Waste of International Bounty. New GM. Discuss.

Can_of_corn

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Voice your complaints to Weams.

Like I would choose a title like this.

I will say that depending on the money it could be a plurality of international players.

Noted and accepted. What's wrong with the title though?

1 minute ago, weams said:

Oh, it's not money. And all the guys currently eligible are gone. But new ones will come in July.  Oh, and we still have the ability to spend 5 million on they guys no one else wanted or suprise guys. If they get enough season ticket holder renewals to fund the acquisitions. 

It's info like this where I'm wondering why CoC still holds his opinion. He might be right, but he'll only be right later in July if we are still trading away money. So.. just pack it up, be the bigger man, and admit you don't have ground to stand on right now. But you might later! 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

It's info like this where I'm wondering why CoC still holds his opinion. He might be right, but he'll only be right later in July if we are still trading away money. So.. just pack it up, be the bigger man, and admit you don't have ground to stand on right now. But you might later! 

Humans fought wars for decades over 450 meters of land. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's healthy to be skeptical and I get that, but there's no more reason to be skeptical after the Jackson trade than before. I'm perfectly willing to join the skepticism when there's a factual reason to. 

Corn will stand his ground anytime that fake money is traded, Brady is employed, competitive balance picks are traded to save money, or Chris Davis remains on a roster. And his OPS will be north of .850. Corn's, not Davis. 

23 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know I'm up on this hill by myself.

I unfortunately expect a lot of company in the coming months.

And yes, this is all my take on what has happened and yes none of us know the actual details.

I'm not ready to hit the panic button at the moment, but I'm certainly not sold on Elias being the savior. I have to see proof. So, for now at least, I'm on the hill with you.

4 hours ago, weams said:

Oh, it's not money. And all the guys currently eligible are gone. But new ones will come in July.  Oh, and we still have the ability to spend 5 million on they guys no one else wanted or suprise guys. If they get enough season ticket holder renewals to fund the acquisitions. 

Having to rely on ticket sales to fund acquisitions is so 20th Century. 

20 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

I'm not ready to hit the panic button at the moment, but I'm certainly not sold on Elias being the savior. I have to see proof. So, for now at least, I'm on the hill with you.

While I don’t necessarily see Elias as a savior (he’ll have to prove that), I don’t think his decision to trade some slots for this cycle for a Rule 5 player is evidence that ownership is restricting his access to the international market.    I think Elias has way more slots available than he can wisely spend on the available players for this cycle, because essentially all the good players were signed long ago.   Do we even know how much in slots he traded away?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

While I don’t necessarily see Elias as a savior (he’ll have to prove that), I don’t think his decision to trade some slots for this cycle for a Rule 5 player as evidence that ownership is restricting his access to the international market.    I think Elias has way more slots available than he can wisely spend on the available players for this cycle, because essentially all the good players were signed long ago.   Do we even know how much in slots he traded away?

I have not seen that information.

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Whats the point of adopting a view after it has been proven correct?

Yep, they shouldn't have tendered Matusz a contract in 2016, bad move that.

I'd rather spot an early trend and risk being wrong.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think the problem was Duquette?

I don't know.  And I don't know if Elias has the same ground rules as Duquette did.  I doubt he would have taken the job if the Angelos boys told him he had a bunch of seemingly unreasonble restrictions placed on him.

My guess is that they have way more intenational money then they think they can reasonably spend in this cycle, after ramping up for the guys they didn't end up with, and now they're trying to get something for it.  But it's not totally out of the question that Elias has now been caught up in a web of deceit, ineptness and chicanery.

Archived