Villar and baseball IQ

ChuckS

I like seeing Villar play, I think he will be a good hitter this year.  He brings some excitement to the team with his base running, he could very well break the O's stolen base record this season. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Natty said:

I like seeing Villar play, I think he will be a good hitter this year.  He brings some excitement to the team with his base running, he could very well break the O's stolen base record this season. 

What is the O's stolen base record? 57 by Luis Aparicio in 1964. 

16 minutes ago, weams said:

I think Villar is great. I see none of this. 

I love ya buddy, but you didn't see Beckam's idiocy on the field either. :D

Vilalr is a good player, I like him a lot, but he does have some struggles at times keeping focused, particularly on the base paths. As i said before though, he's not a low I player for me. More of a guy who loses focus occasionally similar to Melvin Mora.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

He has one so far. Needs 57 more over the next 157 games. That's better than one every three days. A tall order.

So far, I am kind of disappointed that we are not attempting too many steals. We have some fast guys, lets run them...

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

He has one so far. Needs 57 more over the next 157 games. That's better than one every three days. A tall order.

Last year Villar got 21 SB in 2 months with us. 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I love ya buddy, but you didn't see Beckam's idiocy on the field either. :D

Vilalr is a good player, I like him a lot, but he does have some struggles at times keeping focused, particularly on the base paths. As i said before though, he's not a low I player for me. More of a guy who loses focus occasionally similar to Melvin Mora.

To compare this Villar stuff to Beckham is nonsense. And I liked Beckham. 

2 minutes ago, BamaOsFan said:

He's probably the Orioles' best all around player. He certainly plays with passion and effort.

Probably. And we don't have many average or better players. But I like him. He'll be traded.

I really think Villar got unlucky slipping off the base (he got back in time) and Mancini's line drive hitting him. I think he has the opposite of low baseball IQ. He's great at stealing bases even though he isn't especially fast and he's been able to consistently hit to the opposite field. That seems like high baseball IQ to me.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

And 15 in the other four months with Milwaukee. 57 is a lot.

How Henderson got nearly twice that in 1982. I wish teams would steal more. I know the analytics folks seem to frown on it due to risk accessment but I always thought it added a fun element to the game. Villar has holes in his game like all these guys but he seems to have less than not. If he’s another Melvin Mora, that’s great since Mora definitely was better for us than he wasn’t.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Sure, no reason to critique anything about the team when they are enjoying a nice little winning streak.  Let's just be happy!

I am worried about mistakes by a player because that is the one thing that can be corrected.  Can't correct the talent.  Can't correct the fact that we are destined for 90-110 losses this season. 

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I really think Villar got unlucky slipping off the base (he got back in time) and Mancini's line drive hitting him. I think he has the opposite of low baseball IQ. He's great at stealing bases even though he isn't especially fast and he's been able to consistently hit to the opposite field. That seems like high baseball IQ to me.

Yeah a couple of examples of bad luck could be just that. I never saw him play for Milwaukee so I don’t know if he had plays like this for them frequently but agree with your take. He could be a decent player for us. I wouldn’t have him in the long term plans but definitely as someone who can contribute in the meantime and get a good return on at some point.

Archived