DJ Stewart

WarehouseChatter

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree.  I can see Peter Angelos doing just that.

I think Dan wanted to cut them and was told to recoup the money.

Obviously it is speculation on both of our parts.

I doubt Peter Angelos even knew it was possible to trade a comp pick (at least, the first time).   I just don’t think he was in the weeds in that way.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I doubt Peter Angelos even knew it was possible to trade a comp pick (at least, the first time).   I just don’t think he was in the weeds in that way.

I didn't say that.

I said he had to recoup the money. 

Dan did that by trading the picks.

He could have just as easily sent a prospect with equivalent value.

2 hours ago, MMussina35 said:

How many former NASA engineers will it take to realize that Mancini in the outfield is about as much negative value you can find not named Chris Davis? 

Until Davis and Trumbo are gone there is not place to play Mancini but the outfield.  And since the O's are not going to contend in 2019, it really does not matter if Mancini plays the outfield.

The O's are currently in the business of cutting payroll and acquiring young players.   So far they are not in the business of eating salary.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Until Davis and Trumbo are gone there is not place to play Mancini but the outfield.  And since the O's are not going to contend in 2019, it really does not matter if Mancini plays the outfield.

The O's are currently in the business of cutting payroll and acquiring young players.   So far they are not in the business of eating salary.

But it does.  Every inning Mancini plays in the outfield is an inning someone else, who might be part of the future, can't play the outfield. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it does.  Every inning Mancini plays in the outfield is an inning someone else, who might be part of the future, can't play the outfield. 

Like who?  Mullins is in center.   Stewart is in right.  Hays, Diaz and McKenna will all be in the minors.   What outfielder with a future with the O's needs to play the outfield instead of Mancini during the 1st half for 2019?

Yeah, well boo hoo.    If Díaz or Hays were ready right now, I might care, but they’re not, so I don’t.   

I think Diaz and Hays would both learn more in the majors than the minors.

And their service clocks will tick away while they are on the O's active roster in a year the O's are not even trying to win.   Doesn't sound like being true to the process to me.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

And their service clocks will tick away while they are on the O's active roster in a year the O's are not even trying to win.   Doesn't sound like being true to the process to me.

Right, we should just stash everyone in the minors for as long as possible.  Hey with Diaz maybe he can still be under team control for the playoff run in '28!

They need to worry about developing talent, not being miserly with service time.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, we should just stash everyone in the minors for as long as possible.  Hey with Diaz maybe he can still be under team control for the playoff run in '28!

They need to worry about developing talent, not being miserly with service time.

Neither Hays nor Diaz has played a day at AAA yet.  They can develop at AAA to start the season and force their way to the majors.   When and if Trumbo is traded and Mancini moves to 1B/DH they can fight over who gets the promotion.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Neither Hays nor Diaz has played a day at AAA yet.  They can develop at AAA to start the season and force their way to the majors.   When and if Trumbo is traded and Mancini moves to 1B/DH they can fight over who gets the promotion.

How many games did Machado and Markakis play in AAA?

Not every hitter needs to serve a term at Harbor Park.

Now obviously if the folks in charge don't think it is a good idea than I'm fine with it.

But Mancini shouldn't be taking defensive reps away from an actual outfielder.

And manipulating service time shouldn't be an overriding concern.  (I still think the rules are going to be changed in the next CBA)

Odd that a discussion on Stewart has become a diatribe on the value of Mancini.  To weigh in on both:

Trading Mancini now is clearly selling low on an okay not great sophomore season.  He is still young.  Let the performance and analystics teams address him before he is traded.

As for Stewart, I think you could see a power jump in the majors.  I think seeing a cap of a 4th OF is foolhardy given his eye.  He could easily become a seth Smith type with less platoon in his profile.  I think you give him the next two years to be a regular.

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Odd that a discussion on Stewart has become a diatribe on the value of Mancini.  To weigh in on both:

Trading Mancini now is clearly selling low on an okay not great sophomore season.  He is still young.  Let the performance and analystics teams address him before he is traded.

As for Stewart, I think you could see a power jump in the majors.  I think seeing a cap of a 4th OF is foolhardy given his eye.  He could easily become a seth Smith type with less platoon in his profile.  I think you give him the next two years to be a regular.

How is this a diatribe on the value of Mancini?  Who was being forceful and bitter?

This is as much about the proper time to promote prospects as it is about Mancini.

Archived