Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 minute ago, weams said:

Pucky. When you take over a business and have complete control you can’t necessarily break all the existing property leases.  Nor can you declare bankruptcy without the reconcent of ownership. And their signature. 

Who is talking about breaking leases or declaring bankruptcy?

Total control is total control not total control except over your 25 and 40 man rosters.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But Elias has total control!!!  What the sons want shouldn't make a difference.

Opening up a slot on the 25 and 40 man rosters is a good reason to cut Davis.  I hope by this time next year the O's have some hard choices on whom to protect on the 40.

I would expect the owners to be involved with every 96m decision that the O's make.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Peter Angelos made that decision years ago.

Right now it is a 555K decision.

Do you think the owners need to be involved in every 555K decision?

No it isn’t. Do you think that bad debts are wiped from the books when new CEO is installed?

2 hours ago, weams said:

No it isn’t. Do you think that bad debts are wiped from the books when new CEO is installed?

Yes it is.    The $23 mm/yr is on the books whether Davis is on the team or not.    Cutting him does not cost $23 mm/yr.   It costs whatever it would cost to bring in the guy who replaces him on the roster.     

2 hours ago, weams said:

I think they know when to cut bait.  Target lost how much when they pulled out of Canada after one year?  I've seen plenty of other corporations make similar moves.

Cutting Davis would cost the O's exactly what replacing him on the 25 man roster would cost.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they know when to cut bait.  Target lost how much when they pulled out of Canada after one year?  I've seen plenty of other corporations make similar moves.

Cutting Davis would cost the O's exactly what replacing him on the 25 man roster would cost.

When you release a guy, how does the payout terms get modified?

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes it is.    The $23 mm/yr is on the books whether Davis is on the team or not.    Cutting him does not cost $23 mm/yr.   It costs whatever it would cost to bring in the guy who replaces him on the roster.     

I want Davis cut by the end of the season too. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would releasing a guy change the already agreed upon payment schedule? 

Did the Red Sox take a huge luxury tax hit when they released Panda or HamRam?  I don't think they did.

I don't know. I asked. Does the deferred money become payable? I'm uncertain myself. 

Just now, weams said:

I want Davis cut by the end of the season too. 

I want Davis to win the Triple Crown in 2019.    Short of that, if he hit like he did in 2017 (.215/.309/.423, 26 HR 61 RBI, -0.1 rWAR), I might still keep him in the hope of further improvement in 2020.    But another year like last year?   No way.

Archived