Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, atomic said:

I like how you attack me but turn out to be totally ignorant about the situation.  Altuve was signed by the Astros in 2007.  Elias was with the Cardinals until 2011.  

My question was legitimate.   Am I not able to ask for information who know more about prospects than I do.  Geez. 

I wasn't attacking you.  I said you were intentionally being difficult.  The question regarding International players is legit.  But the comment I quoted of yours did not question what Elias' ties to international dealings were..it was theirs...which I honestly took as Houston.  Of course, your reply kind of makes my point.  I know when Altuve was signed and when Elias was hired.  

How about this.  The Orioles have followed their process and made a good hire.  And from here it's going to be real real hard, even if everything goes right.  I am happy tonight that we have someone to lead us.  And while there are no guarantees of success I am quite confident that regardless of our path from here, the record shows Houston was much more successful from 2012-2018 than Baltimore in the international market.

I think all that most of us care about is that we build a winner, and that in doing so we have access to talent in all places that our competitors do... even if we cannot afford to shop at the highest levels.

I think it is a great start.

From here, we can only hope.

Welcome to Baltimore Mike!

34 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I wasn't attacking you.  I said you were intentionally being difficult.  The question regarding International players is legit.  But the comment I quoted of yours did not question what Elias' ties to international dealings were..it was theirs...which I honestly took as Houston.  Of course, your reply kind of makes my point.  I know when Altuve was signed and when Elias was hired.  

How about this.  The Orioles have followed their process and made a good hire.  And from here it's going to be real real hard, even if everything goes right.  I am happy tonight that we have someone to lead us.  And while there are no guarantees of success I am quite confident that regardless of our path from here, the record shows Houston was much more successful from 2012-2018 than Baltimore in the international market.

I think all that most of us care about is that we build a winner, and that in doing so we have access to talent in all places that our competitors do... even if we cannot afford to shop at the highest levels.

I think it is a great start.

From here, we can only hope.

Welcome to Baltimore Mike!

Long-term, the record will also show what Houston did during that time was go from worst to a World Series, and implemented a system that created and will sustain that kind of success.  The Orioles fell quite short of the Astros during that same time period, despite what the W/L record states.  

Now this is a new era for the Orioles, and I hope that the Angelos sons will let Elias do his thing.  He needs 4-5 years to get us back into being a successful franchise, and it's going to be really hard with the other teams in our division.  Everything could go right, and we might still need more time.  

3 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

Bruce Allen isn't the problem. It's at the top of the food chain. I have a bunch of friends and relatives that are Skins fans. I used to party with a few of the players. It's the Owner.

Don’t under estimate how horrific Bruce Allen is, it’s just that Danny boy is even worse. We probably lost Cousins because D.A. Allen didn’t even know his first name. 

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Any chance they will release Davis at the presser?

If they did, it would be the first sign they aren’t as good as I thought.  

It it would be foolish not to try to get him back to some semblance of what he was.  Have to pay him regardless and aren’t winning this year anyhow.  

It's official: Orioles name Mike Elias EVP and General Manager
orioles.com
Orioles News
November 16, 2018 View as web page
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmlb.mlb.com%2Fbal%
Orioles name Mike Elias Executive Vice President and General Manager
The Orioles today announced that Mike Elias has been named the club's next Executive Vice President and General Manager. Elias will oversee all baseball operations for the club and have full autonomy to build his staff and make decisions on all baseball matters that he believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community. 

Elias just completed his 12th season in Major League Baseball, most recently serving as Assistant General Manager, Player Acquisition with the Houston Astros. Throughout his seven years in Houston, he helped to shape an Astros roster that produced back-to-back 100 win seasons, a World Series Championship, two American League Championship Series appearances, and two division titles. He was also an integral part of building one of baseball's top-ranked farm systems that routinely served to graduate talent to the Major League club. 

Official Press Release

Watch Live
The Orioles will introduce MIKE ELIAS, who will be joined by JOHN ANGELOS and LOUIS ANGELOS, on Monday, November 19, at 11:00 a.m. ET. 

The introduction will be carried live on television by the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN), on the radio at 105.7 The Fan, and across Orioles digital platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Orioles.com.

Official Press Release

Nov. 16th, 2018

The Orioles announced Friday that Mike Elias has been named the club's next Executive Vice President and General Manager. Elias will oversee all baseball operations for the club and have full autonomy to build his staff and make decisions on all baseball matters that he believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community. 

Elias just completed his 12th season in Major League Baseball, most recently serving as Assistant General Manager, Player Acquisition with the Houston Astros. Throughout his seven years in Houston, he helped to shape an Astros roster that produced back-to-back 100 win seasons, a World Series Championship, two American League Championship Series appearances, and two division titles. He was also an integral part of building one of baseball's top-ranked farm systems that routinely served to graduate talent to the Major League club.

Elias joined the Astros in 2012 as a special assistant to the General Manager and was a key contributor to Houston's top-ranked First-Year Player Draft by Baseball America. That year, he was named the club's Director of Amateur Scouting, a role in which he served as one of the organization's top talent evaluators. In 2016, he was promoted to Assistant General Manager, Scouting and Player Development, overseeing multiple facets of baseball operations, including player development, minor league operations, and the draft. Additionally, he has led domestic and international scouting efforts for the club since 2017. 

Prior to joining the Astros, Elias spent five seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals, the last two years as the club's Manager of Amateur Scouting. During his time with the Cardinals, he signed and scouted many Major League players and contributed to the development of the scouting department and draft process. His professional career began as an amateur scout for the Cardinals in 2007. 

Elias, 35, is a native of Alexandria, Va., where he attended Thomas Jefferson High School. A 2006 graduate of Yale University, he was a four-time letter winner as a left-handed pitcher for the Bulldogs baseball team.

1 hour ago, weams said:
It's official: Orioles name Mike Elias EVP and General Manager
orioles.com
Orioles News
November 16, 2018 View as web page
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmlb.mlb.com%2Fbal%
The Orioles today announced that Mike Elias has been named the club's next Executive Vice President and General Manager. Elias will oversee all baseball operations for the club and have full autonomy to build his staff and make decisions on all baseball matters that he believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community. 

Official Press Release

Watch Live
The Orioles will introduce MIKE ELIAS, who will be joined by JOHN ANGELOS and LOUIS ANGELOS, on Monday, November 19, at 11:00 a.m. ET. 

The introduction will be carried live on television by the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN), on the radio at 105.7 The Fan, and across Orioles digital platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Orioles.com.

For all us Orioles fans....and for our new leader as we head to the Christmas season....welcome Mike and thank you to John and Lou Angelos!!

From 2017, Their World Series Year. .

The Astros have gradually increased their payroll since bottoming out with their hapless 111-loss campaign in 2013, when, according to the AP's figures, they had a major league-low $24 million opening-day payroll in the second season of Jim Crane's ownership. They ranked last or second-to-last in payroll the subsequent two seasons before graduating from the bottom five last year.

A $120 million payroll would have ranked 16th in MLB last year. The AP typically publishes its analysis of every team's payroll just before opening day.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-payroll-is-on-its-way-up-10927726.php

Archived