Will Araujo Make The Team?

Rene88

1 minute ago, oriole said:

But then they’d have to keep him on the 40. According to rule 5 rules when returning a player, do they have to stay on original teams 40 man if the drafting team successfully got him through waivers? I’m not an expert on the issue, so I could totally be wrong. It happens quite often actually.

No. They do not. You are correct. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I have been an advocate of Araujo making the roster and then going down after the 17 days. But I can't say he impresses me right now. Honestly, he looks injured to me. He's not the same guy I saw last spring. Since early May 2018, he's been damaged goods. His velo is down, and his body language tells me something is wrong there. Maybe he's just pressing, trying to make the team, but he's not right.

He had flashed a plus slider to go with the plus split. Those, with a mid 90's FB he used to have, would make him viable if he can be healthy and consistent in his mechanics.

He has not looked good, but he will not be 26 until July. If you think he's a dude in the back end in two years, I think you have to keep him. If they keep him, may have to take 13 pitchers North to cover him a bit.

If true, could we put him on the DL again and push his 17 days down the road?

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gotta get over this way of thinking... 17 days and the whole idea of “scheming to keep a player”. 

The player is not good. Is 26. Has never had success above A ball. Was drafted in the third round of the Rule 5.  How many players have ever been drafted in the third round of the Rule 5 draft???? He was a “Buck Flier”. He didn’t work out. He was acquired before the selloff and before our own guys needed to be added to the 40 man. 

It’s hard to come out of the bullpen with a changeup being your best pitch. What if the Hitters don’t chase?  Then he’s out there with a below average FB. 

Bottomline... dude was acquired when it made “sense”. Now we have better reliever options that belong on the 40 man over him. Not to mention position players and potential waiver claims. 

I’ll break down the bottom of the 40 man and the likely scenario for OD,

40. Hanser Alberto - He either makes the team, or Escobar is added as a direct replacement. Alberto is out of options. 

39. We have to add a C. Either Sucre or Perez. Who goes?  Arajuo or Wilkerson. Wilkerson is only 1 year older than Arajuo and provides depth in the IF that we are relatively thin at. Arajuo wouldn’t even make AAA’s bullpen. He’d be 26 and in AA. With a below average FB. 

38. What if we really love EY Jr or some great waiver wire opportunity? Then bye bye to both Wilkerson and Arajuo. 

I thought about this a lot, and I think you are correct. I’d really like to keep him, but the cost of keeping him is to let go someone who might have more value to the team both near and long-term.

So regretfully, we’ve got to put him down...Thanks for the memories, Pal.

It all comes down to how the Orioles view his potential. If they think he can regain some stuff and become a guy, then it's worth the 17 days. If they have evaluated the stuff, believe it's below average, and believe he'll never be more than an up/down guy, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep him.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It all comes down to how the Orioles view his potential. If they think he can regain some stuff and become a guy, then it's worth the 17 days. If they have evaluated the stuff, believe it's below average, and believe he'll never be more than an up/down guy, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep him.

Of course.  On this team, seventeen days is of NO importance. And Davis Hess has just given up nine runs. Got rocked. At 91 MPH. So they need some pitchers. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Araujo is healthy and Orioles want to keep him ,just let him serve his 17 days and send him down to Norfolk or Bowie. 

I agree. But I had raised the question earlier that he may have an injury and if so, then IL him.

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If true, could we put him on the DL again and push his 17 days down the road?

This makes a lot of sense. If the reason why he has performed poorly this Spring is because of injury, the smartest thing to do is to put him on the DL. 

This makes no sense: "Gotta get over this way of thinking... 17 days and the whole idea of “scheming to keep a player”. Legally retaining rights to players that a team wants is a good thing, not bad. The Orioles would not be "scheming" when MLB rules dictate that after 17 more days as an Oriole, Araujo remains in the organization. They would be working wholly within the framework of the rules.

Saying that the past actions of the Orioles represent "scheming," with its clearly negative connotations in this case, communicates the belief that they have acted outside of the rules, but there is no proof of this. There has never been so much as a statement by any team or by MLB that the Orioles have manipulated the system outside of the spirit of the rules. MLB does not turn a blind eye to evidence of rules violations, see Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles...

If the current front office is anything less than 100% committed to building a better future by working within the parameters of the rules, then they are committing malfeasance. 

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

This makes a lot of sense. If the reason why he has performed poorly this Spring is because of injury, the smartest thing to do is to put him on the DL. 

This makes no sense: "Gotta get over this way of thinking... 17 days and the whole idea of “scheming to keep a player”. Legally retaining rights to players that a team wants is a good thing, not bad. The Orioles would not be "scheming" when MLB rules dictate that after 17 more days as an Oriole, Araujo remains in the organization. They would be working wholly within the framework of the rules.

Saying that the past actions of the Orioles represent "scheming," with its clearly negative connotations in this case, communicates the belief that they have acted outside of the rules, but there is no proof of this. There has never been so much as a statement by any team or by MLB that the Orioles have manipulated the system outside of the spirit of the rules. MLB does not turn a blind eye to evidence of rules violations, see Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles...

If the current front office is anything less than 100% committed to building a better future by working within the parameters of the rules, then they are committing malfeasance. 

Yeah, I can't stand the articles about service time, as if teams somehow exploiting an unknown loophole to get an "extra year of control". They are doing exactly what the rules permit, nothing extra. It would be like not taking a tax deduction that you are entitled to.

5 hours ago, weams said:

Of course.  On this team, seventeen days is of NO importance. And Davis Hess has just given up nine runs. Got rocked. At 91 MPH. So they need some pitchers. 

I know this was a typo, but it got me thinking... what if we could fuse Chris Davis and one of our pitchers together?  Would the pitcher acquire the Davis strike out power?  Kind of like Spider Man got his power from a radioactive spider bite?

8 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I know this was a typo, but it got me thinking... what if we could fuse Chris Davis and one of our pitchers together?  Would the pitcher acquire the Davis strike out power?  Kind of like Spider Man got his power from a radioactive spider bite?

I imagine if this worked, the pitcher would have the power to make opposing batters stare at strike three like Davis always does.

Maybe Sig has a scientist buddy at NASA that can facilitate such an experiment. For the pitcher I nominate Mike Wright. 

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I imagine if this worked, the pitcher would have the power to make opposing batters stare at strike three like Davis always does.

Maybe Sig has a scientist buddy at NASA that can facilitate such an experiment. For the pitcher I nominate Mike Wright. 

How about someone more likeable or with more service time?

Archived