What other records will this team set

atomic

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah I think the runs allowed per game is only going to go up so the current pace isn't not legit.  I think they have been lucky so far. I see them shattering the runs allowed record. 

You're comic gold.  You failed to mention that the Orioles have allowed fewer runs than the Red Sox.  The Sox are on pace to allow 1066, coming off a World Series win.  Their collapse, which will certainly continue the rest of the year just like all the Orioles' paces, is unprecedented in modern baseball.  They may just contract the Red Sox in a few weeks.

The Mariners are on pace to score almost 1300 runs.  That's going to be a record that will stand for a long time.  The problem is that they're also on pace to be a -324 defensive team, which is kind of like having Ty Wigginton play every position.

The Rays are going to allow just 338 runs this year, which is something even the deadest of the deadball teams couldn't touch.  That's amazing.  Coming into the season I didn't even realize they had a staff of Walter Johnsons.

I love April.  And by "love" I mean "love to laugh at".

14 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Runs allowed the past 5 years
593-693-715-841-892
Breaking the A.L. record would be double the runs allowed only 5 years ago.   

I've said before that it's way too early to project out what the final numbers will be.   For example, in 2018, the Orioles hit 15 triples, and projecting that number out will mean 59 triples this year.   That pales in comparison to the 1894 N.L. Orioles (153).  Who could forget the unfortunately named Heinie Reinz who hit 36 triples that season?

I agree

14 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

That pales in comparison to the 1894 N.L. Orioles (153).  Who could forget the unfortunately named Heinie Reinz who hit 36 triples that season?

Heinie is a nickname for Heinrich, a common German name.  Reitz hit 31 triples in '94, tied with Dave Orr for second all time behind Chief Wilson's 36. Curtis Granderson (23, 2007) holds the post-WWII record.  I think Wilson's mark is the professional record, not even in the 200+ game schedules of the old PCL did anyone get to 36 triples.

Reitz really only had that one good season, coinciding with the biggest offensive year in history, at least since the 1870s.  He played through 1897 but never had more than six triples in a season.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Or rather, you desperately need this to be the worst Major League team you've ever seen in order to validate your opinions on management's strategic decisions.

It's not desperate.  He is simply setting the goal posts so that he can judge the rebuild entirely on where the team is today.  It's as honest and meaningful as judging open heart surgery by screaming "you're killing him", on the opening cut because, well, blood.

28 minutes ago, foxfield said:

It's not desperate.  He is simply setting the goal posts so that he can judge the rebuild entirely on where the team is today.  It's as honest and meaningful as judging open heart surgery by screaming "you're killing him", on the opening cut because, well, blood.

That's partly right.  He wants us to be sure everyone knows that he's against whatever Orioles management is doing.  The worse the team is at any particular moment the easier to make the case that he's the only one who is right, and everyone else is wrong. 

Also, being against everything the team does on a team-centric messageboard ensures that we meet his primary goal: that we are discussing him more than the Orioles.  Yes, we're enabling him.  We should probably stop.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Or rather, you desperately need this to be the worst Major League team you've ever seen in order to validate your opinions on management's strategic decisions.

Nope they are the worst.  Find a team worse in the last 50 years.  Ridiculous comment on your part.  

56 minutes ago, foxfield said:

If they win less than 50 games and set other records for ineptitude that will be the goal posts for being horrible team.

Archived