Severino removed from todays game

Legend_Of_Joey

Severino was hit in the head on a (luckily) 76 mile per hour breaking ball. He was down for a bit and was allowed to run the bases, before Sucre replaced him on defense to start the next inning.

He passed concussion tests and will travel to Boston, while Sisco was scratched from the Norfolk line up tonight as a precaution.

In the game thread, there were a couple of people (myself included) who questioned allowing him to stay in the game in the first place. 

35 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I heard he was starting baseball activities at extended spring training... I think maybe 5 or 6 days ago?

Last report was he went 3-4 with a long home run in his Extended Spring Training game, would catch Wednesday and play in Bowie on Friday as a rehab assignment.

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Severino was hit in the head on a (luckily) 76 mile per hour breaking ball. He was down for a bit and was allowed to run the bases, before Sucre replaced him on defense to start the next inning.

He passed concussion tests and will travel to Boston, while Sisco was scratched from the Norfolk line up tonight as a precaution.

In the game thread, there were a couple of people (myself included) who questioned allowing him to stay in the game in the first place. 

He should not have been allowed to stay in the game. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why risk it?  Any update on Wynns?

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Agreed. No idea why he was allowed to stay in and run. As cautious as they have been with the pitchers, this didn't make sense at all.

13 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I was at work and someone posted the video of Severino getting hit on the game thread. Watching that I don’t know how anyone with the team thought it was ok to let him take 1B.

Elias needs to have a talk with the coaching staff and not let this happen again.

Ironic really how shortsighted so many in sports are. Simply because he did not meet the stringent, completely arbitrary requirements to be diagnosed with a "concussion" does not mean he did not suffer brain damage...

40 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Ironic really how shortsighted so many in sports are. Simply because he did not meet the stringent, completely arbitrary requirements to be diagnosed with a "concussion" does not mean he did not suffer brain damage...

At least Severino did get pulled. Twenty years ago he probably finishes the game.

Archived