XM Sirius Merger Approved

cdrum

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have a source on this? Haven't seen anything yet.

Was approved back on Friday, 7/25/2008.

FCC approves long-proposed XM, Sirius merger

XM Satellite Radio Inc. and smaller rival Sirius Satellite Inc.have cleared the final hurdle in their merger.

The Federal Communications Commission late Friday gave its blessing to the $3.5 billion merger, after commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate cast her tie breaking vote. The merger had been supported buy two other commissioners and opposed by two members.

Approval comes with several conditions.The broadcasters agree to freeze subscription rates for three years and to allow subscribers to pick individual channels, known as a la carte programming, for cheaper monthly costs.

I've considered Satellite radio in the past, but I never wanted to choose between the two. Now that they are finally merged I may consider picking one up.

Agreed, neither has been able to sell me on its own but combined it might be worth it. Unless you are really in a hurry wait 6 months. Apparently from what I have read that is how long it is going to take for them to come out with a truly blended radio able to get everything from both. (For now XM radios will get some Sirius and vice versa, but apparently there are limitations.)

I've considered Satellite radio in the past, but I never wanted to choose between the two. Now that they are finally merged I may consider picking one up.

The clerk at Circuit City last Saturday claimed they would merge their "light" channels and retain those more distinctive (MLB, NFL, etc.) and market two distinct product lines. That doesn't seem to be consistent with what was in the Business Journal article, but who knows?

The clerk at Circuit City last Saturday claimed they would merge their "light" channels and retain those more distinctive (MLB, NFL, etc.) and market two distinct product lines. That doesn't seem to be consistent with what was in the Business Journal article, but who knows?

I think maybe both are right. I believe from what I have read they are keeping their separate brands, and the cheapest packages are going to be only XM or only Sirius. There will also eventually be a most expensive package that is all of everything from both. In between there will be other options to be announced, both themed packages (perhaps all sports?) and some sort of option to buy only certain channels.

The in between hasn't really been detailed, I don't think, though I remember someone on here linking to a PDF with details in another thread a few months ago. Something that would give me MLB, NHL, NFL, Celtic football and a few random music channels would be my choice.

Found the old thread and mweb's post. Here is the pricing detail. That 100 station a la carte for $14.99 looks appealing, but wonder what it means by "some." It wouldn't shock me if things like sports packages are excluded or something like that. I am guessing the "Super Premium Packages" for $5 or $6/month on the a la carte 1 are going to be sports packs like just MLB or just NFL.

Anyway will be interesting to see exactly what is offered, and how much customization they let you do.

I think it is great, if you currently are an XM/Sirius subscriber you do not have to update your current unit. Plus i will get MLB/NFL on XM...can't beat it, this merger will send satellite radio through the roof!

Found the old thread and mweb's post. Here is the pricing detail. That 100 station a la carte for $14.99 looks appealing, but wonder what it means by "some." It wouldn't shock me if things like sports packages are excluded or something like that. I am guessing the "Super Premium Packages" for $5 or $6/month on the a la carte 1 are going to be sports packs like just MLB or just NFL.

Anyway will be interesting to see exactly what is offered, and how much customization they let you do.

Has anyone seen a similar price list for XM, or for discount pricing for lengthier periods? All I care much about is the baseball package. Of the other channels, I listen to traffic occasionally, a couple music channels, old time radio, and occasionally their comedy channels. 90 percent of the XM channels I never listen to.

I'm looking to get XM packages in 3 vehicles as cheaply as possible. Just spent too much to have Circuit City do a custom installation in the new van, but haven't activated it yet. I was told that Sirius offers a deal where they provide a lifetime subscription for 3 units for $400; I've probably paid that much already for just XM on 1 unit.

I had XM installed two weekends ago. I took a long time to pull the trigger. If not for baseball I would have done Sirius, as I like their channel lineup a little better. But it wasn't enough to justify missing out on baseball. I like it so far. I knew going in the sound quality is not quite as good as terrestrial radio, and the density of occupied radio frequencies in the Baltimore-Washington area results in occasional static. But the deep music playlists and the amount of time I spend in a car make it well worth it.

Longflyball... It sounds as if you are not happy with the reception of your satelite radio in this area, (static, not clear). XM does makes a part that would work in conjunction with your xm unit it is called a FM Modulator very much similar to the one built into the unit but this one is wired.

What it does is act like a switch when your XM is powered on then it basically shuts off your terrestrial radio antenna. So the only thing that your car radio picks up is the signal from the XM unit. When you turn your XM radio off then all of your terrestrial radio stations come back.

The install is not difficult just a couple of plugs here and there, depending on what kind of car you drive. Most European and GM cars need and adaptor for this application to work. You could also get your local Circuit City, Best Buy or custom car shop to do the install.

The modulator usually runs about 25 bucks, and adaptors about 30. I believe that it is well worth it, not only in the Baltimore/Washington area with all of the stations out there in our area, but it will also allow you to have the radio set to a specific channel,(i.e. 89.1) from coast to coast with no interference.

I have Sirius and I like it although there are not really that many oppurtunities to listen to NFL and MLB would be a better fit for me. I got it as a gift and I really do like it.

So, I am hoping it won't change much of the price and we won't have to do anything plus I hope it is Sirius quality radio (Sirius is clearer and smoother IMO) with MLB and all of the other sports and specific shows that XM has made successful.

But it will probably cost more and be a battle for me to get what I want, but I have faith as of now

Archived