Second guessing Hyde

Philip

Hyde doesn't have much to work with - but he's definitely done a lot of stuff that's made me scratch my head.

But, I think Elias has to get him some arms that can get him through a game. Rolling out Mike Wright and the gang to get shelled every game isn't sustainable - or fair to the pitchers either.

It is hard to evaluate Hyde's in-game decision-making when we are--understandably--not playing to win ball games.  Hyde's job is 100% development right now.  That includes developing the team, individuals, the culture and even himself.  EDIT: And of course making evaluations.

That said, I haven't seen any games.  I feel naked not watching the Orioles.

42 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

It is hard to evaluate Hyde's in-game decision-making when we are--understandably--not playing to win ball games.  Hyde's job is 100% development right now.  That includes developing the team, individuals, the culture and even himself.  EDIT: And of course making evaluations.

That said, I haven't seen any games.  I feel naked not watching the Orioles.

"Not playing to win games." That is just absurd. Yeah, this is a rebuilding year, but I'm not giving him a 100% pass. It's still his job to put a competitive team on the field every day. This is not a 162 spring training season. I also have total guarantee in this organization rebuilding and putting a decent team together - not a great one. The Orioles are cheap and will continue to be like that for the foreseeable future.  

14 hours ago, Philip said:

overall, why are the outfielders playing so far back? They are all very fast and should be playing a bit closer.

I’d speculate this is an analytics thing from the top before I’d blame Hyde.

Warning: More Uneducated Speculation Below

I’d not be surprised to find out if everything (or even anything) Hyde does is something other than “because Elias said so”. I feel like Hyde’s inexperience would make him an ideal yes man to the front office and he has the job because he will carry out orders.

This is the opposite of my perceived Buck/Dan power dynamic, where I think Buck was at least as intelligent as Dan when evaluating talent and probably loathed his role answering to him.

2 hours ago, IHaveRazorBurn said:

"Not playing to win games." That is just absurd. Yeah, this is a rebuilding year, but I'm not giving him a 100% pass. It's still his job to put a competitive team on the field every day. This is not a 162 spring training season. I also have total guarantee in this organization rebuilding and putting a decent team together - not a great one. The Orioles are cheap and will continue to be like that for the foreseeable future.  

Let me rephrase.

Prioritizing certain elements over winning games.

Suppose Hyde wants to see how a young pitcher handles adversity in The Show.  The only way he can find out is by taking a risk that a team prioritizing winning probably won't take often.  Does this make more sense?

20 hours ago, Philip said:

It seems that during every game, there’s at least one really surprising move. Some are understandable even if they initially look head-scratchy , like removing David Hess, and bringing in Araujo( we were up 6-0, after all)

Some seem much less justifiable, or at least worthy of intense discussion. I love baseball but don’t know as much as most people so I’d like to know:

overall, why are theboutfielders playing so far back? They are all very fast and should be playing a bit closer.

Why did Hyde pinch hit Davis for Rickard? 

Why did he pull Means after only 18 pitches? That forces him to use Fry for 29 pitches, though Fry could have gone longer.

Today we have Givens and Wright. What fun!

Thanks for thoughts.

Because Hyde was preparing Means to start on Tuesday.

• Upvote 1

This season is all about trying things and seeing what players shake out. Like Means getting a  chance to start. Hanser earning more PT. The value of Sucre calling games. 

We’re 4-5 and we’ve played the Yankees 6 games. We haven’t been an embarrassment. We have the fewest errors in baseball. The fact that we aren’t a laughing stock means Hyde has at least gotten through to the players. 

I’m second guessing Elias more. Arajuo making the OD roster. Calling up Wotherspoon over other options. Not having Straily pitch in the minors for a 1-2 games. Losing Drew Jackson. Not using the Norfolk shuttle enough early on. 

Hyde is in a bind. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This season is all about trying things and seeing what players shake out. Like Means getting a  chance to start. Hanser earning more PT. The value of Sucre calling games. 

We’re 4-5 and we’ve played the Yankees 6 games. We haven’t been an embarrassment. We have the fewest errors in baseball. The fact that we aren’t a laughing stock means Hyde has at least gotten through to the players. 

I’m second guessing Elias more. Arajuo making the OD roster. Calling up Wotherspoon over other options. Not having Straily pitch in the minors for a 1-2 games. Losing Drew Jackson. Not using the Norfolk shuttle enough early on. 

Hyde is in a bind. 

The only way that Straily could have pitched in the minors is if he signed a minor league contract.   He probably would not have signed with the O's if that is what the O's required him to do that.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

The only way that Straily could have pitched in the minors is if he signed a minor league contract.   He probably would not have signed with the O's if that is what the O's required him to do that.

I thought there were ways around that?  No biggie he can take his lumps in the pen for a few weeks. But that’s similar to our other relievers. “We might need this guy to pitch 3-4 IP, so we can’t use him out the pen for basically starter’s rest”. 

Ynoa should’ve made the OD roster. Keeping Arajuo has tired the pen out. Elias has not worked the shuttle the way he should nor the waiver wire. In fact I’ll go this far, Elias was/is cool with us losing 120.

I mean calling up Sam “Freaking” Wotherspoon?  That was a joke. Ynoa had a really good ST. And if Ynoa pitches terribly well DFA him. We can lose, that’s expected, but at least fire your best bullets with the guys that are ready. 

162 games is a long time to go. It’s not just hitting some “sim season” button on some CPU program. 

13 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The starter ERA is not that bad at 4:23. The bullpen is the second worst in the majors. The innings pitched by the starters is the worst in the majors. 

Using an opener twice reduces your starter average innings pitched.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hyde is in a bind. 

So you don’t like him trying to hold Arajuo for 15 days or whatever it was, but you wanted him to hold Jackson all year?