The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm more likely to deviate into Black Metal than Death Metal.  And it's more of a dalliance.

I just posted a sweet Throbbing Gristle cover by the Melvins.

OK, now back on track.  When do we find out the O's got bamboozled on this one?

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off it that is true than what they said about the International market can't be taken seriously.

Secondly even if it was true it was stupid.  The Marlins don't know they can't spend it, let them think the gulf is too big to overcome.

Or if you trade it, trade if for something, not Jack Z.

I agree for sure.  Unless this 37 year old GCL prospect ends up hitting 30 HRs in the majors one day, I don't see the purpose of giving away any intl money. Wouldn't it look like disappointing to VVM as well. He would think its less money they are willing to spend for him.

I am not an accountant, but I believe they file in each state and country they play in. Kershaw played 20 games in CO and AZ and paid a combined $150k in state takes to the two states. So when people talk about no tax in FL, that only covers the home games and not the taxes to the other states. FWIW

Three solid prospects. VMjr is going to be the top guy in this group but may be 3 years out. Vvm is close to mlb ready but doesn’t look like a mike trout by any means, but a solid producer. If you could convince Gaston to only throw 90% for the next 4 years and work on command, slider, change then his arm might be good. I would focus on VMjr if I could only sign one. 

Someone early in this thread said something about artificially low signing money and noted Puigs signing bonus. Don’t think VVM is as good as Puig but I also don’t think Puig ever reached his potential. 

I expect the dominos fall pretty quickly here. Tuesday at the latest 

Conor Byrne on the Bleacher Report AL East notes today reported the following;

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/10/6/17946330/marlins-trade-ryan-lillie-to-reds-international-signing-bonus-pool-money-victor-victors-mesa

The Marlins made a trade Saturday, sending right hander Ryan Lillie to the Reds for International Bonus Pool money and there may be more such moves on the way from the Fish.  "Miami's" exploring other deals  that would enable it to net more international cash, Joe Frisaro of mlb.com  tweets.  The Marlins entered Saturday  with the second most international money available $4.3 million and are known to be in the market for Victor Victor Mesa. The Orioles had five representatives in attendance for the showcase.  The Orioles lack of a GM/Manager won't impact their pursuit of the Mesa's.

Recent article about the workout.

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/10/5/17833438/cuban-international-free-agents-showcase-marlins-park-vi

The workouts were private and media was kept out but some reviews of the players are leaking out  Jr. apparently was impressive and will be signed along with Victor Victor who apparently didn.t show much power. Good arm and speed was evident and solid hitter.

7 hours ago, sevastras said:

Three solid prospects. VMjr is going to be the top guy in this group but may be 3 years out. Vvm is close to mlb ready but doesn’t look like a mike trout by any means, but a solid producer. If you could convince Gaston to only throw 90% for the next 4 years and work on command, slider, change then his arm might be good. I would focus on VMjr if I could only sign one. 

Someone early in this thread said something about artificially low signing money and noted Puigs signing bonus. Don’t think VVM is as good as Puig but I also don’t think Puig ever reached his potential. 

HHP, Front page.

3 hours ago, section18 said:

Conor Byrne on the Bleacher Report AL East notes today reported the following;

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/10/6/17946330/marlins-trade-ryan-lillie-to-reds-international-signing-bonus-pool-money-victor-victors-mesa

The Marlins made a trade Saturday, sending right hander Ryan Lillie to the Reds for International Bonus Pool money and there may be more such moves on the way from the Fish.  "Miami's" exploring other deals  that would enable it to net more international cash, Joe Frisaro of mlb.com  tweets.  The Marlins entered Saturday  with the second most international money available $4.3 million and are known to be in the market for Victor Victor Mesa. The Orioles had five representatives in attendance for the showcase.  The Orioles lack of a GM/Manager won't impact their pursuit of the Mesa's.

Recent article about the workout.

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/10/5/17833438/cuban-international-free-agents-showcase-marlins-park-vi

The workouts were private and media was kept out but some reviews of the players are leaking out  Jr. apparently was impressive and will be signed along with Victor Victor who apparently didn.t show much power. Good arm and speed was evident and solid hitter.

I’d be really unhappy if the Orioles whiff on this. They may have to pick a guy and offer the pool money we have. In order to get one ... it might be the strategy not to come up empty

Why do you expect the dominoes to fall quickly? Aren't the Marlins still trying to make more deals for additional slot room?

Three solid prospects. VMjr is going to be the top guy in this group but may be 3 years out.

What are you basing this on?  Based on the rankings on mlb.com and baseball america this would be a big surprise. Victor Victor is number one in both rankings.  Gaston is 16th on the MLB list and 24th on BA.  Mesa Jr is not ranked in MLBs top 30 nor supposedly in Ben Badler top 50 at BA. Most of the list is Mesa Jr's age.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=int

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d be really unhappy if the Orioles whiff on this. They may have to pick a guy and offer the pool money we have. In order to get one ... it might be the strategy not to come up empty

I think they've already whiffed. 

Archived