2019 Chicago White Sox

OFFNY

I look forward comparing and contrasting the rebuilding efforts of teams like Philly, CWS, Baltimore, SD, and Atlanta over the next several seasons.

Chicago had three very attractive pieces: Sale, Quintana, and Eaton.  Three guys that they signed to team friendly deals and shipped off for uber-prospects.  Moncada was #1 at the time, Giolito was #3 at some point.  

They timed their rebuild around the "historic" FA class of 2018-2019.  But it looks like they'll get shut out.

They play in a division that's not very good and they seem unable to capitalize on it.

• 1 month later...

o

(APRIL 10th)

TAMPA BAY DEVIL R AYS

Austin Meadows - RF

Tommy Pham - LF

崔志萬 - 1B

Brandon Lowe - 2B

Avisail Antonio Garcia Yaguarin - DH

Kevin Kiermaier - CF

Daniel Robertson - 3B

Mike Zunino - C

Willy Rafael Luna Adames - SS

Tyler Allen Glasnow - RHP )) (2-0, 0.82 ERA) ) *

* )) Leads the Major Leagues in Winning Percentage (1.000)

CHICAGO WHITE S OX

Leury Garcia - CF

Yoan Manuel Moncada Olivera - 3B

Jose Dariel Abreu Correa - 1B

Yonder Alonso - DH

Eloy Arturo Jimenez Solano - LF

Timothy Devon Anderson, Jr. - SS

Welington Castillo - C

Daniel Palka - RF

Yolmer Sanchez - 2B

Reynaldo Starling Lopez Kely - RHP )) (0-1, 10.00 ERA)

https://www.baseballpress.com/Lineups

o

o

Let's go, White Sox ........ Ivan Nova faces his former team.

(APRIL 13th)

CHICAGO WHITE S OX

Leury Garcia - RF

Timothy Devon Anderson, Jr. - SS

Jose Dariel Abreu Correa - 1B

Yonder Alonso - DH

Yoan Manuel Moncada Olivera - 3B

Eloy Arturo Jimenez Solano - LF

Welington Castillo - C

Jose Gregorio Rondon Hidalgo - 2B

Adam Engel - CF

Ivan Manuel Nova Guance - RHP )) (0-1, 7.71 ERA)

NEW YORK YANKEES

Brett Gardner - CF

Aaron Judge - RF

David John LeMahieu - 3B

Gleyber David Torres Castro - SS

Greg Bird - 1B

Clint Frazier - DH

Mike Tauchman - LF

Kyle Higashioka - C

Tyler Wade - 2B

Carsten Charles Sabathia, Jr. - LHP )) (9-7, 3.65 ERA) ) *

* )) 2018 Season Statistics

https://www.baseballpress.com/Lineups

o

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(MAY 13th)

After starting the season at 4-9, the White Sox have gone a respectable 15-12 over their next 27 games to reach 19-21 overall at the 1/4 mark of the season.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/chw

o

o

And as soon as I post that, I read this ........

Carlos Rodon Needs Tommy John Surgery, and Likely Will Be Out Until the 2nd Half of the 2020 Season

(By LaMond Pope)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-spt-white-sox-carlos-rodon-nate-jones-surgery-20190513-story.html

o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 10:29 AM, OFFNY said:

o

(July 28th)

In his last 2 outings combined, Ivan Nova has ceded only 1 Earned Run over 15 Innings Pitched, with 9 Strikeouts and only 1 Walk.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=novaiv01&t=p&year=2019

o

o

(August 7th)

In his last 4 outings combined, Ivan Nova has ceded only 2 Earned Runs over 28 Innings Pitched, with 14 Strikeouts and 6 Walks.

That's good for an 0.64 ERA.

In his last 7 outings combined, Ivan Nova has ceded 12 Earned Runs over 44.33 Innings Pitched, with 24 Strikeouts and 12 Walks.

That's good for a 2.44 ERA.

o

o

The White Sox have been my 2nd favorite team since 1989. 

After seeing the movie "Eight Men Out," I read the book, along with several other biographies of Shoeless Joe Jackson, did lots of research, and eventually became a Black Sox expert.

I actually called a man named Gardner Stern on the telephone just before he died in 1996 who lived in Chicago his entire life, and who was 16 years-old at the time of the fix. I spoke extensively with him about it (the 1919 World Series.)

Not only did this man (Gardner Stern) go to the games at the 1919 World Series, but he was actually at the first game ever at the original Comiskey Park in 1910. 

Now they will be playing a Major League Baseball game in the mythical Field of Dreams, built in the cornfields of Dyersville, Iowa.

White Sox and Yankees will Play at the ‘Field of Dreams’ — a ‘Special Cornfield in Iowa’ — in 2020

(By Lamond Pope)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-white-sox-field-of-dreams-20190808-hbfgk3igrbd3rbmrtzusjjzqgi-story.html

o

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 6:29 PM, Il BuonO said:

Giolito with an impressive outing today, a CG SO of the Twins....IP 9 H 3 SO 12 BB 0.

Nice to see him living up to what I thought of him in high school when I scouted him years ago in CA.

Can you speak to what he’s doing differently this year compared to last season?

21 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Can you speak to what he’s doing differently this year compared to last season?

Yes, he’s made a select number of minor adjustments instead of an overhaul of his delivery. 

He always struck as a sharp and thoughtful kid and his determination to make changes with all his talent speaks volumes about his character.

He’s talked about shorter arm action, more like an infielder, which leaves less room for error and is more athletic. At foot strike he’s more compact, has a better weight transfer and it gives him more power at release. 

Good to see him have some level of success.

• Like 1