The Silver Lining Report: Game 17/162 ( O's win 8-1)

interloper

It's a split in Boston and the O's have yet to lose a road series!

• Dan Straily: Great success. 5 strong innings of mostly weak contact, only 2 hits and 1 walk allowed, and got the win. This is the kind of stabilizing performance we hoped to see from Dan. In fact, maybe we can cautiously say the rotation is beginning to come around. 

• Chris Davis: I will refrain from Bordick-isms, but it was nice to see the big man go deep. He sure relished that trip around the bases ?. He's now nipping at Mullins' heels with a .086. Oh, and he broke another bat on his knee after a strikeout, which must be a very satisfying thing to be able to do and I'm jealous.

• Dwight Smith Jr.: Bounced into 2 double plays before going Super Sayan and deciding to drive in 4 runs with his second 2-run Pesky Pole Squeaker and a 2-run opposite field double in the 9th. Good for an even .800 OPS on the year. Gotta love this guy! Pull that lawnmower cord, young man.

• Renato Nunez: Speaking of finding good players on waivers, Renato continues to show that, yes, he's a Major League hitter, thank you very much. Slammed an RBI single off the monster and picked up 2 more hits, including a 2B. 3-5 on the day and his average is closing in on .300. That'll work!

• Trey Mancini: Ho hum, another two hit game with a double from the All Star RF. OPS hanging out at 1.101. ?‍♂️

• Jonathan Villar: RBI single, SB, 2 BB, 2 R. Good fantasy line! 

• Jimmy Yacabonis: He's getting a lot more trust to pitch in big spots this year and he's not disappointing. He's an expert gap-filler in all these 5 inning starts and he came up big again today, notching another scoreless outing over 1.1 IP. 

• Paul Fry: Couple of really big outs. Can't say enough about Paul Fry, man. He and Jimmy are a steady duo out there.

• Phillips and Castro: 2 scoreless innings to end the game, and nice to see Castro have back-to-back scoreless outings. Perhaps he's coming around a little.

• The Red Sox: Consider the following: The Sox got beat at home on Patriot's Day by $500,000 Dan Straily who throws 90mph, the .086-hitting Chris Davis, two waiver claim guys who drove in 5 runs combined, and a bullpen consisting of Some Guys. All while inexplicably playing their catcher at 2B and Pearce in LF (who has actually played 2B) and generally looking goofy out there. And they're a game behind the O's. Yikes!

• Brandon Hyde: Attaboy Skip! Get your money's worth babayyyy!!! 

• Mini ?s: So Ruiz is basically good for a walk per game, which is pretty cool. Sucre had a nice hit to go with a walk of his own. And Martin picked up two walks himself, which, whatcha doin Red Sox? Two double plays were turned, one started by Martin, the other by Villar. 

• NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED

51 minutes ago, interloper said:

• Dan Straily: Great success. 5 strong innings of mostly weak contact, only 2 hits and 1 walk allowed, and got the win. This is the kind of stabilizing performance we hoped to see from Dan. In fact, maybe we can cautiously say the rotation is beginning to come around. 

• Chris Davis: I will refrain from Bordick-isms, but it was nice to see the big man go deep. He sure relished that trip around the bases ?. He's now nipping at Mullins' heels with a .086. Oh, and he broke another bat on his knee after a strikeout, which must be a very satisfying thing to be able to do and I'm jealous.

• Dwight Smith Jr.: Bounced into 2 double plays before going Super Sayan and deciding to drive in 4 runs with his second 2-run Pesky Pole Squeaker and a 2-run opposite field double in the 9th. Good for an even .800 OPS on the year. Gotta love this guy! Pull that lawnmower cord, young man.

• Renato Nunez: Speaking of finding good players on waivers, Renato continues to show that, yes, he's a Major League hitter, thank you very much. Slammed an RBI single off the monster and picked up 2 more hits, including a 2B. 3-5 on the day and his average is closing in on .300. That'll work!

• Trey Mancini: Ho hum, another two hit game with a double from the All Star RF. OPS hanging out at 1.101. ?‍♂️

• Jimmy Yacabonis: He's getting a lot more trust to pitch in big spots this year and he's not disappointing. He's an expert gap-filler in all these 5 inning starts and he came up big again today, notching another scoreless outing over 1.1 IP. 

• Paul Fry: Couple of really big outs. Can't say enough about Paul Fry, man. He and Jimmy are a steady duo out there.

• Phillips and Castro: 2 scoreless innings to end the game, and nice to see Castro have back-to-back scoreless outings. Perhaps he's coming around a little.

• The Red Sox: Consider the following: The Sox got beat at home on Patriot's Day by $500,000 Dan Straily who throws 90mph, the .086-hitting Chris Davis, two waiver claim guys who drove in 5 runs combined, and a bullpen consisting of Some Guys. All while inexplicably playing their catcher at 2B and Pearce in LF (who has actually played 2B) and generally looking goofy out there. And they're a game behind the O's. Yikes!

• Mini ?s: So Ruiz is basically good for a walk per game, which is pretty cool. Sucre had a nice hit to go with a walk of his own. And Martin picked up two walks himself, which, whatcha doin Red Sox? Two double plays were turned, one started by Martin, the other by Villar. 

Finally!  Why you do thees to me, Deemee (remember the Exorcist)?  Do you really have to edit, recapitulate and fine tune this bad boy so much?  Do you actually have another job to do in life?  As Hyder might scream, "WTF!!!!".

Yacker using the slider and going low with it.  I'm starting to actually like this young man.  He seems to act like he's been there (but he actually hasn't).

When will tonight's summary of silver threads be appearing?  I need to know that it will await me in the am when I log on!  ? ?  Am I a troll?  :leaving:

A complete end to end solid thumping.

The Orioles did what a good team should do against a floundering, underperforming team.  I'm not saying the Orioles are good by any stretch but it's a good sign.  A good team should be able to put together a game like they did yesterday against the Sox.  A better team would take 3/4 but we got a split and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Never would have expected that a month ago.

39 minutes ago, interloper said:

Linked in the front page article. 

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

A complete end to end solid thumping.

The Orioles did what a good team should do against a floundering, underperforming team.  I'm not saying the Orioles are good by any stretch but it's a good sign.  A good team should be able to put together a game like they did yesterday against the Sox.  A better team would take 3/4 but we got a split and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Never would have expected that a month ago.

The Red Sox have some issues to start the season. Sale does not have the velocity yet. The catching is not that great ,hitting wise. Pearce is a decent off the bench player that had a great World Series. Devers is like the Orioles Nunez at third. Pedroia  either needs some more playing time to get back into playing form or is done. Could all change in a flash but Red Sox have some issues including the pitching. 

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The 2009  Phillies and Orioles are now tied for most homers allowed each game   to start a season. The Phillies finished 93-69 and lost to the Yankees in the World Series. So now the Orioles will finish 93-69 and lose to the Phillies in the World Series. 

The only question that I have is whether this is a "silver lining" or not?  Is it a silver lining to finish 93-69?  Yes.  Is it a silver lining to make the WS?  Yes.  Is it a silver lining to lose the WS???????  :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

The Red Sox have some issues to start the season. Sale does not have the velocity yet. The catching is not that great ,hitting wise. Pearce is a decent off the bench player that had a great World Series. Devers is like the Orioles Nunez at third. Pedroia  either needs some more playing time to get back into playing form or is done. Could all change in a flash but Red Sox have some issues including the pitching. 

BitterInconsequentialAmericantoad-size_r

Boo Frickety Hoo, Boston!

NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

BitterInconsequentialAmericantoad-size_r

Boo Frickety Hoo, Boston!

And to add insult to injury, I'm calling out freakin Vasquez and Co. for stepping out after every frickety pitch!  And oh yes Benintendi, the golden boy from Arkansas who never does anything wrong, with his little baby wasting time after hitting his ankle (armed with ankle guard) and whining his way up and down the base path!!!!!!  ?

16 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! NO HOME RUNS ALLOWED! 

Added to OP!

47 minutes ago, bobmc said:

The only question that I have is whether this is a "silver lining" or not?  Is it a silver lining to finish 93-69?  Yes.  Is it a silver lining to make the WS?  Yes.  Is it a silver lining to lose the WS???????  :ph34r:

I'd rather lose the WS than have the Skankees win it.

Archived