Dwight Smith Jr starting left fielder?

wildcard

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I never believe splits like that.  I assume that's either completely random or due to other effects coincidental to, in this case, position.

I do buy into it, depending on the player. If someone is FAR more comfortable somewhere defensively it stands to reason playing there versus somewhere he's less comfortable would free up his mind in the box. There are some people that can compartmentalize really well and there isn't an impact on hitting if fielding is a worry (or visa versa). On the other hand, there are people that aren't able to do that as well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Philip said:

If we have room for another OF, wouldn’t Young be a better choice?  His defense is undeniably good and he can still run. I just can’t imagine seriously letting Mancini play LF.

Let's say for the sake of argument that Trumbo is still hurt and Davis gets released.  Who besides Mancini can play first?  Are we a case of food poisoning or the flu away from Jace Peterson (Zips projection for .645 OPS) starting opening day at first base?  I guess Wilkerson (.576) or Ruiz (.657) could play there in a pinch.

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He has been playing CF. I think he will take AB's from Mullins, who can't hit RH.

So Far in ST Jackson has played all over the place...CF-9, SS-8, 2B-4, 3B-2, DH-2, RF-1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Let's say for the sake of argument that Trumbo is still hurt and Davis gets released.  Who besides Mancini can play first?  Are we a case of food poisoning or the flu away from Jace Peterson (Zips projection for .645 OPS) starting opening day at first base?  I guess Wilkerson (.576) or Ruiz (.657) could play there in a pinch.

Why i don't see Davis released until they have seen enough time with Mountcastle or Nunez at first.  Mountcastle needs to learn to play first some down in the minors maybe a half season until i would feel comfortable with him playing in the majors there.  

7 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I do buy into it, depending on the player. If someone is FAR more comfortable somewhere defensively it stands to reason playing there versus somewhere he's less comfortable would free up his mind in the box. There are some people that can compartmentalize really well and there isn't an impact on hitting if fielding is a worry (or visa versa). On the other hand, there are people that aren't able to do that as well.

I think the people who can't compartmentalize and focus and are totally thrown off by different roles and usage patterns are mostly players who don't have the makeup to get to the majors.  The competition between youth ball, high school ball, college, minors... none of that is focused on putting players only in places where they're completely comfortable.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You site these OPS's as if Davis didn't have a .539 last year playing 1B. :) 

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I’m not sure your comment relates to my question. I was asking whether Young would be a better choice  for the OF than Smith.

if David gets released(for which God be praised) then of course Mancini would take over 1B. That’s not even a question.

49 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nunez is coming off the bench today, I believe. So I expect him to make it and be the DH while Trumbo goes on the IL. 

Nunez is coming off the bench as Trumbo's replacement at DH. Until he plays the field and throws, he still isn't garunteed a spot. Might be IL'ed.

37 minutes ago, Natty said:

Looks like Trumbo cant run yet. Everytime he has to leg one out he comes out immediately for a pinch runner.

Still only getting 2 at bats a game.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

You site these OPS's as if Davis didn't have a .539 last year playing 1B. :) 

Yea, but you can always find a David Washington type on the waiver wire between now and April 1st who'd be a -3 glove and a .710 OPS at first.  It's amazing how the O's could get three wins better by picking up some 28-year-old guy who thought he was going to spend the summer in Memphis hoping the Cards' first baseman breaks a bone.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not sure your comment relates to my question. I was asking whether Young would be a better choice  for the OF than Smith.

if David gets released(for which God be praised) then of course Mancini would take over 1B. That’s not even a question.

It didn't really, except that it got me thinking that Mancini could be the only real first baseman on the roster come opening day.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It didn't really, except that it got me thinking that Mancini could be the only real first baseman on the roster come opening day.

Perhaps but as you said above, first basemen are cheap and plentiful. And David Washington already has 6 ABs as an Oriole. He struck out five times, so he’d fit right in.

but Mancini would be a fine 1B. Trumbo is ok at 1B too. Trumbo going on the IL will solve several problems and make the team much better.

51 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Curious who folks have on true talent - Dwight Smith or DJ Stewart.

I think the 26-man roster next year has a 13-pitcher limit so there may be an extra job for a 5th OF/pinch hitter for glove-first types by the time we're any good again.

They are similar dudes, former early rd picks who are MLB quality players but will have to have a 80% or so outcome to be regulars. Stewart has a better batted ball profile but Smith hits the ball a little harder. I give Stewart a slight edge (more polished defensively and on the bases + younger) but I see why you’d add Smith especially is you think you can get him to hit it in the air more often.

59 minutes ago, Natty said:

Right now Smith is batting .333 with 6 hits. Jackson is batting .326 with 15 hits. So Smith has a very small sample so far. 

I don't think Orioles.com updated Smith's record with his 0 for 4 yesterday.  I think he is now hitting .233 and a .714 OPS according to the Box Score.

49 minutes ago, Philip said:

If we have room for another OF, wouldn’t Young be a better choice?  His defense is undeniably good and he can still run. I just can’t imagine seriously letting Mancini play LF.

Young is 34 and has not hit well in his major league career.  His ST numbers are a mirage.  He can still play defense and run if that is enough for Elias to want him on the team.    However, someone has to be DFA'd to make room for him.

Archived