Analytics question...

Bmorebirds24

Frequent reader but don't post much... 

So I have heard that it will take the Orioles awhile to catch up in the analytics department.  I have some questions about that because I do not fully understand things about the whole analytics part.  What is it exactly?  My understanding is it's just numbers and data on players that can help put players in a better position to succeed?  Is it that hard to get all the data or is there more to it that I don't see yet?  Hopefully this makes sense.

Here's an example.  Chris Davis is obviously a mess at the plate.  ME has said that he is going to follow Davis this off season and see what he can do to help Davis out.  How would analytics help him at all?  To me what would help is him actually working all off season to fix his swing and whatever seems to be going on in his head.  Maybe I am just negative about Davis because I don't believe he can be fixed but just trying to learn more about the analytics part of the game now.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bmorebirds24 said:

So I have heard that it will take the Orioles awhile to catch up in the analytics department.  I have some questions about that because I do not fully understand things about the whole analytics part.  What is it exactly?  My understanding is it's just numbers and data on players that can help put players in a better position to succeed?  Is it that hard to get all the data or is there more to it that I don't see yet?  Hopefully this makes sense.

Here's an example.  Chris Davis is obviously a mess at the plate.  ME has said that he is going to follow Davis this off season and see what he can do to help Davis out.  How would analytics help him at all?  To me what would help is him actually working all off season to fix his swing and whatever seems to be going on in his head.  Maybe I am just negative about Davis because I don't believe he can be fixed but just trying to learn more about the analytics part of the game now.

Post more.

13 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Several things. It won't take the Orioles any time to catch up. They have a Deity in Analytics at the helm. An inventor, not a follower. He'll need to staff. But it is all his stuff. Ground Control from Major Sig. 

What it does is take's the guessing out of the process. Numbers are assigned and angles and velocities recorded.  Based on the data and the results - optimum methods of process can be analysed for any park, contention, count. Launch angles, routes to batted balls, swing velocities, and spin rates all determine what should and mostly will happen based on circumstance.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The hard part isn't collecting data, it's super easy to collect data in this day and age.

The hard part is sorting through all the data and finding the stuff that will give a team an edge in some aspect of the game.

Yes. There is no revolutionary edge unless it is against a team without access to the data.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The hard part isn't collecting data, it's super easy to collect data in this day and age.

The hard part is sorting through all the data and finding the stuff that will give a team an edge in some aspect of the game.

That's what I pretty much figured.  Sometimes when I am reading through and looking at numbers it makes my head spin.  Lol.  

Chris Davis can't be fixed by analytics andy more than Steve Sax could be fixed by staring at goats. If he does not seing it is a strik. If he does swing it is one the wrong plain and not quick enough.

Think of him as a guess hitter who had a neural path interruption. It's not coming back. What he could do is swings and lifts so much that he bleeds and breaks down  Because that is the only thing that got him where he is in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Do you guys have an app I can post through from my phone?  I tried to find you on tapatalk.  I usually just read through my web browser on my phone.  It can be hard to post that way.

Nope. No apps. Our board is pretty mobile friendly anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And not getting tricked by the packaging of multiple statistics (including  evolving variable defensive numbers) into a macro number. Like the Cubs did with Heyward.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Chris Davis can't be fixed by analytics andy more than Steve Sax could be fixed by staring at goats. If he does not seing it is a strik. If he does swing it is one the wrong plain and not quick enough.

Think of him as a guess hitter who had a neural path interruption. It's not coming back. What he could do is swings and lifts so much that he bleeds and breaks down  Because that is the only thing that got him where he is in the first place.

I was hoping he'd do us and himself a favor and retire.  He is brutal to watch.  I must say the new hires have me excited and while there is bound to be growing pains I am excited to watch this team come together in the coming years.  I know I am reaching but I think this team can win 60 games and be better than the team we watched last year.

1 minute ago, weams said:

And not getting tricked by the packaging of multiple statistics (including  evolving variable defensive numbers) into a macro number. Like the Cubs did with Heyward.

?

I don't think any data existed that predicted his precipitous offensive decline.

And I'd still rather have his contract than Davis'.

6 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

I was hoping he'd do us and himself a favor and retire.  He is brutal to watch.  I must say the new hires have me excited and while there is bound to be growing pains I am excited to watch this team come together in the coming years.  I know I am reaching but I think this team can win 60 games and be better than the team we watched last year.

I think you are certainly within the range of possible outcomes. 

Archived