Austin Hays: On The Mend!

Legend_Of_Joey

Guess I threw the tread off track a little. Just got miffed at seeing both the Maryland men and women lose this week because they missed a bunch of FT's. Usually if a Terp team loses it's because of turnovers, missed free throws or a combination of both.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/25/2019 at 8:26 AM, jabba72 said:

Weeks for a mild sprain is still kind of rough. I dont know how you stop hand injuries from sliding until you go feet first.  

Is a feet first slide really safer?

https://www.mlb.com/news/miguel-sano-injured-sliding-into-second-base-c293338666
https://www.mlb.com/news/baseball-injury-updates

"....Nick Senzel, Reds
Cincinnati's top prospect -- and MLB's Pipeline's No. 6 overall -- left a Minor League game Monday with a right ankle injury he suffered while sliding into second base.

After a source told MLB Network insider Ken Rosenthal that X-rays on Senzel's ankle came back negative, the club announced Tuesday the 23-year-old will be in a boot for the next week or two as part of the recovery process. He is expected to need several more weeks after that to be able to return to game action."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why aren't all players in the organization required to wear sliding mitts on both hands?

1 hour ago, AZRon said:

Is a feet first slide really safer?

https://www.mlb.com/news/miguel-sano-injured-sliding-into-second-base-c293338666
https://www.mlb.com/news/baseball-injury-updates

"....Nick Senzel, Reds
Cincinnati's top prospect -- and MLB's Pipeline's No. 6 overall -- left a Minor League game Monday with a right ankle injury he suffered while sliding into second base.

After a source told MLB Network insider Ken Rosenthal that X-rays on Senzel's ankle came back negative, the club announced Tuesday the 23-year-old will be in a boot for the next week or two as part of the recovery process. He is expected to need several more weeks after that to be able to return to game action."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why aren't all players in the organization required to wear sliding mitts on both hands?

It's tough to grab your crotch with a mitt on each hand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 11:18 AM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

2+ weeks since the injury. Any status report? Is he still wearing a device on his hand? When will he be cleared to throw or swing a bat?

I said it would be months, and I still believe that.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

2+ weeks since the injury. Any status report? Is he still wearing a device on his hand? When will he be cleared to throw or swing a bat?

I said it would be months, and I still believe that.

If and when there is news, someone will mention it. Most likely still isn't hitting yet, or it would of been reported.

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

Definitely vague.  I’m assuming the tweet meant he will be playing soon, but almost sounded like a promotion tweet...which seems impossible. 

Very vague.    Possibly encouraging but who knows?

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

Definitely vague.  I’m assuming the tweet meant he will be playing soon, but almost sounded like a promotion tweet...which seems impossible. 

Sounds like what they told him when they sent him down ... before he got hurt.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:58 AM, NashLumber said:

Am I misremembering, but wasn't there a time in baseball when bases actually were bags? They had a little give to it upon impact. Seemed they were some kind of plastic mesh and soft padding that were tied into the ground with a spike and straps. They seemed far safer than these hard monstrosities they put into the ground with the bar / receptacle. Go back to that. MLB can afford something a tad less flimsy the hand me downs we had for bases as a kid in Little League and high school.  

An old article, but it talks about the issues with the current bases and does mention the old ones.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/10902301/mlb-game-bases-hazard-player-health

On 3/24/2019 at 9:58 AM, NashLumber said:

Am I misremembering, but wasn't there a time in baseball when bases actually were bags? They had a little give to it upon impact. Seemed they were some kind of plastic mesh and soft padding that were tied into the ground with a spike and straps. They seemed far safer than these hard monstrosities they put into the ground with the bar / receptacle. Go back to that. MLB can afford something a tad less flimsy the hand me downs we had for bases as a kid in Little League and high school.  

26 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

An old article, but it talks about the issues with the current bases and does mention the old ones.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/10902301/mlb-game-bases-hazard-player-health

Interesting article. Amazing that it’s been almost five years from its publication and from all appearances, the bases remain the immovable object. Even something like Velcro or 3M tape on each of the four corners (under the base) would hold it in place until someone plows into it. And I said, something more forgiving like the old bags themselves would be a huge improvement. I see in their piece that Buck was an advocate of finding something safer even then. That long list of injuries cited in the article would seem to be a red flag for the players’ union to step up for advocating a change. If that was mentioned, my apologies. I only got 3/4 through the article due to a tight deadline today. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived