Orioles select SS Richie Martin with 1st pick of Rule 5 Draft

weams

10 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Martin has a higher OPS than CD. If CD has a spot, Martin will as well.

That's kind of a "if A=B and B=C then A=Q" analogy.  Davis and Martin are in completely different situations.  Background, age, experience, position, contract, Rule 5 status, potential.  Almost all of that is 180 degrees out.  The only similarities are they're baseball players OPS'ing in the .500s.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wish folks would stop using Santana as an example of rule V success.  The rules were different when he was selected.

I'm going to start advocating for going back to the old Rule 5 (not V!).  Prior to 2006 the pool of eligibles was much larger.  Almost all of the HOF/AS/good players taken in the Rule 5 were prior to the '06 shift.  Can you even imagine a sequence of events bizarre enough to have a Roberto Clemente taken in the Rule 5 today?  There'd have to be UFOs, the illuminati, and the CIA involved.

I am reminded of how silly it is for the NFL to continue to use Roman numerals for the Super Bowl.  It was cute for the first few, but now it really makes no sense.  Why waste the brain cells to try to remember what Roman numeral applies to what year?  Just call it the 2020 Super Bowl like they do in every other sport, for Pete's sake.  Can you imagine World Series CXVII?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I agree with this if you are trying to compete.  If you arent, you are trying to acquire talent and the rule 5 draft is a way to do that.  98% of rule 5 draft picks dont make meaningful contributions, bu that other 2% is Johan Santana, or hell, even Jay Gibbons who provided some value.

You do know the rules for the rule 5 draft has changed since Gibbons and Santana were picked? The teams have another year of team control before players are eligible.  While when they were drafted it might have been useful to participate these days it seems a good waste of time and roster spot.   You are also preventing another player who could be more beneficial to keep being on your roster who is out of options. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

ocating for going back to the old Rule 5 (not V!).  Prior to 2006 the pool of eligibles was much larger.  Almost all of the HOF/AS/good players taken in the Rule 5 were prior to the '06 shift.  Can you even imagine a sequence of events bizarre enough to have a Roberto Clemente taken in the Rule 5 today?  There'd have to be UFOs, the illuminati, and the CIA involved.

The players association has sure screwed over minor league players.  I am not sure how you can put people who are not in the union under union rules.  Minor league players should get their own union.  

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Martin has a higher OPS than CD. If CD has a spot, Martin will as well.

If Chris Davis was making $550k this year he would be long released.  If Richie Martin had 3 more years on his contract at $23 million a year I doubt he would have the support he has on this board. 

• Upvote 2

Meh. Martin is here until we have someone appreciably better with whom to replace him. If he improves significantly, maybe he’ll stay. If not, he’ll join Joey Rickard. Either way, the sun comes up.

Move along, folks, nothing to see here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

I am reminded of how silly it is for the NFL to continue to use Roman numerals for the Super Bowl.  It was cute for the first few, but now it really makes no sense.  Why waste the brain cells to try to remember what Roman numeral applies to what year?  Just call it the 2020 Super Bowl like they do in every other sport, for Pete's sake.  Can you imagine World Series CXVII?

The Super Bowl crossed over into bombastic self-parody about 35 years ago, they can't stop now.  Get rid of Roman Numerals and they'll have to scale back the next halftime show, which is scheduled to be the living members of Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Guns N Roses, a hologram of Elvis, 3500 life giraffes, six monster trucks, the Up With People dancers, an airburst of three tactical nukes, and Evil Knieval's step-godson riding a rocket hovercraft over a pool of lava.

• Haha 1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

The Super Bowl crossed over into bombastic self-parody about 35 years ago, they can't stop now.  Get rid of Roman Numerals and they'll have to scale back the next halftime show, which is scheduled to be the living members of Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Guns N Roses, a hologram of Elvis, 3500 life giraffes, six monster trucks, the Up With People dancers, an airburst of three tactical nukes, and Evil Knieval's step-godson riding a rocket hovercraft over a pool of lava.

240px-Super_Bowl_50_Logo.svg.png

They made an exception for L.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

If Chris Davis was making $550k this year he would be long released.  If Richie Martin had 3 more years on his contract at $23 million a year I doubt he would have the support he has on this board. 

I agree; however with a young rebuilding team he has the opporunity to play poorly... for a while.

The good news is, last 14 days he's hitting .240/.321/.480 for a 801 OPS.  If he can continue something close to that for the rest of the month it'll look like he's turning things around.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wish folks would stop using Santana as an example of rule V success.  The rules were different when he was selected.

Fine.  Joakim Soria, Josh Hamilton, Marwin Gonzalez, Shane Victorino, Dan Uggla.  There are a number of players that still prove my point.  And a few of these guys were legit pieces on championship teams.