1/10th of the way through O's on pace for 61-101

wildcard

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are you?  Cashner is terrible.  9 strikeouts in 20 innings against 11 walks.  His FIP is 6.44.  1.623 WHIP.  

That's not a great start.  I think those numbers come down a little bit, but I don't see why a winning team would add a guy like that to their rotation.  

A good offensive team might.  Cashier is pretty consistent he won’t be shut down guy but gets you 5 or 6 innings and gives up 3 runs.  Look at his record over career when getting 3 runs or more 40-11 as a starter.  He may not look pretty and dominant but get him some runs and he wins games.  

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildcard said:

Cashner is 3-0 with a 3.31 ERA in April.  He was bad in the opener which I can just throw out because he has improved since  and I am projecting what he will continue to do.   His fastball looks much better to me.  And yes I am watching the games unlike many that are saying they are not.

What part of the fastball looks better? 

You can cling to ERA all you want, he still has walked more than he's struck out in April and batters are hitting .258 against him in those starts.  By saying he's got a 3.31 ERA you're essentially admitting that he's been lucky.  

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cashner has an option year after his season.  His fastball looks much better this season.  I think Brocail has him pitching better.  He will likely improve his ERA into the mid 4.00s.   If he does that I think the O's will get offers for him.  The talent in return will probably be a good young reliever or young position player.

If Mike Elias can get a good young reliever or young position player in exchange for Andrew Freakin' Cashner, he should win Executive of the Year. Best case scenario is a Brad Brach situation, where the O's manage to find a team to take on Cashner's salary in exchange for international money or something.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

A good offensive team might.  Cashier is pretty consistent he won’t be shut down guy but gets you 5 or 6 innings and gives up 3 runs.  Look at his record over career when getting 3 runs or more 40-11 as a starter.  He may not look pretty and dominant but get him some runs and he wins games.  

I've seen that stat bandied about and it means poop to me, most pitchers need runs to win games.  His ERA since 2016 is 4.61, before that it was 3.59.  He's getting worse, not better.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you look at the link I provided?

Yes,  But what I am seeing is that when Cashner wants to reach back for 94-95 he can.   And he is executing in  tight spots.    I think between Brocail and the catchers he is pitching much better.  Last year his average against was .291.  In April this year it as been .258.

Just now, wildcard said:

Yes,  But what I am seeing is that when Cashner wants to reach back for 94-95 he can.   And he is executing in  tight spots.    I think between Brocail and the catchers he is pitching much better.  Last year his average against was .291.  In April this year it as been .258.

.258 still sucks!!

10 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Supply and Demand.  Toronto, Baltimore, Kansas City, Texas, LAA, Possibly Detroit and CHW may all be Sellers at the deadline.  That is just in the AL.  Given that we may be talking 21 or more starters and 40ish relievers available, why would the Orioles be more valuable than the others???

That is a lot of moving part.  We will have to see in July.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've seen that stat bandied about and it means poop to me, most pitchers need runs to win games.  His ERA since 2016 is 4.61, before that it was 3.59.  He's getting worse, not better.  

His Era was 5.25 in 2016 3.40 Was in 2017.  I don’t think he I saw a 3.40 Era guy but if he can pitch to 4.5 or so his contract won’t be bad for 3 million for end of season 2 months.  

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

His velocity isn't up from last year.

Just now, bpilktree said:

His Era was 5.25 in 2016 3.40 Was in 2017.  I don’t think he I saw a 3.40 Era guy but if he can pitch to 4.5 or so his contract won’t be bad for 3 million for end of season 2 months.  

I know, 2017 is the outlier with him, for sure.  His FIP in 2017 was 4.61.  

He's not a 3.40 guy, for sure.  I see little reason that he can throw to a 4.5 ERA.  You're right, at 3 million it's not bad for 2 months at the end of the season...but if you're a fan of a playoff contending team and you swing a trade for Andrew Cashner, what's your initial reaction?

9 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

If Mike Elias can get a good young reliever or young position player in exchange for Andrew Freakin' Cashner, he should win Executive of the Year. Best case scenario is a Brad Brach situation, where the O's manage to find a team to take on Cashner's salary in exchange for international money or something.

Cashner is not comparable with Brach.   Starter vs reliever.  Brach had a terrible year with  O's in 2018.  His ERA at the time of the trade was 4.58.  If Cashner pitches poorly he will have no trade value but that is not what is happening so far in April.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Cashner is not comparable with Brach.   Starter vs reliever.  Brach had a terrible year with  O's in 2018.  His ERA at the time of the trade was 4.58.  If Cashner pitches poorly he will have no trade value but that is not what is happening so far in April.

Well they should trade him now and hope that whoever they're dealing with on the other end is a complete dolt and is only looking at April, 2019.

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are you?  Cashner is terrible.  9 strikeouts in 20 innings against 11 walks.  His FIP is 6.44.  1.623 WHIP.  

That's not a great start.  I think those numbers come down a little bit, but I don't see why a winning team would add a guy like that to their rotation.  

Cashner is a fifth starter on a legit playoff team. The only thing you will get for trading him is salary relief. 

Archived