The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/10/quick-hits-mesa-brothers-rays-giants.html

Cuban prospect Victor Victor Mesa, the consensus top prospect on the International circuit, held a showcase for all 30 teams yesterday at Marlins Park with his brother Victor Mesa, Jr., and made a strong impression, reports Jesse Sanchez of mlb.com. Victor Victor, the eldest of the two by five years, posted top marks in the 60-yard dash, flashed plus arm strength, and hit “with authority” during a live batting practice session against current Marlins minor leaguers.  One top-level American League scout left unimpressed with the eldest’s power projection and noted that Mesa, Jr. could have higher upside, though the prevailing notion, according to Yahoo’s Jeff Passan, is that Victor Victor is the superior prospect and may only need “a year” in the minor leagues.  The Orioles, who boast the most international bonus pool money for the upcoming signing period at $6.7MM, are considered the “likely” favorite to sign the 22-year-old Victor Victor, according to the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo, though the market remains nebulous.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Marlins have traded minor league pitcher Ryan Lillie to the Reds for international bonus pool space. No word on how much they got from the Reds.

On the one hand, this suggests to me that VVM and co. are not already committed to Miami. On the other, looks like Miami is going all-in and believes they have a good chance... I hope the Os are ready to be creative here.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure wish the O's had maybe 750K more to throw at these guys.

I wonder if Duquette was given a ceiling for the amount he was allowed to offer intl prospects to stay within their budget.  Maybe our slot money was higher than the allotted budget by ownership.  So he just traded it for squat.

Just now, ScGO's said:

I wonder if Duquette was given a ceiling for the amount he was allowed to offer intl prospects to stay within their budget.  Maybe our slot money was higher than the allotted budget by ownership.  So he just traded it for squat.

First off it that is true than what they said about the International market can't be taken seriously.

Secondly even if it was true it was stupid.  The Marlins don't know they can't spend it, let them think the gulf is too big to overcome.

Or if you trade it, trade if for something, not Jack Z.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Lillie stands an even 6 feet tall, and weighs in at 190 pounds. Considered small by Major League standards, Lillie is still able to bring considerable heat from the mound. He is young as a pitcher, but the team loved the potential for upside they saw in Lillie

A converted catcher, Lillie hasn’t been pitching for all that long. Being taken in the fifth round speaks volumes for what the team thinks he might become.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The longer it goes on, the more I like our chances.

Miami getting more slot money is an obvious sign of VVM wanting to play in Miami but wanting more money to sign there.

I still don't think we get him.

I think the Marlins have a deal in place where they give him and his brother whatever the cap is that they can offer.

I still don't see them signing all three.

The O's probably get the 16 year old who has less than one pitch and a PED history.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the Marlins have a deal in place where they give him and his brother whatever the cap is that they can offer.

The O's probably get the 16 year old who has less than one pitch and a PED history.

Probably. 

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can see that.  To me it also sounds like the Table Brothers and Gaston are giving the Marlins a window of time to come up with more money.  The Marlins thought they could come into this thing with the money they had available and that would be good enough.  Their sleazy lounge singer agent, I feel, has told them that if they want all 3 they've got 48 hours or so to free up more international money.  

For the record, I'm totally cool with a 16 year old who can hit triple digits if that's all we get.  

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not arguing that this might be the case, it just seems kind of an odd way to go about it. Wait until the day after the showcase to go scrounging for bonus rights. If the Marlins called me in October asking for my international money, I would set the asking price high....even if couldn't use my extra chits...just to watch them squirm. On the other hand, if the brothers have basically already signed for what the Marlins have in hand then why are they jumping around?

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can see that.  To me it also sounds like the Table Brothers and Gaston are giving the Marlins a window of time to come up with more money.  The Marlins thought they could come into this thing with the money they had available and that would be good enough.  Their sleazy lounge singer agent, I feel, has told them that if they want all 3 they've got 48 hours or so to free up more international money.  

For the record, I'm totally cool with a 16 year old who can hit triple digits if that's all we get.  

I am unconvinced that  many 16 year olds that throw that hard have not enhanced. 

Archived