing to take a 50% pay cut, that Gaston is willing to take a 50% pay cut or no one else liking him enough to go 2M+, and that no one is willing to overpay for VMJ.

I think it’s useful to remember how seldom “hometown discounts” happen. Agents want big contracts, period, and most often that wins out over where a player would prefer to play, assuming that the Cuban prospects do want to play in Miami.

Archived